KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script - page 43 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum

KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script

• 1068 Replies
Re: KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script
« Reply #420 on: 02 / June / 2015, 05:56:12 »
Advertisements
Thanks for the update to the script. I am planning to use this script on my Canon IXUS115 on a high altitude balloon flight. I have installed the script and testing it now.

I am facing one problem - I have disabled the display to conserve battery. But I see that the camera shows the countdown until next image (images every 15 seconds). Because of this, the screen is never off even though I want it to be off and I have enabled the setting to do so.

Is there a way to stop the countdown and so save the battery life?

« Reply #421 on: 02 / June / 2015, 08:15:42 »
Is there a way to stop the countdown and so save the battery life?
I'm guessing that you have not disabled the Shot Review setting in the Canon Menu (i.e. set it to Off) ?  That's the Canon setting that determines how long a copy of your most recent image taken is displayed after the shot completes.  It needs to be set to Off for the script to be able to disable the LCD.

If that's not causing the problem, I'll post a link to a short test script that will tell us if there is a problem with the set_lcd_display(0) function on your camera.

Edit :  link to test script :  http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=9969.msg120923#msg120923
« Last Edit: 02 / June / 2015, 08:22:35 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #422 on: 02 / June / 2015, 10:19:50 »
Thank you! You are right. It was the canon camera menu. To access it, I had to remove the SD-card and then go back into shooting mode to disable it.

Now I am investigating the photo quality issue. On a bright sunny day, photos taken from my balcony are all dark. Isnt the default setting supposed to get us the best possible pictures? I have not changed any of the default settings except for enabled the infinity focus.

« Reply #423 on: 02 / June / 2015, 10:41:36 »
To access it, I had to remove the SD-card and then go back into shooting mode to disable it.
You should have been able to just exit CHDK <ALT> mode and use the Canon menus normally.

Now I am investigating the photo quality issue. On a bright sunny day, photos taken from my balcony are all dark. Isnt the default setting supposed to get us the best possible pictures? I have not changed any of the default settings except for enabled the infinity focus.
This sound like it might be an issue with the camera's ND filter and thus a possible porting problem with the IXUS115.   

Would you please attach the script's log file ( kap.log ) that you will find in the root directory of your SD card (assuming you did not disable logging in the script parameters).  It would also be good to have one of the images taken with the script so I can compare to its entry in the log file.  Due to this forum's limitations on file size, you will need to upload the original image to a file sharing site like box.com rather than attach it here.

« Reply #424 on: 02 / June / 2015, 11:04:15 »
Thanks! Here is one of the images - https://www.anony.ws/image/DKUR

I have attached the log file also.

« Reply #425 on: 02 / June / 2015, 12:01:13 »
Thanks! Here is one of the images - https://www.anony.ws/image/DKUR

I have attached the log file also.
Thanks.  Some interesting things happening in the log that I will need to study more closely.  It looks like the script tries to force the camera's ND filter out so that it can shoot at a higher shutter speed / lower ISO setting.  But if the ND filter does not actually retract and is still in the light path,  your images will be underexposed by about three f-stops.  And that's about what I see in the image you posted.

Meanwhile,  there is a timeout anomoly also indicated in the logs.  Do you by any chance have RAW/DNG enabled?

Edit : I've attached a test script for just the ND filter so we can see if that is in fact the problem with your camera.  The script takes two shots (one with the filter in and the other with the filter out) and tries to match the exposure on each.  It will create a log file of the results in the CHDK/LOGS directory on the SD card.
« Last Edit: 02 / June / 2015, 13:48:54 by waterwingz »

« Reply #426 on: 03 / June / 2015, 10:22:41 »
Thank you for the test script. I installed on my SD card and let it take 2-3 photos. But there are no log files in the CHDK/Logs folder! What am I doing wrong?

« Reply #427 on: 03 / June / 2015, 11:25:47 »
Tried again and got the following in the logs:

ND Test : avmode= 1
 ND out tv=992 av=294 sv=499 bv=830 exp=42
 ND in tv=704 av=294 sv=499 bv=837 exp=47
...done
*** FINISHED ***

« Reply #428 on: 03 / June / 2015, 11:35:10 »
Thank you for the test script. I installed on my SD card and let it take 2-3 photos. But there are no log files in the CHDK/Logs folder! What am I doing wrong?
The script will take exactly two photos.

There should be a file called LOG_0002.TXT in the CHDK/LOG folder on your SD card.

What messages do you see in the CHDK log window on your camera's LCD screen?

« Reply #429 on: 03 / June / 2015, 11:37:56 »
Tried again and got the following in the logs:

ND Test : avmode= 1
 ND out tv=992 av=294 sv=499 bv=830 exp=42
 ND in tv=704 av=294 sv=499 bv=837 exp=47
...done
*** FINISHED ***
That's better.

Do the two images taken by the script look like they are exposed the same?