KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script - page 15 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum

KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script

• 1068 Replies
Re: KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script
« Reply #140 on: 26 / March / 2014, 04:33:36 »
Advertisements
I believe the following issue is purely KAP_UAV related

I decided to re-installed CHDK for A2500 along with latest KAP_UAV which used to work perfectly on previous versions. I am perfectly aware that the A2500 is a pre-alpha  :-X

With the new version of KAP_UAV I have now the following msg :
*** STARTED ***
KAP 2-2 started - Press Menu to exit
CHDK 1.3.0-3250 a2500 100a Nov 28 2013
CHDK 1.2.0 build 3276 or higher required
*** FINISHED ***

So my beloved kap_uav script is on strike. Is CHDK 1.3.0 not higher than 1.2.0 ?  :haha :P
FYI, other scripts installed per default still work well (intervalometer, etc...)

*** UPDATE
I kept CHDK 1.3 but downgraded to KAP_UAV 1.2 and guess what ? It works fine but also saves the script parameters values !

Hope that helps.

Phil
« Last Edit: 26 / March / 2014, 05:00:01 by philgib »

« Reply #141 on: 26 / March / 2014, 07:15:27 »
tl;dr >  use the most recent CHDK 1.3.0 to run kap_uav version 2.2

I believe the following issue is purely KAP_UAV related
Actually,  it's not.  Both the 1.2, 1.6 and 2.2 versions of the script are just fine.

But I can see how you could be confused about it.

With the new version of KAP_UAV I have now the following msg :
*** STARTED ***
KAP 2-2 started - Press Menu to exit
CHDK 1.3.0-3250 a2500 100a Nov 28 2013
CHDK 1.2.0 build 3276 or higher required
*** FINISHED ***
So my beloved kap_uav script is on strike.
This tells me you are running the 3250 build of  CHDK release 1.3.0.  That's an older version of CHDK 1.3.0 released prior to the problems with saving script parameters and before the changes to SD overrides that the 2.2 version of kap_uav.lua needs when using CHDK 1.3.0

So the script correctly refused to run.

Is CHDK 1.3.0 not higher than 1.2.0 ?
This is probably why you are confused.  The source code for all versions of CHDK are kept in same svn version control repository.  When an change is made to any version,  the revision number for the whole repository increments.  So CHDK 1.3.0-3250 is actually older than CHDK 1.2.0-3275 in terms of what version of the code repository it was built from, even though it may contain changes and updates not found in CHDK 1.2.0-3275.

If that's confusing,  you'll just have to trust me on that one.

Compounding this confusion (and hence the deceptive error message) is the fact that the 2.2 version of the script will work with older versions of CHDK 1.2.0, which do not have the SD override updates used for "focus at infinity". When the script see 1.2.0, it uses older (inferior) methods to try and set focus at infinity.  It could probably also do that for older versions of 1.3.0 but doesn't.

FYI, other scripts installed per default still work well (intervalometer, etc...)
They will as long as they are not trying to use the new features of 1.3.0

*** UPDATE
I kept CHDK 1.3 but downgraded to KAP_UAV 1.2 and guess what ? It works fine but also saves the script parameters values !
Proving my point.  kap_uav 1.2 does not use the new MF features of 1.3.0 and so does not need a recent version of 1.3.0  And the old version of 1.3.0 you are using did not have the problem with saving script parameters.  (Incidentally,   kap_uav 1.6 is the most recent version that does not need an up-to-date 1.3.0 release)

The answer here is to update your CHDK 1.3.0 version to 3394 or newer (which has the fix for the script parameter bug and the new SD overrride MF code) and you should be back in business for the most recent 2.2 version of kap_uav.lua !
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #142 on: 29 / March / 2014, 04:14:09 »

From the images I could see - and I'm not a pixel peeper - the issue seems to be focus rather than motion blur.  Unfortunately,  Canon in its wisdom does not embed focus distance information in its exif data.  Did you happen to enable logging in the script?  Focus distance of each shot is recorded there.

Hello,

This morning i have made some flights using v2.2 and settings at infinity mode @shot :

http://www.myap.ro/kap-script-v-2-2-trials/

In the topic there are OK and NOK pictures and also the KAP log.

