Manual focus not working A590IS - page 2 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Manual focus not working A590IS

• 21 Replies

Geezer

Re: Manual focus not working A590IS
« Reply #10 on: 04 / November / 2013, 15:16:27 »
Advertisements
Further testing...

My problem is subject way out of focus.

CHDK is not changing the focus, but the script is (MDFB-080914).

No real change with P mode.  Subject is way out of focus and the leaves two feet away are OK.

I attach a sample image and a pic of A590 LCD.

Bottom line, the script ignores the Manual Focus?  Can this be true??

Thanks,
Terry

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #11 on: 04 / November / 2013, 16:19:38 »
The screenshot shows 'No Overrides'. That means you have disabled all CHDK overrides.

Turn off this option: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_User_Manual#Disable_Overrides

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

« Reply #12 on: 04 / November / 2013, 16:24:49 »
The screenshot shows 'No Overrides'. That means you have disabled all CHDK overrides.

Turn off this option: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_User_Manual#Disable_Overrides
It looks like he has the camera's native MF mode enabled ( the Canon OSD MF icon in the lower left corner) ?

In any case,  the MDFB script does not attempt to make any focus adjustments.  It simple does the equivalent of pressing the shutter button when it detects motion.   In fast mode,  it does a "half press" and waits for motion before doing a "full press". In slow mode it waits for motion and then does a "full press".   Both of these modes will normally cause the camera to focus.  I'm a little surprised that the camera seems to  ignore its own MF setting. 
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Online reyalp

« Reply #13 on: 04 / November / 2013, 16:37:01 »
I'm a little surprised that the camera seems to  ignore its own MF setting.
A590 has "safety MF" (see page 98 of the manual) which might do something like  that.

edit to clarify:
Geezer, check whether safety MF is enabled in the Canon menu, and turn it off if it is.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #14 on: 04 / November / 2013, 16:39:10 »
It looks like he has the camera's native MF mode enabled ( the Canon OSD MF icon in the lower left corner) ?
That's right. But the native MF starts with another value as the override value (65535). This is the reason for the wrong subject distance.

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
    • Planetary astrophotography
« Reply #15 on: 04 / November / 2013, 16:56:45 »
Looks like to him MF is not working properly, when the camera is switched to Canon MF mode must immediately show a white square.

A590 has "safety MF" (see page 98 of the manual) which might do something like  that.
I got safety MF enabled, there is no impact on the focus.

edit:
@Geezer
Have you selected the infinite focus using button "right". The slider has to move all the way up to the mark for infinity.
« Last Edit: 04 / November / 2013, 17:17:32 by blackhole »

« Reply #16 on: 05 / November / 2013, 08:50:01 »
On my A590is, when you switch into manual focus on the camera, it locks focus at whatever is in focus at that instant.  But even if that's a far distant subject, the camera sets focus to 10 feet (SD = 3.2)   You always have to hit Right a few times to get it out to infinity.  So it's a two-step process. 

« Reply #17 on: 05 / November / 2013, 11:06:25 »
even if that's a far distant subject, the camera sets focus to 10 feet (SD = 3.2)

Depending on the zoom setting that IS the same as infinity because of the large depth-of-field of small sensor cameras.

In theory, even a distance of one metre focuses infinity at the wide-angle setting.

Geezer

« Reply #18 on: 09 / November / 2013, 11:37:59 »
I think we have done all we can do.  Manual Focus just won't play nice with the script.

msl - I turned off option - no change

reyalp - safety MF has been off

blackhole - yes, have tried the right button to set focus to infinity, edit: not right button, but up button

I set the camera back to auto focus and the images are better than MF.

Thanks again everyone,
Terry
« Last Edit: 09 / November / 2013, 14:39:07 by Geezer »

« Reply #19 on: 09 / November / 2013, 11:54:05 »
Bottom line - the fast MD pics are good with CHDK 1.1 and out of focus with CHDK 1.2.
I think we have done all we can do.  Manual Focus just won't play nice with the script.
At the risk of repeating myself a second time,  did you reload CHDK 1.1.0 and confirm that MF still plays nicely with the old version?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16