A1400 porting thread - page 9 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum  

A1400 porting thread

• 130 Replies

nosebleed

Re: A1400 porting thread
« Reply #80 on: 18 / June / 2014, 05:34:18 »
Advertisements
It's wider because that's what the camera actually sees. The canon firmware does distortion correction when it creates the jpeg, which discards much of the data around the edges. DNG gives you the raw data before correction. You can create a lens profile to do the correction yourself.

Not being able to see your image, I'm not sure what you are referring to as "blurred". The raw can't actually be less focused than the jpeg, but differences in processing could make it look softer. If you want feedback on what you can do differently, you should upload the original files somewhere.

Ok, I learnt why it is wider and of course I didn't know that Canon processes the RAW and discards the edges and whatever. I have uploaded the images in the following post. If you can see it the RAW is soft while the JPEG sharp --> http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=11006.msg113634#msg113634

This is a misunderstanding. DNG gives you the raw data from the sensor. Whether you can use it to make a better jpeg than Canon is up to you. Canon's jpegs are quite good though, so you will probably have to work hard to do much better.

This is where I wanted to end.
If it needs lot of time and work to produce a little more fine JPEG than Canon does, I believe it does not worth for my project.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #81 on: 18 / June / 2014, 16:41:14 »
I have uploaded the images in the following post. If you can see it the RAW is soft while the JPEG sharp
I said original files, a down-scaled, converted image is not a useful comparison. You can't attach large files here, so if you want to do this, use a file site like dropbox, box.com, google drive etc.
If it needs lot of time and work to produce a little more fine JPEG than Canon does, I believe it does not worth for my project.
This is quite likely true, Canon puts a lot of engineering into getting the best quality they can. Unless you have very specific needs, working with raw is probably not worth the effort.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

nosebleed

« Reply #82 on: 19 / June / 2014, 04:23:40 »
This is quite likely true, Canon puts a lot of engineering into getting the best quality they can. Unless you have very specific needs, working with raw is probably not worth the effort.

Ok, it's better l stay with that. It really doesn't have any meaning anymore. I believed things working some other way that's why I started it :)

Thank you and live-long CHDK !

Offline TMHKR

• Canon PowerShot SX170 IS (1.01a firmware)
« Reply #83 on: 25 / September / 2014, 06:54:30 »
Sorry for replying to this old thread, but does A1400 support Av (aperture) override via CHDK? Or does it only support Tv (shutter speed) override? Thanks in advance!

« Reply #84 on: 25 / September / 2014, 09:15:30 »
The A1400 does not have an adjustable aperture  so there is nothing for CHDK to control. However, it does have a neutral density filter that you can operate manually via CHDK.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #85 on: 12 / May / 2015, 09:20:08 »
Hi

I realise I'm coming a little late to this thread, but I was hoping that someone could help me.

I am building a DIY book scanner, and am planning to use a pair of A1400s. Reading through this thread, it looks like users have run into a few issues with the CHDK available for this camera.

I am using a1400-100b-1.4.0-4153-full_ALPHA.zip, downloaded from here: http://www.mighty-hoernsche.de/trunk/

Is there a more stable version of this available, now that people have had a chance to evaluate this code, and if so, would someone be kind enough to send me a link?

Many thanks

Cris

« Reply #86 on: 12 / May / 2015, 09:24:04 »
I am using a1400-100b-1.4.0-4153-full_ALPHA.zip, downloaded from here: http://www.mighty-hoernsche.de/trunk/

Is there a more stable version of this available, now that people have had a chance to evaluate this code, and if so, would someone be kind enough to send me a link?
You are using the current development version of CHDK  (i.e.  1.4.0 - or the "unstable" version).

The stable 1.3.0 version of CHDK is available from the same server at http://www.mighty-hoernsche.de

Note that the camera specific code is the same in both versions so if there are bugs in the A1400 port they would most likely show up using either 1.3.0 or 1.4.0

Edit : are you having a problem with CHDK on the A1400 or were you just checking to see that you have the most stable release?
« Last Edit: 12 / May / 2015, 09:28:10 by waterwingz »

« Reply #87 on: 12 / May / 2015, 10:37:24 »
Hi Waterwingz, I was just checking to see that I had the stable release for the A1400 -- although, will I notice much difference between the 1.3.0 and the 1.4.0 in day to day usage? Thanks for responding by the way.

« Reply #88 on: 12 / May / 2015, 10:54:26 »
will I notice much difference between the 1.3.0 and the 1.4.0 in day to day usage?
Probably not. 

The 1.4.0 version has some really nice improvements in the scripting area but it's backwards compatible with 1.3.0 scripts so you have probably not noticed any difference.

However, 1.4.0 does include some other new things that should be okay but have not had a lot of testing. So there is always the possability of an unexpected consequence affecting something you are using in a strange way.

Having said that, we expect 1.4.0 to be promoted to "stable" status soon  (i.e. before Q4 2015?)  so the risk is probably pretty low.

FWIW,  I only use the unstable releases personnally. Somebody has to test them :D

« Reply #89 on: 17 / May / 2015, 04:52:02 »
I've installed CHDK on a pair of A1400s and will do some experimenting. I'd like to use the manual focus option -- am I right in thinking that you need to specify the distance in mm from the lens to the subject?