Can I use a card with chdk in ANY camera for normal NON CHDK photos - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Can I use a card with chdk in ANY camera for normal NON CHDK photos

• 2 Replies
Advertisements
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this and I was wondering if I can use a chdk loaded memory card as a normal card in any other camera.

I've set my first chdk card to be bootable, and I would like to put it on ALL my memory cards, provided it's safe to put them in my other cameras. 

They are Panasonic and Samsung, but I just love the chdk features for HDR, which is what I shoot in almost exclusively now, so UNTIL hacking of those brands becomes accessible I want to load chdk onto all my cards.

Thanks,
             Tim

BTW, brilliant and cool CAPTCHA!!

Re: Can I use a card with chdk in ANY camera for normal NON CHDK photos
« Reply #1 on: 17 / October / 2013, 10:22:45 »
I'm new to this and I was wondering if I can use a chdk loaded memory card as a normal card in any other camera.
The other camera brands should just ignore the CHDK files & boot configuration.

I've set my first chdk card to be bootable, and I would like to put it on ALL my memory cards, provided it's safe to put them in my other cameras. 
Its technically possible for something weird to happen but it seems really unlikely that anything will happen.

They are Panasonic and Samsung, but I just love the chdk features for HDR, which is what I shoot in almost exclusively now, so UNTIL hacking of those brands becomes accessible I want to load chdk onto all my cards.
Don't hold your breath waiting for a non-Canon camera hack.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

Re: Can I use a card with chdk in ANY camera for normal NON CHDK photos
« Reply #2 on: 17 / October / 2013, 16:12:50 »
The other camera brands should just ignore the CHDK files & boot configuration.
I agree, it would be very surprising if some other proprietary firmware recognized the same stuff. One exception would be if you are using a multiple partition card, in that case it wouldn't be surprising if the other brands go confused.

It could also be annoying if you forgot to unlock the card when you put in it in the other brand cam, or lock it again when you put it in the Canon.
Don't forget what the H stands for.