supplierdeeply

Format for Aperture

• 3 Replies
  • Publish
    Format for Aperture
    « on: 13 / April / 2008, 05:46:53 »
    Advertisements
    Ok, so I've installed CHDK on my Canon G7 and taken some pictures in RAW format.  What I'm attempting to do is to see the difference between .jpg and .RAW.  I can download the RAW pictures to my Mac, but Aperture does not understand the .CRW format and will not import them.  I've also tried to use some of the other formats, .jpg .CR2 no luck. 
    So I tried PhotoShop, same problem.  I'm missing something, can anyone tell me what?  Thanks in advance

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
  • Publish
    Re: Format for Aperture
    « Reply #1 on: 13 / April / 2008, 06:06:00 »
    Hi

Since RAW's are just the binary data that your sensor spits out, they need to be be converted to some kind of
    standardized format. The most well known of this is .DNG (for Digital Negative i suppose) by Adobe.
    Try this utility to perform the conversion:

DNG4PS-2

wim

• Publish
    « Reply #2 on: 15 / April / 2008, 04:08:15 »
    Thanks for the reply.  I'm in a location that is blocking MacPorts but as soon as I get back home I'm going to install.  I was actually able to use the windows version of conversion software via parallels, but the pics are all blue?  Guess it will take more experimenting.  I'm still not convinced that RAW is all that necessary, .jpg certainly seems to work just fine for me.

• Publish
    « Reply #3 on: 15 / April / 2008, 08:37:45 »
    Deleted
    « Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 17:53:10 by Barney Fife »
    [acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye