proposal - script shooting hooks - page 7 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

proposal - script shooting hooks

• 290 Replies

Offline reyalp

Re: proposal - script shooting hooks
« Reply #60 on: 01 / March / 2015, 14:29:16 »
Advertisements
Then I run drtest.lua, but it seems that there is not much information. The S110 makes 5 pictures, G1X just 3. It looks like, there was an exception but I haven’t had the time to find out…
Since the csv files only have the header row, there must have been some error. If you don't see an error on the screen after running, go to miscellaneous->console in the CHDK menu and select "Display last console"

Ok, upload from DNG is to much. Can I try to send on the EMail which is in the LUA Script?
I'd suggest uploading to a file hosting site like box.com, dropbox, google drive etc, but if you can't do that email is OK.

Pictures against the sun have mostly big dark areas. But when you don`t want to have to much Overexposure, you must let them dark. Yes this scene has big dark areas….
Pictures against the sun are the difficults ones. I think for this condition, Underexposure has to be ignored. I will try it the next time.
You aren't going to get correct exposure of the sun itself without a very heavy filter, so I prefer to just let it be over exposed and keep the rest of the scene reasonable. Maybe that's not what you meant?
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #61 on: 01 / March / 2015, 17:08:23 »
Updated scripts. This should make the limits work for bv ev shift. This still has some rough edges and I haven't got a good test in real conditions yet, so bugs are likely.

Additionally, I added an option Bv Ev shift base Bv, which lets you specify an absolute Bv value rather than using the first shot. This should correspond reasonably well to real Bv values, so ~10 would target neutral exposure in full sun.

Finally, I added an option "Gauge Y offset %" for the vertical position of the debug display, so you can make it show up if the jpeg isn't the same aspect ratio as the sensor. The value is in % of sensor height, except zero which uses a small fixed offset from the top.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #62 on: 02 / March / 2015, 00:01:14 »
Here's a boring but mostly successful example of the bv ev shift setting at 30%
http://youtu.be/1JaED5mztjI
This gives a ~4 stop drop in exposure over a ~16 stop drop in actual scene brightness.

There is glitch toward the end: When the clouds roll in, under exposure protection pushes the exposure up. As the Bv plot shows, the sky didn't actually get brighter. Other than that it worked pretty much exactly as I hoped.

While going through the log, another thought occurred to me:
Rather than changing the exposure, you could theoretically just expose all the frames "correctly" and use the Bv adjust the brightness at whatever scale you want after the fact. Not sure what tools you'd use to do it though.

Offline c_joerg

« Reply #63 on: 02 / March / 2015, 07:30:13 »
Here's a boring but mostly successful example of the bv ev shift setting at 30%

Yes, I agree. Fantastic.  That is how I would prefer it.
Overexposure and Underexposure are defaults?
When you make videos, I would be interest about changes to the default settings.

I’m wondering that the aperture (av96) changes.
I thought the script doesn't handle aperture adjustments yet.

I run the script in Av Mode. Is this OK?  I have not seen any restriction.

I try to run drtest.lua again and look about the exception.

When it is necessary to share more files, I will install a dropbox. Until now, I don’t have something like this.

When I talking about pictures against the sun, I mean sunset and sunrise, like in your last video. Of course, I always use the ND filter from the cam to protect the cam a little bit. I also check the sensor temperature in my script and make a shutdown when the temperature exceeds 59 degree. Does this make sense in your script?

lets you specify an absolute Bv value rather than using the first shot.

The first shoots with the script have always a lot Overexposure (not seen on my plot, but it’s in the log file). After 5-10 shoots it is Ok. Can this make problems when using the first shot?

This is the time laps video from the test with 1% Overexposure where the overexposure increases after around picture 225 (9s on the video). May be its helpful.

http://youtu.be/_6X7-tTv29M
M100 100a, M3 121a, G9x II (1.00c), 2*G1x (101a,100e), S110 (103a), SX50 (100c), SX230 (101a), S45,
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/136329431@N06/albums
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrTH0tHy9OYTVDzWIvXEMlw/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

Offline c_joerg

« Reply #64 on: 02 / March / 2015, 12:11:59 »
Run drtest with a different background again.
S110 runs OK but G1X makes following Error:

A/CHDK/SCRIPTS/TEST/DRTEST.LUA:388: bad argument #1 to 'raw_to_ev96' (number expected, got nil)
M100 100a, M3 121a, G9x II (1.00c), 2*G1x (101a,100e), S110 (103a), SX50 (100c), SX230 (101a), S45,
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrTH0tHy9OYTVDzWIvXEMlw/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

Offline reyalp

« Reply #65 on: 02 / March / 2015, 13:18:24 »
Yes, I agree. Fantastic.  That is how I would prefer it.
Overexposure and Underexposure are defaults?
Ev shift 1/4
Meter low thresh 3
Meter low limit 4
Overexp thresh% 2
Overexp Ev 1/4
Underexp thresh% 10
Underexp -Ev 5

I’m wondering that the aperture (av96) changes.
I thought the script doesn't handle aperture adjustments yet.
This is actually the ND filter, but for exposure calculation it's treated as Av. Note that the script currently supports this only on cameras that don't have an iris. On cameras like the S110 or G1X that have both, ND is currently ignored by the script.
I run the script in Av Mode. Is this OK?  I have not seen any restriction.
It shouldn't matter. As far as I know, the canon firmware won't adjust settings while it's shooting. I'd stay away from weird scene modes.

