KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script - page 69 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script

• 1068 Replies
Re: KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script
« Reply #680 on: 09 / December / 2015, 11:37:13 »
Advertisements
OK gents - I appreciate this insight...so I tested today by backtracking the Canon standard camera presets...the KAP website says use "P" mode...but when I switched back to "Auto", the camera accepted each and every USB trigger event I manually injected thru the Pixhawk. Go figure. Now I got these results using ver 3.5.
I also just loaded the ver 3.6 script, and it also ran without issue in the camera's "Auto" mode.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #681 on: 09 / December / 2015, 15:39:44 »
OK gents - I appreciate this insight...so I tested today by backtracking the Canon standard camera presets...the KAP website says use "P" mode...but when I switched back to "Auto", the camera accepted each and every USB trigger event I manually injected thru the Pixhawk. Go figure. Now I got these results using ver 3.5.
I also just loaded the ver 3.6 script, and it also ran without issue in the camera's "Auto" mode.
This is a bit odd, generally I'd expect Auto to be more likely to refuse to shoot than P.

One thing that might be worth checking is the flash setting in the Canon firmware for each of these modes. If it isn't already off for P mode, I'd suggest trying with it off.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #682 on: 09 / December / 2015, 18:32:02 »
For what its worth...just tested ver 3.6 after shutting off auto flash .. which covered Auto and P modes.  Placed camera in P mode and it fired without incident.  nice pics too at ISO 800 etc.
Attached the KAP log file.
Seems like progress has been made.
This is a great capability. Will let y'all know how the pics look after I fly and capture some property survey shots tomorrow.

Dave

« Reply #683 on: 09 / December / 2015, 19:43:06 »
One thing that might be worth checking is the flash setting in the Canon firmware for each of these modes. If it isn't already off for P mode, I'd suggest trying with it off.
The script attempts to disable the built-in flash by setting a propcase

Code: [Select]
  set_prop(props.FLASH_MODE, 2)   -- disable built-in flash
AFAIK,  the main difference between P and AUTO modes is that P mode allows the user to set things like ISO, Whit e balance, Coloration schemes, and some features of the built-in flash.     I guess it's possible on some cameras,  in P mode and in low light situations, that setting the FLASH_MODE prop blocks taking an actual shot?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #684 on: 09 / December / 2015, 20:37:38 »
The script attempts to disable the built-in flash by setting a propcase

Code: [Select]
  set_prop(props.FLASH_MODE, 2)   -- disable built-in flash
AFAIK,  the main difference between P and AUTO modes is that P mode allows the user to set things like ISO, White balance, Coloration schemes, and some features of the built-in flash.     I guess it's possible on some cameras,  in P mode and in low light situations, that setting the FLASH_MODE prop blocks taking an actual shot?
Other possibilities: Flash mode propcase is wrong on that camera, or uses a different value for disable.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #685 on: 09 / December / 2015, 22:30:18 »
For what its worth...just tested ver 3.6 after shutting off auto flash .. which covered Auto and P modes.  Placed camera in P mode and it fired without incident.  nice pics too at ISO 800 etc.
Attached the KAP log file.
Seems like progress has been made.
This is a great capability. Will let y'all know how the pics look after I fly and capture some property survey shots tomorrow.
@davefolts : There are a few things that could be tested if you have the time.

• Using the configuration from a couple of days ago (camera in P mode,  flash in AUTO) try running the script with the camera pointed at a normal daylight illumination scene (i.e. not your desk in a room at night).  Does it still refuse to shoot?
  • Delete the line in the script that I posted above and retest in dim light, P mode, flash in AUTO (line 590 in v3.5,  line 727 in v3.6)

If this turns out to be just an issue with indoor testing and not the intended usage of the script,   I'll post a warning of some sort on the wiki page for the script.

« Reply #686 on: 10 / December / 2015, 09:01:57 »
Other possibilities: Flash mode propcase is wrong on that camera, or uses a different value for disable.
Or setting that propcase sets the flash mode in a way that the camera does not respect during shooting (i.e. flash disabled but the exposure firmware still waits for the flash to be ready prior to releasing the actual shot).

« Reply #687 on: 27 / December / 2015, 11:28:30 »
Guys-
took me a while to get back in the air - bad weather and other things to do.  I did not attempt to get into the LUA code after spending some time on the LUA site...so I just went outside and flew and tested.
The ver 3.6 script is running quite nicely, as can be seen with this composite I made of the 56 shots taken over the span of 4 minutes or so by my Iris+' scan flight over my house.

One thing I noted is that on a sunny day the pictures (both jpg & .DNG) need to be color-corrected in Photoshop as they appear somewhat over exposed. I will try and get out at noon and see if sun angle makes a difference. (I suspect it does ease the shadow issues somewhat.)

I also note that the script will allow the pixhawk to signal a shutter release about every three seconds...not bad for speed.  I did have focus set at infinity and zoom is @ 20%
« Last Edit: 27 / December / 2015, 11:30:10 by davefolts »

« Reply #688 on: 31 / December / 2015, 11:35:41 »
One thing I noted is that on a sunny day the pictures (both jpg & .DNG) need to be color-corrected in Photoshop as they appear somewhat over exposed. I will try and get out at noon and see if sun angle makes a difference. (I suspect it does ease the shadow issues somewhat.)
I can take a look at this and comment if you post your log file as an attachment here.  Look in the top folder of your SD card for a file called kap.log

I also note that the script will allow the pixhawk to signal a shutter release about every three seconds...not bad for speed.  I did have focus set at infinity and zoom is @ 20%
FWIW - the latest script version lets you shoot in continuous mode (sync'd to the pixhawk position over the ground) at rates approaching 2 fps on most cameras.

« Reply #689 on: 02 / January / 2016, 16:58:08 »
Thanks WW....I attached the KAP log labelled - 23 December