SX40HS can't seem to get remote shutter to work - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

SX40HS can't seem to get remote shutter to work

• 2 Replies
SX40HS can't seem to get remote shutter to work
« on: 07 / October / 2013, 19:37:42 »
Advertisements
Have successfully installed CHDK v1.20-1331 on a Canon SX40HS. Good results with RAW. Using Lightroom 5.2 to import and touch up. Nice stuff.

Can't seem to get the remote shutter to work.  Under CHDK settings \ Remote parameters, I have enabled switch, set type to OnePush and alternately TwoPush, mode to Normal (also tried Quick).  With <ALT> either on or not, can not get remote to work.

My remote is a push-button on pocket flashlight, using 2 CR2016 cells. Initially used 1 cell, tapping the center point, but that connection (following notes) puts reverse voltage to the mini-USB in standby.  Bad move to the CMOS IC in the SX40HS!  NOT recommended.  When the 2 cells are loaded by the LED, the voltage (open circuit would be 6V) immediately sags to 4V due to internal resistance of the button cells. Have confirmed 4V delivered to the mini-USB pins (yes, correct polarity). That should be fine for the CMOS in the SX40HS to respond. No joy.  Do need the remote shutter trick for tripod.  Good idea, but.....?

Did I miss something?

Would appreciate feedback from anybody using remote shutter successfully on SX20 or SX30 or SX40.  I do also have an older SX20is, have not tried the switch on it.

Re: SX40HS can't seem to get remote shutter to work
« Reply #1 on: 07 / October / 2013, 20:09:29 »
Have confirmed 4V delivered to the mini-USB pins (yes, correct polarity). That should be fine for the CMOS in the SX40HS to respond.

How do you know ?

Disconnect the led.

Would appreciate feedback from anybody using remote shutter successfully on SX20 or SX30 or SX40.

I have an SX40hs.

I use one of these nice little switches : http://www.flickr.com/photos/fvdk3d/sets/72157624151791739/

(declaration of interest .. I was given a free sample years ago)

David

Re: SX40HS can't seem to get remote shutter to work
« Reply #2 on: 07 / October / 2013, 22:30:47 »
Can't seem to get the remote shutter to work.  Under CHDK settings \ Remote parameters, I have enabled switch, set type to OnePush and alternately TwoPush, mode to Normal (also tried Quick).  With <ALT> either on or not, can not get remote to work.
Sound like you have things setup correctly.  For the record, the switch will only trigger the shutter when you are not in <ALT> mode.

My remote is a push-button on pocket flashlight, using 2 CR2016 cells. Initially used 1 cell, tapping the center point, but that connection (following notes) puts reverse voltage to the mini-USB in standby.  Bad move to the CMOS IC in the SX40HS!  NOT recommended.
You may very well have fried the USB input at this point.  Can you connect to the camera using a standard USB cable and Canon PC software ? 

When the 2 cells are loaded by the LED, the voltage (open circuit would be 6V) immediately sags to 4V due to internal resistance of the button cells. Have confirmed 4V delivered to the mini-USB pins (yes, correct polarity).
That should be fine for the CMOS in the SX40HS to respond. No joy.
Four volts should be more than enough.

Did I miss something?
One simple and fool proof way to test USB remote functionality is to use a standard USB cable to connect the camera to your computer.  With CHDK setup as you have done (above)  simply plug the cable in to simulate a switch press and unplug it to simulate a switch release.  In one press & normal modes this should cause the camera to focus when the cable is plugged in and shoot when it is released.

Would appreciate feedback from anybody using remote shutter successfully on SX20 or SX30 or SX40.  I do also have an older SX20is, have not tried the switch on it.
If the USB remote feature did not work on any of those cameras,  we would have heard about it long before now.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16