HDRlapse.lua - an HDR intervalometer with fast shooting - page 2 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum

HDRlapse.lua - an HDR intervalometer with fast shooting

• 46 Replies
Re: HDRlapse.lua - an HDR intervalometer with fast shooting
« Reply #10 on: 30 / August / 2015, 08:50:50 »
Advertisements
Ok so I go to use the script and I get an error code . My camera is a sx50hs
Please be more specific.  Exactly what error message did you see?
« Last Edit: 30 / August / 2015, 09:46:52 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #11 on: 30 / August / 2015, 16:49:42 »
Please be more specific.  Exactly what error message did you see?

That's the error message

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z16/Walkerfan/0830151546a.jpg

Offline reyalp

« Reply #12 on: 30 / August / 2015, 17:06:53 »
That's the error message

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z16/Walkerfan/0830151546a.jpg
Make sure the CHDK folder on your SD card has everything from the full zip of the build you are using.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #13 on: 30 / August / 2015, 17:13:27 »
That's the error message
Make sure the CHDK folder on your SD card has everything from the full zip of the build you are using.
The other obvious question is what version / release of CHDK are you using?  You might see that error if it's quite old - an update to the latest stable version before doing anything serious is always a good idea.  I recommend using the STICK utility as it will do everything necessary for you.

« Reply #14 on: 30 / August / 2015, 20:58:43 »
That's the error message
The other obvious question is what version / release of CHDK are you using?  You might see that error if it's quite old - an update to the latest stable version before doing anything serious is always a good idea.  I recommend using the STICK utility as it will do everything necessary for you.

I'll have to see what verison it is thanks

Offline Marg

• SX510-HS
« Reply #15 on: 11 / November / 2015, 06:48:31 »
Well, your script is faster then self-timer. I measured ~300ms between the shots.
That's very good - much faster that most older or cheaper cameras can achieve.

Though I usually want everything on manual, so I'll have to take a proper look at the script, see if I could modify it for my purposes. At most I'd use Av aperture priority, everything else on manual.
Here you go :  mHDLapse.lua - full manual

Hi, I just joined a forum to comment on this. :)

Basically, you saved my day by making this manual version :D I was really annoyed by having camera meter my scene, not because it measure wrong, but because it chooses way to high an ISO, which is totally unnecesary for timelapse and ruins the shots by introducing too much noise. e.g. Why the hell would I want to shoot timelapse at ISO 1600 on P&S camera? It's totally bad for image quality.

Another question (or request, if somebody here has the knowledge and will to do it :) ):
Would it be possible for script to read directly the settings I've dialed in in manual mode? So I don't have to copy them by hand to the script menu. It would make it simpler to use, and in general makes sense, at least to me.

Thanks for everything. :)

EDIT: No error in my case, works fine! :)
« Last Edit: 11 / November / 2015, 06:50:21 by Marg »

« Reply #16 on: 11 / November / 2015, 19:56:04 »
Basically, you saved my day by making this manual version :D I was really annoyed by having camera meter my scene, not because it measure wrong, but because it chooses way to high an ISO, which is totally unnecesary for timelapse and ruins the shots by introducing too much noise. e.g. Why the hell would I want to shoot timelapse at ISO 1600 on P&S camera? It's totally bad for image quality.
Even the least expensive Canon P&S camera will let you select the ISO value to use.  Just take it out of ISO auto mode in the Canon menu?

Would it be possible for script to read directly the settings I've dialed in in manual mode? So I don't have to copy them by hand to the script menu. It would make it simpler to use, and in general makes sense, at least to me.
If I get a minute, I will take a look.  It seems I have released two different scripts called mHDlapse.lua at different times so I need to sort that out first.

Offline Marg

• SX510-HS
« Reply #17 on: 11 / November / 2015, 20:35:31 »
Even the least expensive Canon P&S camera will let you select the ISO value to use.  Just take it out of ISO auto mode in the Canon menu?

I agree with you, and I've done that, but it doesn't work that way. Whichever ISO I select, it still choses one that camera meters as if it were set to AUTO. I know it's strange but whatever.. :)

E.g. In full AUTO mode, the camera gives me ISO 400, 1/100 sec. I set the ISO to 80 and the camera now gives me 1/20sec, but what shows up in HDR script is still the first measurment, that is ISO400 1/100 sec as if it were still in full auto mode. It makes no regard for the custom ISO.
I suspect the script takes it's values somewhere "deeper" and the measurements gets "corrected" afterwards (i.e. taking custom ISO into account and modifying shutter speed).. anyway, that's how it seems to me..

