CHDKPTP remoteshoot doubt - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

CHDKPTP remoteshoot doubt

• 4 Replies
CHDKPTP remoteshoot doubt
« on: 23 / November / 2013, 18:15:53 »
Advertisements
I tested 'remoteshoot' function in two models of canon: Powershot A3100 and PowerShot SX150IS

I noticed that with the camera in continuous mode download is much faster, however always JPG image is saved on the SD card, this is correct?(I used CHDK 1.2.0-3244)

Code: [Select]
bond@debian-athlon:/opt/src/chdkptp_svn$ ./chdkptp -i
___> c
connected: Canon PowerShot A3100 IS, max packet size 512
con> rec
con 1> rs -raw
wait time 2.3419
con 4> rs -raw -cont=1
wait time 0.0024

in this test two JPGs was saved on SD card, and two raw images on PC client

Is it possible to prevent JPGs being saved on the SD card?

tx.
« Last Edit: 23 / November / 2013, 18:18:57 by d-a-l »

Offline reyalp

Re: CHDKPTP remoteshoot doubt
« Reply #1 on: 23 / November / 2013, 18:50:00 »
Neither the a3100 nor the sx150 ports currently have "filewrite" support, so control of jpeg saving is not currently possible. Someone may be able to add this for you if you are willing to test, which firmware version is your a3100?

Note that the "wait time" is a development message I accidentally left enabled in the last few chdkptp snapshots. It doesn't give the time required for the whole remote shoot process, just how long the code waited for the script on the camera to complete after the data download completed.

If you want to see the time for the entire command, use set cli_time=true
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 23 / November / 2013, 19:18:19 »
Neither the a3100 nor the sx150 ports currently have "filewrite" support, so control of jpeg saving is not currently possible. Someone may be able to add this for you if you are willing to test, which firmware version is your a3100?

I have 3 models to test,  where I can suggest these models to add filewrite support?
Code: [Select]
Canon PowerShot SX130 IS
P-ID:3211 PAL D
Firmware GM1.01F (1.0.1.0)
Adj Ver.009.002

Canon PowerShot SX150 IS
P-ID:3234 NT D
Firmware Ver GM1.00A (1.0.0.0)
Adj Ver.004.007

Canon PowerShot A3100 IS
P-ID: 31F1 NT D
Firmware Ver GM1.00B (1.0.0.0)
Adj Ver.004.004

My real question is whether "filewrite" support, capture process time is faster? I'm writing a script based in multicam.lua to control 2 cameras (shoot and download), and I think that remoteshoot is the fastest option, is true?

If you want to see the time for the entire command, use set cli_time=true

ok

thanks!

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 23 / November / 2013, 19:48:12 »
My real question is whether "filewrite" support, capture process time is faster? I'm writing a script based in multicam.lua to control 2 cameras (shoot and download), and I think that remoteshoot is the fastest option, is true?
That depends exactly what you want to do. In terms of shooting speed, there is generally not a huge difference between remote capture and capture to SD card, it will vary some depending on the camera, SD card speed and USB speed.

Remote capture will be faster than saving to the card and then downloading, but whether this matters depends on your application: Are you looking for minimum time between exposures, or minimum time to shoot and get the picture on your PC?

If you don't need to work with raw, then filewrite will let you remote capture with jpeg, which will be much faster than raw. Saving jpeg to sd card and downloading is probably also faster than any option using raw.

As far as using multicam goes, keep in mind that actual PTP calls in chdkptp are completely single threaded. Once you call a function that does data transfer (like con:download or con:capture_get_chunk) everything waits until that transfer is finished. So if you are shooting cameras simultaneously and want to use remote capture, you will need to integrate the logic from the cli remoteshoot command into your multicam code. You might also want to make a multi-cam aware version of chdku.lua con_methods:capture_get_data. If you just want to control both cameras, but don't mind shooting and downloading sequentially, then it should be much simpler.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline nafraf

« Reply #4 on: 23 / November / 2013, 20:03:05 »
I have 3 models to test,  where I can suggest these models to add filewrite support?
I sent you a test version for a3100 via PM, please test it and report.