Raw processing - noise removal - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum

Raw processing - noise removal

• 9 Replies
Raw processing - noise removal
« on: 15 / April / 2008, 07:27:27 »
Advertisements
I'm having a hard time making my RAW files reach the smoothness and crispyness of camera generated JPG files.

Lightroom (or any other demosaicing noise removing software) does a slight job, leaving no color noise, but allot of medium frequency noise in the picture. Not to mention terrible noise on dark areas.

Using Lightroom's noise reduction and further processing in Neat Image, I get a bit of posterizing, sharper unwanted edges and too much softness compared to direct RAW noise reduction in Neat Image. Of course, direct RAW processing in Neat Image leaves alot of fuzz...
« Last Edit: 15 / April / 2008, 07:30:25 by mrproper »

Re: Raw processing - noise removal
« Reply #1 on: 15 / April / 2008, 09:18:10 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 17:49:47 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

« Reply #2 on: 15 / April / 2008, 09:42:34 »
I'll try Photoline too. At 7mpx, noise is a bit less important than correct lighting and shooting methods. But still, some things can be done to get that extra bit of detail.

Neat Image has a cool automatic noise profiling method based on the current image, and profiling custom noise areas after that, offers little improvement.

My problem is that processing the JPGs and RAWs from the same shot, I get less noise problems in the jpg.

« Reply #3 on: 15 / April / 2008, 10:04:36 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 17:50:06 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

« Reply #4 on: 15 / April / 2008, 10:13:43 »
I personally have NR turned off permanently in CHDK's options because I found that it creates less noise in underexposed areas, where noise is always worse. (counter-intuitive but true)

You are right, it's less noisy that way, but not counter-intuitive. Taking a shot with the lens covered shows just how noisy the CCD is, but... if you take another shot, you will see the noise patterns DO NOT MATCH. So why substract a noisy image from another unrelated noisy image? It's not the right thing to do.

BTW, you might be interested in this little enhancing test I've done:
http://upload.entropiahost.com/files/1/7.1mpx.JPG
http://upload.entropiahost.com/files/1/28mpx.jpg

« Reply #5 on: 15 / April / 2008, 10:20:24 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 17:50:24 by Barney Fife »

Offline jetzt

• [A710IS,(SD200)]
« Reply #6 on: 15 / April / 2008, 12:47:29 »
There are that many resizers out there :D, why do some people think not to use it :(.
We have fast connections here, but it took quite long (rising expectations).
I mean who the ... has an screen with more than 1600xSSSS?

« Reply #7 on: 15 / April / 2008, 13:06:58 »
Oops, I forgot... I enjoy my 3 Mbps 20$ connection very much... sorry :D

Unfortunately the download is only relevant if downloaded in full, and at high quality (since dealing with noise issues).

« Reply #8 on: 15 / April / 2008, 15:34:08 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 17:50:45 by Barney Fife »

« Reply #9 on: 15 / April / 2008, 15:47:41 »
No, it wasn't but I'll get busy finding a cat and shooting it now... :)

I'll consider uploading crops next time I upload stuff. I'm thinking about doing a little comparison tests with that specific cocktail glass, but what I need is a good demosaicing tool, with more options on RAW processing, like easyHDR provides.