I observed on the log that I am using CHDK 1.2.0-3338 , this could affect somehow the "focus at infinity mode" performances?

Thank you.

« Reply #143 on: 29 / March / 2014, 09:34:23 »
This morning i have made some flights using v2.2 and settings at infinity mode @shot :
I observed on the log that I am using CHDK 1.2.0-3338 , this could affect somehow the "focus at infinity mode" performances?
According to your log,  only a few of your shots were actually focused at infinity.  Some are focused as close as .2 meters.

And according to reported test results for the sx230,  the @shot mode will not work.   

Please try setting the "focus at infinity mode" to MF .

Update : IMG_4723 is marked as good while IMG_4724 is marked as bad.  Both have their focus set at 3.2m.  So something else is affected the image quality.  But the focus setting is not helping. Unfortunately, none of the images in your sample set (good or bad) are focused at infinity.
« Last Edit: 29 / March / 2014, 09:48:52 by waterwingz »

« Reply #144 on: 29 / March / 2014, 10:00:12 »
According to your log,  only a few of your shots were actually focused at infinity.  Some are focused as close as .2 meters.

And according to reported test results for the sx230,  the @shot mode will not work.   

Please try setting the "focus at infinity mode" to MF .

Update : IMG_4723 is marked as good while IMG_4724 is marked as bad.  Both have their focus set at 3.2m.  So something else is affected the image quality.  But the focus setting is not helping. Unfortunately, none of the images in your sample set (good or bad) are focused at infinity.

Thanks for the advices I will do another flight with focus at infinity mode set to MF and come with the feedback.

« Reply #145 on: 29 / March / 2014, 10:35:06 »
Thanks for the advices I will do another flight with focus at infinity mode set to MF and come with the feedback.
You might want to delete the log file from your SD card prior to the test.  Each test adds to the previous one so it can get pretty big.

« Reply #146 on: 29 / March / 2014, 10:56:51 »
You might want to delete the log file from your SD card prior to the test.  Each test adds to the previous one so it can get pretty big.

I have made an indoor test using MF but i have an error on the screen : 218: native calls disabled and the script stops.

Using AFL the script is running with no issues.

I have attached the last information from the KAP log.

« Reply #147 on: 29 / March / 2014, 11:00:28 »

I have made an indoor test using MF but i have an error on the screen : 218: native calls disabled and the script stops.

Using AFL the script is running with no issues.

I have attached the last information from the KAP log.
The new log shows the camera going into AFL mode but the focus is not being set to infinity.

To get rid of the error message (if you want to try MF mode),  go to the CHDK Miscellaneous menu and select "Enable Lua Native Calls".

You might want to upgrade to CHDK 1.3.0 if you continue to have focus issues.  The MF & AFL code are completely rewritten in the 1.3.0 and will work much more reliably.
« Last Edit: 29 / March / 2014, 11:02:49 by waterwingz »

« Reply #148 on: 30 / March / 2014, 14:42:38 »
Hi Waterwingz,

Today i had the chance to do some flights with  CHDK 1.3.0-3402 sx230hs , KAP v2.2 - i have tried MF  also AFL modes. Looking at the KAP log it seems that during AFL the focus was set to infinity in the majority of cases while on MF only few times.

« Reply #149 on: 30 / March / 2014, 14:57:58 »
Today i had the chance to do some flights with  CHDK 1.3.0-3402 sx230hs , KAP v2.2 - i have tried MF  also AFL modes. Looking at the KAP log it seems that during AFL the focus was set to infinity in the majority of cases while on MF only few times.
Thanks for the log !  Seems to be related to stopping and restarting shooting via the USB signal.

It looks like the camera drops out of MF mode when the USB signal tells it to stop and then restart shooting.    AFL mode might have that problem too - your log does not show you stopping and restarting while in AFL mode.

I'll do some testing myself and issue an update if I find something.

Update : doesn't seem to loose MF lock on my A1200.   But I've updated the script to unlock focus when the USB power =0v and relock focus when USB power returns (assuming a focus lock at infinity mode has been selected in the first place).  Download from the usual link :  kap_uav.lua version 2.3
« Last Edit: 30 / March / 2014, 15:18:37 by waterwingz »