Setting focus from scripts or menus - page 14 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Setting focus from scripts or menus

• 601 Replies
Advertisements
Hallo,

now the test with 2.9 / ixus970_sd890-100b-1.3.0-3303

IXUS 970 IS 100b

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
@ww:

I think,  the result in the spreadsheet for the SX220 is not correct. It should be same as the SX230.

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
...so it looks like it's the  file create is having an issue...
Known CHDK issue - the first file written to the file system is is always 2000-01-01 when there's no file written by  the original firmware before...
This also applies to RAW/DNG files written by CHDK & the DCIM folder structure.

Setting focus from scripts or menus : please run this script and report back
« Reply #133 on: 06 / January / 2014, 16:44:37 »
CHDK's developers need help cleaning up CHDK's ability to set camera focus across all the models supported by CHDK.  There are many variations between different Canon P&S cameras supported by CHDK and several different methods for dealing with these variations.   In order to support all cameras with a common script and user interface, CHDK developers need to understand what focus method works best with each camera.  If you have the ability to run CHDK on your camera and would like to help, please see the instructions below.   

• Check here to see if test results are needed for your camera : Focus Test XRef Table
  • Download and install the lastest development version of CHDK 1.3.0 for your camera from here : CHDK 1.3.0 Download Page  (rev 3303 or higher). If you have an SD card with CHDK installed already, simply copy the files & folders from the CHDK distribution to that card, preserving the folder structure.
  • Download this script : MF_test.lua and install in the script directory (/CHDK/SCRIPTS ) on your SD card 
  • Important Note :  enable Lua Native Calls in the CHDK Miscellaneous Stuff menu.
  • Set sure your camera into "P"  mode rather than "AUTO" mode,  with ServoAF and ContinuousAF disabled in the Canon shooting menu (if possible)
  • Make sure your camera is not in MF (manual focus) or AFL (auto focus lock) modes.
  • Run the script with the default parameters while watching the progress on your camera's LCD screen.
  • Knowing which tests crash is just as important as knowing which fail or pass. If the script stops and the camera hangs or shuts down at any point, you can disable the test it was trying to run at that point with the Script menu.  Then restart the test.  This might happen with more than one test - keep disabling the tests until the script can complete. Knowing which tests crash is just as important as knowing which fail or pass.
  • Test results are stored in a file in the root directory of your SD card.  The file name will be your camera model and the extension .csv  (e.g.  a495.csv )(e.g. a1200.csv ) here.

As always,  CHDK is a hack and there is always a remote risk of permanent damage. See this CHDK FAQ Entry for more information. 

As a reminder,  CHDK installation instructions are here :  CHDK : Prepare your SD Card and instruction for running scripts are here :  CHDK User Manual : Scripts

Feel free to any questions about using this script here on the forum and please post any results either here or at chdk2014@gmail.com   

Thank you for your help.
« Last Edit: 09 / January / 2014, 07:37:13 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

I don't usually run scripts on my cameras, and it took me a while to hunt down how to do it in the user manual.  If these draft instructions are to be followed by everyone interested, maybe a few words on how to run the script would be helpful.

I don't usually run scripts on my cameras, and it took me a while to hunt down how to do it in the user manual.  If these draft instructions are to be followed by everyone interested, maybe a few words on how to run the script would be helpful.
Thanks - good feedback.  To be perfectly candid,  I'll admit that I really only expected experienced CHDK users to respond to this request.  So to keep things a manageable length, maybe I can just insert a few appropriate links?   
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Thanks - good feedback.  To be perfectly candid,  I'll admit that I really only expected experienced CHDK users to respond to this request.  So to keep things a manageable length, maybe I can just insert a few appropriate links?

I have hacked the CHDK source code a bit and built my own packages, controlled my cameras via chdkptp and shell scripts, but I've rarely had to run a script on the camera.  I was thinking of a few words like "fully press the shoot button in Alt mode", or something like that, to inform those like me how to do it.  However, if the vast majority of CHDK users are familiar with running scripts, then I guess it makes sense to leave it as is.  I really have no idea how well known that information is.

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
    • Planetary astrophotography
Results for a530 and a590

Offline srsa_4c

Results for a3400 attached (script used was msl's v2.8). The AF lock and MFOn tests crash the camera, the other two tests succeed. SD override in continuous AF or servo AF usually results in a crash.

Cameras like this will need an SD override method that isn't tied to the other capt_seq overrides. I tried putting delays before and after the call to MoveFocusLensToDistance, but that didn't help.

New build for SX200IS makes a big difference. Now passing in auto-focus mode as attached.