Manual focus not working A590IS - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum  

Manual focus not working A590IS

• 21 Replies

Geezer

Manual focus not working A590IS
« on: 01 / November / 2013, 10:48:57 »
Advertisements
I just changed to the newer CHDK ver 1.2.0-3186.  I'm running Fudgey's fast motion detection and need to fix the focus at infinity.  Any thoughts?

BTW, I luv how much faster/quicker pics are taken in continuous drive!

Many thanks,
Terry

Re: Manual focus not working A590IS
« Reply #1 on: 01 / November / 2013, 11:14:38 »
You have a few options.

First,  if the A590 has MF capability,  then set the focus prior to running the script.   :)

Second,  if you use the script's "fast" mode,  the script will focus prior to waiting for motion. So if the camera is pointed into the distance,  you will get a focus at infinity with no "wait for focus adjustment" when motion is detected.

Third,  you could try to modify the code to automatically focus at infinity.   I've put various focus options into my recent scripts - not all choices work on all cameras.   I've also posted an updated version of fudgey's script - [  link  ]. I could add the MF code to that I guess.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Geezer

« Reply #2 on: 01 / November / 2013, 17:21:44 »
Thanks for the quick reply. :)

The manual focus - that is the method I have used for a long time (years?) with CHDK 1.1.  With CHDK 1.2 it appears that the focus changes to minimum distance as soon as I enter ALT mode.  I don't think the focus changes to minimum distance after the script starts.  Anyway, all pics from the fast MD script are out of focus.

Bottom line - the fast MD pics are good with CHDK 1.1 and out of focus with CHDK 1.2.

Hope this makes sense,
Terry

« Reply #3 on: 01 / November / 2013, 17:31:38 »
The manual focus - that is the method I have used for a long time (years?) with CHDK 1.1.  With CHDK 1.2 it appears that the focus changes to minimum distance as soon as I enter ALT mode.  I don't think the focus changes to minimum distance after the script starts.  Anyway, all pics from the fast MD script are out of focus.Bottom line - the fast MD pics are good with CHDK 1.1 and out of focus with CHDK 1.2. Hope this makes sense,
You response make sense but what you are seeing is very strange.   There is nothing that happens when entering <ALT> that will cause the focus to change.   And nothing that changed between 1.1 and 1.2 that would make the MDFB script stop working.   

Can you reload a 1.1 version and confirm this is still the case?

Which version of the script are you using?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #4 on: 01 / November / 2013, 23:29:12 »
The manual focus - that is the method I have used for a long time (years?) with CHDK 1.1.  With CHDK 1.2 it appears that the focus changes to minimum distance as soon as I enter ALT mode.  I don't think the focus changes to minimum distance after the script starts.  Anyway, all pics from the fast MD script are out of focus.
Entering alt mode certainly shouldn't affect focus.

There are some shortcut keys that can affect focus, but I don't think there's one for minimum focus distance http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_User_Manual#Key_Shortcuts
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Geezer

« Reply #5 on: 03 / November / 2013, 22:30:09 »
I am still testing, have not given up (yet).

The below comments were with CHDK 1.2.

What I need is focus fixed at infinity while running Fudgey's fast motion detect script (MDFB-080914.bas).

Going to Manual Focus and setting to infinity before launching the script is not working.  The pics are focused on some branches about four feet away.

Overriding Subject Distance is not working either.  The OSD displays SD 65535 (or so) but the pics are still focused about four feet and my subject about one hundred feet is way out of focus.  I get this result running the script and manually shooting after exiting ALT mode.

I do have the camera in Manual Focus when trying to override the Subject Distance.

Anyway, I plan to do some more testing Monday.

Thanks everyone,
Terry

Offline reyalp

« Reply #6 on: 03 / November / 2013, 22:40:54 »
I really don't understand this.

If you don't use one of the SD override menu options or set it from script, then CHDK really shouldn't change the Canon manual focus setting.

edit:
I'm not saying that your problem isn't real, but I suspect there is some other factor at work...
« Last Edit: 03 / November / 2013, 22:47:29 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #7 on: 03 / November / 2013, 23:05:31 »
The manual focus - that is the method I have used for a long time (years?) with CHDK 1.1.  With CHDK 1.2 it appears that the focus changes to minimum distance as soon as I enter ALT mode.  I don't think the focus changes to minimum distance after the script starts.  Anyway, all pics from the fast MD script are out of focus.Bottom line - the fast MD pics are good with CHDK 1.1 and out of focus with CHDK 1.2. Hope this makes sense,
Can you reload a 1.1 version and confirm this is still the case?
repeated question ...

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
    • Planetary astrophotography
« Reply #8 on: 04 / November / 2013, 05:14:33 »
What I need is focus fixed at infinity while running Fudgey's fast motion detect script (MDFB-080914.bas).
I do not see this problem on my a590.
Select P mode on the camera,turn the lens to the object that you want to have in the focus and press the key combination Half Shutter + Down (MF and Macro on your camera) to lock focus. On the display you should see a white square and then run the script.

Geezer

« Reply #9 on: 04 / November / 2013, 11:58:35 »
blackhole - I have been using Kids and Pets.

Regarding the Manual Focus it looks like the script ignores ignores/overrides it.

Gonna select P mode now.

Thanks again everyone,
Terry