KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script - page 97 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum

KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script

• 1068 Replies
Re: KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script
« Reply #960 on: 18 / September / 2017, 05:04:38 »
Advertisements
Thanks waterwingz, I have read that you don't own a Pixhawk so was really hoping somebody else could help, I have posted on DIYDrones also. I am rather reluctant to reach out to Tuffwing and bother them considering I haven't bought their product! I would rather make my own cables and learn about the circuitry rather than buy one ready made :-)

« Reply #961 on: 18 / September / 2017, 11:30:42 »
SO I have made a bit of a breakthrough - the RC10_FUNCTION has been replaced with SERVO10_FUNCTION etc in the new Pixhawk FW, so the Tuffwing page is now outdated and the parameters to change are:

CAM_DURATION  1
CAM_SERVO_OFF  8000
CAM_SERVO_ON  3000
CAM_TRIGG_TYPE  0
SERVO10_FUNCTION  10
SERVO10_TRIM  8000
SERVO10_MAX  32767

I can now control the camera BUT it takes two pictures every time I give it 1 command to take a picture.
I have set the script as per the Tuffwing instructions, BURST mode with PIXHAWK USB Shot Control.
Perhaps my SERVO_OFF and SERVO_ON needs adjusting? Is their a script I can use to see the incoming USB signal strength?

In another note, the SHOT LED SYNC number for my S100 is 1.

EDIT: Copy and paste really makes a mess of the HTML in this forum eh!
« Last Edit: 18 / September / 2017, 11:36:30 by sandysound »

« Reply #962 on: 18 / September / 2017, 12:27:25 »

When I send the command to take a picture, it takes a photo, then the display goes black, until it takes the second picture.This is a picture of the onscreen display after it has taken the 2nd picture.

https://flic.kr/p/XAKAMt

And this what the USB Test 2 lua displays (I found this in these forums somewhere).

https://flic.kr/p/XyGhEW

« Reply #963 on: 18 / September / 2017, 13:05:09 »
I can now control the camera BUT it takes two pictures every time I give it 1 command to take a picture.
IIRC, selecting burst mode causes the script to use some tricks to achieve the fastest shot rate possible.  That means it shoots continuously when the USB signal is active.  One drawback to using this mode is that you always get one more shot than you asked for.

Try using Fast mode?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #964 on: 18 / September / 2017, 13:50:46 »
Ahh ok, that makes sense regarding the BURST mode, then the camera is operating as it should then :-)

« Reply #965 on: 09 / October / 2017, 11:02:53 »
Hello again people, one question... might be silly.

Is there any possible way to write metadata on a picture while/or after triggering it?
Is the CHDK or a script capable of doing so?

It would be great if there was a way to geotag a picture when triggering it, using gps data from pixhawk or other flight controllers.
I believe communicating the coordinates would be possible even with a primitive one bit communication (5v or 0v)
but what about writing it?

« Reply #966 on: 09 / October / 2017, 20:41:16 »
Is there any possible way to write metadata on a picture while/or after triggering it?
Is the CHDK or a script capable of doing so?
That's probably the easiest part of what you propose. See these links :
Write to EXIF data?
TagMe, the Lua EXIF tagger

It would be great if there was a way to geotag a picture when triggering it, using gps data from pixhawk or other flight controllers.
Some CHDK supported cameras include built-in GPS (e.g. S100) so there is no real work to do other than enabling it on the camera.

I believe communicating the coordinates would be possible even with a primitive one bit communication (5v or 0v)
If you had a flight controller that can be a USB "master" then sending data in USB packets to a CHDK script is pretty trivial : ( read_usb_msg( ) ). However, it's not likely any commercially available flight controller will include USB master functionality.   :'(

Otherwise, "bit banging" a serial message between the flight controller and camera is quite possible - assuming you have the ability to reprogram your flight controller and understand a bit about writing Lua scripts for CHDK.

but what about writing it?
Have fun!

« Reply #967 on: 10 / October / 2017, 11:46:49 »
That's probably the easiest part of what you propose. See these links :
Write to EXIF data?
TagMe, the Lua EXIF tagger
Thank you for those links, this seems to cover what I'm looking for. I will dwell more on them once I get a bit more time.

Some CHDK supported cameras include built-in GPS (e.g. S100) so there is no real work to do other than enabling it on the camera.
I prefer to use smaller, more lightweight cameras like the 125HS, additionally the Flight Controller GPS tends to have significantly higher accuracy.

If you had a flight controller that can be a USB "master" then sending data in USB packets to a CHDK script is pretty trivial : (
read_usb_msg( )
). However, it's not likely any commercially available flight controller will include USB master functionality.Otherwise, "bit banging" a serial message between the flight controller and camera is quite possible - assuming you have the ability to reprogram your flight controller and understand a bit about writing Lua scripts for CHDK.

Hmm I'm not sure what you mean by "master" functionality, the flight controller is capable of sending trigger commands (essentially 5v to cam), or is "master" something else?

[/size]
« Last Edit: 10 / October / 2017, 11:50:36 by OhSnap »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #968 on: 10 / October / 2017, 23:56:29 »
Hmm I'm not sure what you mean by "master" functionality, the flight controller is capable of sending trigger commands (essentially 5v to cam), or is "master" something else?
A "USB host", like a PC or raspberry pi, as opposed to a "USB device" like the camera. This would be a USB protocol connection, rather than re-purposing the 5v line.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #969 on: 11 / October / 2017, 00:17:49 »
Your request was for some method of sending GPS data from your flight controller to a CHDK enable camera.

Further to reyalp's comment, this describes the basics of how that could be achieved using USB communications (assuming the flight controller takes on the master role and the CHDK enabled camera takes on the slave role) :

USB Facts of Life : USB Is An Unsymmetrical Master/Slave Technology

And yes, your flight controller can send "trigger commands" as one of its configurable options.  But that's just a simple on/off signal - the camera is triggered each time the 5v line is asserted.  Trying to send actual GPS position data via the 5V line would involve a lot of custom code on the controller for "bit banging".