MDFB2013 - updating the fastest CHDK motion detection script - page 10 - LUA Scripting - CHDK Forum  

MDFB2013 - updating the fastest CHDK motion detection script

• 121 Replies

Online reyalp

Re: MDFB2013 - updating the fastest CHDK motion detection script
« Reply #90 on: 17 / February / 2016, 17:33:22 »
Advertisements
Code: [Select]
if ( tonumber(bi.build_revision) > 0 ) thenI see you are using the official 1.4 release (now tagged as 1.4.1).
build_revision should only be the svn rev on any vaguely recent build

Code: [Select]
version="CHDK",
build_number="1.5.0",
build_revision="4445",

@DogT
If you are using a multi-partition card, make sure you are actually updating the CHDK binary on the boot partition, and the modules + script on the large partition.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #91 on: 17 / February / 2016, 18:12:06 »
Yes, I'm doing something wrong. I need to revisit how to install chdk on the card. Everything I load into it says ver.0.9.9-907, there's something else I need to do. I'll start from scratch. Sorry.

Other than that, can someone tell me where I can get previous versions, like 1.4.0? I don't seem to find it.

« Reply #92 on: 17 / February / 2016, 19:14:15 »
Yes, I'm doing something wrong. I need to revisit how to install chdk on the card. Everything I load into it says ver.0.9.9-907, there's something else I need to do. I'll start from scratch. Sorry.
I strongly recommend that you use this utility to download the correct version of CHDK and set everything up for you :  STICK

Other than that, can someone tell me where I can get previous versions, like 1.4.0? I don't seem to find it.
There are conserved version of older releases available.  But I don't think there is any reason why you would need one.

Edit : link to Conserved Versions
« Last Edit: 17 / February / 2016, 19:46:28 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #93 on: 18 / February / 2016, 20:53:49 »
Got CHDK installed correctly now. Sorry for my confusion. Everything seems to work fine now even with 1.4.1. I just need to try to fine tune it for my situation.

Thanks for the help. You're more than kind to this geezer.

« Reply #94 on: 18 / February / 2016, 21:09:19 »
I just need to try to fine tune it for my situation.
Link to tuning hints :  Motion Detection : Performance Tuning & Sensitivity

Online reyalp

« Reply #95 on: 10 / April / 2017, 00:56:03 »
Thinking about the crash on g7x

It would be a good practice to restore propcases to their original value on script exit.  That doesn't solve the underlying problem, but would avoid the crash in this case, and would reduce the chance of people ending up with unexpected settings changes.

I also wonder if setting the IS propcase even controls the IS mode, since the invalid value only causes a crash when the camera goes to shut down IS. My feeling is that it doesn't on G7 X, but I'm not 100% certain.

« Reply #96 on: 10 / April / 2017, 13:52:49 »
It would be a good practice to restore propcases to their original value on script exit. 
msl pointed that out to me some time ago and I've tried to do just that with all of my scripts ever since. I'll update the mdfb2013.lua script.

I also wonder if setting the IS propcase even controls the IS mode, since the invalid value only causes a crash when the camera goes to shut down IS. My feeling is that it doesn't on G7 X, but I'm not 100% certain.
I'll also make it a user parameter selected option.

Online reyalp

« Reply #97 on: 10 / April / 2017, 17:32:01 »
I'll also make it a user parameter selected option.
My suspicion is that setting IS propcase just updates the IS indicator in the Canon UI without actually affecting the IS function. If this can be confirmed on a few generations of cameras you could remove that code completely.

« Reply #98 on: 10 / April / 2017, 17:36:15 »
My suspicion is that setting IS propcase just updates the IS indicator in the Canon UI without actually affecting the IS function.
If so, it seems strange that the wrong value was causing crashes?

If this can be confirmed on a few generations of cameras you could remove that code completely.
Or alternatively just provide a warning when the script starts?

Online reyalp

« Reply #99 on: 10 / April / 2017, 18:01:17 »
My suspicion is that setting IS propcase just updates the IS indicator in the Canon UI without actually affecting the IS function.
If so, it seems strange that the wrong value was causing crashes?
It caused a crash when the camera goes to turn IS off for shutdown or switch to playback, not when the propcase is set. What finally made me look at the script was that there is code that reads the propcase value, compares it to the internal variable that triggered the assert, and does something different if the value doesn't match.

I verified on sx160 and elph130 that changing the propcase doesn't turn it off. I tested this by going to max zoom with IS set to continuous, setting the propcase to off, and comparing that with IS turned off using the menu.

Or alternatively just provide a warning when the script starts?
Warning wouldn't be a bad idea, if you can identify the "off" value. Why couldn't Canon have used 0 for off like normal people?  :-[

FWIW, the off value on sx160is is 4. Elph130 uses 2 like g7x, but does not crash on switching to playback if it's set to 3.