KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script - page 55 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum

KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script

• 1068 Replies
Re: KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script
« Reply #540 on: 01 / July / 2015, 08:00:54 »
Advertisements
I 'll do a drawing this afternoon. Meanwhile: I went and flew a test mission with B8 this morning and some of the pictures came out really bad. It looks like I am the first to need vibration dampening on a foamy or a new motor and prop balanced.... I will review logs this afternoon.
I wish I knew more about the pixhawk programming (and had one to play with).

Looking at this :

copter.ardupilot.com/mission command list/#Do-Set-Relay

and

ardupilot.com/forum Pixhawk servos power options/clarification

it seems there should be a way to do this without using PWM & the gentwire-USB2.   All you really need is one signal to enable the next shot and a single digital output (relay) should be enough.  The script can be set to only switch to shooting mode (lens extends) on the first pulse and to switch back to play mode (lens retracts) when no more pulses come from the flight controller (after a user define delay).

I saw your post here : expert help please camera control at 8s interval but your question may be too vague (lacking details) to attract a good answer?

For reference, some other links of some interest :

shutter_configuration_with_pixhawk
common-chdk-camera-control-tutorial/
common-apm-to-chdk-camera-link-tutorial/

and especially

using-aux-pins-as-relays-for-chdk

The last one is a huge thread devoted mostly to this topic.

« Last Edit: 01 / July / 2015, 08:04:35 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #541 on: 02 / July / 2015, 04:10:02 »
Hello everyone,
it is just that I bought a Ixus 125HS, and I installed the CHDK with the script KAP & UAV, all to improve the photos that I will do my multicopter for photogrammetry.

I start to get the test, I read the various posts, but if someone could describe specifically the best configuration parameters for the camera, the general setup menu canon, setup in CHDK and KAP & UAV ..... ..

I am grateful.

thanks a lot
Luca

« Reply #542 on: 02 / July / 2015, 05:46:27 »
I start to get the test, I read the various posts, but if someone could describe specifically the best configuration parameters for the camera, the general setup menu canon, setup in CHDK and KAP & UAV ..... ..
Camera setup recommendations are given here : Camera Settings.  That wiki page also contains some other good advice that might be worth reading.

Script parameters settings are also described on the page linked above.   In general, the default values are pretty good but they were picked for KAP applications. For a UAV you might want to change the following settings to the values given here:

Tv Target (sec)  :     1/2000
Tv Max (sec) :    1/5000
ISO Max1 : 800
ISO Max2 : 1600

After that, it's a question of experimenting and looking at the result.   I'd recommend testing image quality by shooting on the ground while outdoors at your flying site first.

Finally, make sure that your UAV includes good vibration isolation for the camera.   

Safe flying !

« Reply #543 on: 02 / July / 2015, 14:12:33 »
Hi Waterwingz
First of all want to to say this script ROCKS. thanks a lot for all your effort.

I have been testing it around, and I've found I can start a script with my simplePush usb remote controller. what I cannot find, is a way to stop the script execution with the remote controller. Is it possible to start and later stop the script with the  USB remote?

thanks !

« Reply #544 on: 02 / July / 2015, 14:22:30 »
I have been testing it around, and I've found I can start a script with my simplePush usb remote controller. what I cannot find, is a way to stop the script execution with the remote controller. Is it possible to start and later stop the script with the  USB remote?
It depends somewhat on the design of your remote.  If you are using a simple two position switch,  the script can be setup so that it shoots continuously when the switch is in the "On" position and not shoot when the switch is in the "Off" position.   But if you have a momentary contact pushbutton then you can only start shooting with it.

I'm currently doing a lot of work on USB remote control modes for UAV use.   Adding a mode that start & stops with each USB switch press would be easy to add as well.   I guess my only question would be how you keep track of whether the script is shooting or not when your kite / uav is up in the air  (i.e. if you lose track of how many times the remote has been pressed).   I suppose it would be possible to only start shooting if the switch is held down for 0.1 to 2.0 seconds and to stop shooting any time the switch is held down for more than 2.5 seconds?

How do you anticipate using a simple switch in your application?

« Reply #545 on: 04 / July / 2015, 10:39:13 »
WZZ,

is there a 3.6b10?

Attached is the sketch I promised a few days back.
I am doing some brainstorming as I find hard to believe the current situation: Pixhawk can generate microsecond level PWM signal, but I cannot get millisecond level output directly to camera.
Gentwire was the easy solution that should still work, but it doesn't work for some reason under .7 seconds.

S110, SX200is,

« Reply #546 on: 04 / July / 2015, 11:05:44 »
What is the difference between Gentwire and Tuffwing trigger cable?
S110, SX200is,

« Reply #547 on: 04 / July / 2015, 11:18:16 »
What is the difference between Gentwire and Tuffwing trigger cable?
AFAIK  the Tuffwing Trigger Cable simply converts the 3.3V output level of a flight controller digital output (relay) to the 5V level expected on the camera's USB port.

The gentwire-USB converts a servo output from a flight controller or RC receiver to the 5V level expected on the camera's USB port.

The gentwire-USB2 converts one or two servo outputs from a flight controller or RC receiver to 5V pulses proportional to the position of the servos (ch1up,ch1mid,ch1down,ch2up,ch2mid,ch2down).

« Reply #548 on: 04 / July / 2015, 11:42:51 »
is there a 3.6b10?
not yet  :P

Attached is the sketch I promised a few days back.
I am doing some brainstorming as I find hard to believe the current situation: Pixhawk can generate microsecond level PWM signal, but I cannot get millisecond level output directly to camera.
Gentwire was the easy solution that should still work, but it doesn't work for some reason under .7 seconds.

Does this help ?  (props to bchristal for the image)

« Reply #549 on: 04 / July / 2015, 12:34:31 »
Exactly, that is what I am talking about.
If CAM_DURATION is set below 7(=.7sec) the Gentwire sends no signal to the camera.
Theoretically the CAM_SERVO_ON PWM should be sent for .1s and then the CAM_SERVO_OFF PWM should be sent to the Gentwire. Gentwire should convert these to signals for the camera.
I just reviewed the on-board log log from the Pixhawk and it issues the CAM_SERVO_ON signal for .1s(or under) and CAM_SERVO_OFF as long as needed.
As you have already talked to Mr. Gentles, can you please check with him if there is a minimum time for the input signal under which signals are disregarded?
S110, SX200is,