Hope I make sense now.

And of course, it's also possible that it only happens on my camera model, (SX510H) since everything here is experimental in nature.

Thanks for replying. It's not that I really mind that much entering the values by copying tham, but since you've made an effort to modify the script, it would be great if you made this extra step because then the script would be really complete. Also, I suggest you to upload your modification to CHDK script library (their "wiki" I guess). I found it by mere stubbornes because I've gone all over the internet to find something that will work for me because of some quirks I've been experiencing with CHDK on my camera model.
« Last Edit: 11 / November / 2015, 20:37:12 by Marg »

« Reply #18 on: 11 / November / 2015, 22:49:32 »
I suspect the script takes it's values somewhere "deeper" and the measurements gets "corrected" afterwards (i.e. taking custom ISO into account and modifying shutter speed).. anyway, that's how it seems to me..
This might be a good time to ask exactly which script you are referring to here?

Thanks for replying. It's not that I really mind that much entering the values by copying tham, but since you've made an effort to modify the script, it would be great if you made this extra step because then the script would be really complete.
After you spend a little time here, or reading some of the historical post,  you will likely find that many of the regulars here are suckers for modifying scripts for well worded requests from individual users. 

Also, I suggest you to upload your modification to CHDK script library (their "wiki" I guess). I found it by mere stubbornes because I've gone all over the internet to find something that will work for me because of some quirks I've been experiencing with CHDK on my camera model.
Unfortunately,  there is not really an organized CHDK script library.   Unless you mean this : User Written Scripts.  I have a bit of familiarity with that page (User Written Scripts : History ) but it's a lot like "herding cats".  From time to time we have had a discussion about a download package of "standard" scripts but it always gets tough deciding what gets included / excluded and how to document what is there.   

Maybe I'll just do "my" version of stuff I've written, supported or admired.  Use or ignore as you so desire?

« Last Edit: 11 / November / 2015, 22:52:03 by waterwingz »

Offline Marg

• SX510-HS
« Reply #19 on: 12 / November / 2015, 04:46:19 »
This might be a good time to ask exactly which script you are referring to here?

I'm reffering to the original HDRlapse script ("HDR Fast Shooter" + timelapse), i.e the one from the 1st post, which works only in AUTO mode. Well, it's actually due to the HDR Fast Shooter script, since timelapse part of it is not relevant for this issue I guess. Just to clarify myself again: There is some issue with HDR script not accepting/ignoring custom custom manual settings that are imposed (such as in Av, Tv, P mode custom ISO etc) and it proceeds as if everything was set to full AUTO mode - the measured values you get are always what the camera thinks it's good, not what you set.

So yeah perhaps I confused you because I was referring to 2 different scripts. I was saying that I had a problem with the "full AUTO" script (which is not yours if I got it right - you just put it together with timelapse), and also that your "manual mode" script modification works great but it would benefit by having it automatically copy settings you dial in in M mode.

Thanks for replying. It's not that I really mind that much entering the values by copying tham, but since you've made an effort to modify the script, it would be great if you made this extra step because then the script would be really complete.
After you spend a little time here, or reading some of the historical post,  you will likely find that many of the regulars here are suckers for modifying scripts for well worded requests from individual users. 

Unfortunately,  there is not really an organized CHDK script library.   Unless you mean this : User Written Scripts.  I have a bit of familiarity with that page (User Written Scripts : History ) but it's a lot like "herding cats".  From time to time we have had a discussion about a download package of "standard" scripts but it always gets tough deciding what gets included / excluded and how to document what is there.   

Maybe I'll just do "my" version of stuff I've written, supported or admired.  Use or ignore as you so desire?

Yes I understand the difficulties. I'm a programmer self but I was too busy to go about learning the programming language used here (actual photography being more important to me at this time), so I was wondering if there was some capable guy here (perhaps even the original autor of the script) who could do it without much effort. :) Also, some user input on the script is always desirable.
It's obvious that User Scripts is not much of a library, but it helps when everything is in one place, however that place turns out to be.

Anyway, I'm not here to pursue anyone to do anything. If it was that important to me, I'd do it myself, but yeah, who want's to learn a whole programming language etc. just to make some simple changes...

Thanks again for replying/discussing.