When it is necessary to share more files, I will install a dropbox. Until now, I don’t have something like this.
With most of those services you can also just upload through the web site if you don't want to install the app.

When I talking about pictures against the sun, I mean sunset and sunrise, like in your last video. Of course, I always use the ND filter from the cam to protect the cam a little bit. I also check the sensor temperature in my script and make a shutdown when the temperature exceeds 59 degree. Does this make sense in your script?
That's not a bad idea, I can put in a temperature shutdown option. I've wondered how bad it is to point the sun, but I haven't seen problems yet. The sensor and optical temperature is recorded in the logs, so far I haven't seen any crazy values. FWIW, on some cameras at least the reported "sensor" temperature is somewhere on the sensor PCB, but not part of the actual image sensor chip.
The first shoots with the script have always a lot Overexposure (not seen on my plot, but it’s in the log file). After 5-10 shoots it is Ok. Can this make problems when using the first shot?
Maybe, but I don't think it should be a big problem in most cases. Since it uses absolute brightness, the exact exposure doesn't matter, but the Bv will be underestimated if the pixels in the meter area are saturated.

This is the time laps video from the test with 1% Overexposure where the overexposure increases after around picture 225 (9s on the video). May be its helpful.
It would be helpful to see the debug displays. Is this the same sequence from the log you posted earlier? It looks like quite a large area of sky is overexposed, so a larger "Overexp Ev" might help. If you don't mind having the rest of the scene dark, you could also reduce or disable under exposure protection (larger Underexp thresh% and Underexp -Ev)

I'll have a look at the drtest stuff later.

Offline c_joerg

« Reply #66 on: 02 / March / 2015, 13:45:32 »
Is this the same sequence from the log you posted earlier?

Yes, but without the first few pictures.

but I haven't seen problems yet.

I also not until yet... hope the ND Filter helps a little bit. but have always a bad feeling....

The sensor and optical temperature is recorded in the logs, so far I haven't seen any crazy values.

I have it also logged in my scripts, highest temperature in my logs was 56 degree Celsius.
« Last Edit: 02 / March / 2015, 13:50:47 by c_joerg »

Offline c_joerg

« Reply #67 on: 04 / March / 2015, 02:54:17 »
When you think, the parameter from your last time lapse are good values to start with, then you should put them as defaults.

Who do you make the plot from the log file? Do you have a special tool for it?

It would be helpful to see the debug displays.

Yes of course. When I make both, JPG and RAW, than I would have the debug information probable in the RAW or?  RAW has always the full size senor size. 
I’m always getting a little bit scared, to lose a nice scene with this option.  OK, as long I’m testing, it should be OK.
But, my understanding was, all the information is also in the log file or? So it is possible, to put this bar later on in the JPG Files. I’m using MATLAB. In MATLAB it’s very easy to open and writing JPG Files. In MATLAB you have a matrix of R G B data which can be easy modified.  When I have the time, I will try it.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #68 on: 04 / March / 2015, 16:27:00 »
When you think, the parameter from your last time lapse are good values to start with, then you should put them as defaults.
Yes, I try to update the defaults as find better values.
Who do you make the plot from the log file? Do you have a special tool for it?
I used the chart tool in libreoffice spreadsheet program. It's not very flexible and hangs sometimes but it's easy.

Yes of course. When I make both, JPG and RAW, than I would have the debug information probable in the RAW or?  RAW has always the full size senor size. 
It probably would, but it's probably not worth using raw just for that. You could shoot native sensor resolution jpeg and crop to 16:9 when you make the video. You can turn off the meter box completely. I don't know what you use to make video, but with ffmpeg it's very easy to crop.

Do you know what aspect ratio the camera was set to for the DNG you sent? I'm pretty sure the camera will always do full frame raw, but it would be good to verify just in case. If the camera only read out the rows it needs, that would definitely cause trouble.

But, my understanding was, all the information is also in the log file or? So it is possible, to put this bar later on in the JPG Files. I’m using MATLAB. In MATLAB it’s very easy to open and writing JPG Files. In MATLAB you have a matrix of R G B data which can be easy modified.  When I have the time, I will try it.
Yes, all the information in should be in the log. For me it's convenient to have on the jpeg so I can tell visually where something happened, but as you say it's not good if the video comes out nice.

Regarding your S110 drtest results:
I found the active area was not defined correctly for CHDK (http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=12264.0) This would make functions that work on color not correct, but shouldn't affect the exposure metering in rawopint. The colors in the debug display would have been wrong.

I haven't looked into the G1x failure much yet. I think the line number is actually 386, the 6 and 8 can be hard to tell apart in the CHDK display.

Offline c_joerg

« Reply #69 on: 05 / March / 2015, 06:13:46 »
Do you know what aspect ratio the camera was set to for the DNG you sent?

I just checked the JPG from this shoot. It is 4000*3000 so the ratio must be 4:3.

you could shoot native sensor resolution jpeg and crop to 16:9 when you make the video..

Yes of course. The process is not the problem. The reason, why I made the picture in 16:9 was that I don’t want to lose something from the scene, when I cut the pictures later on to 16:9.  May be some lines on the Display for 16:9 should be helpful. Is there any option in CHDK to do this? But I think to generate lines in a Script should be not a problem.

« Last Edit: 05 / March / 2015, 07:21:13 by c_joerg »