A720 limits: submit what you know works or doesn't work. - page 2 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum  

A720 limits: submit what you know works or doesn't work.

• 31 Replies
Re: A720 limits: submit what you know works or doesn't work.
« Reply #10 on: 18 / April / 2008, 20:52:34 »
Advertisements
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 18:15:47 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

« Reply #11 on: 18 / April / 2008, 21:17:39 »
Well this my last response to you as you seem like the kind of person who just says things and then can't back such things up.

I like to quote funny things too:

"No, you only ended up compouding the problem. Instead of using the information you found and then editing the Wikia so that that information can be found by anyone directed there, everyone is then forced to continually come to this forum to ask the same question over and over and over again. Are you going to answer every one of them that continually comes here looking for the very same help that you could have added to the Wikia? If you really wanted to help others you would have taken that information and merged it into the Wikia where it belongs."    <--------------Brilliant

If you hate newbie questions so much, the fix the wiki yourself.  YOU are the one whining and moaning (ive seen your moaning in other threads where you tell others what to do).

Th end.

Offline wap4

• A720IS
« Reply #12 on: 19 / April / 2008, 02:25:28 »
No, you only ended up compouding the problem. Instead of using the information you found and then editing the Wikia so that that information can be found by anyone directed there, everyone is then forced to continually come to this forum to ask the same question over and over and over again. Are you going to answer every one of them that continually comes here looking for the very same help that you could have added to the Wikia? If you really wanted to help others you would have taken that information and merged it into the Wikia where it belongs.

Barney,I understand your point. In fact,I replied to someone's query,he is referring to that thread. I will not post direct solutions
anymore,instead post the links to wikia as the purpose of this forum is not to give installation instruction.
« Last Edit: 24 / April / 2008, 01:16:38 by wap4 »

« Reply #13 on: 19 / April / 2008, 09:43:47 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 18:16:09 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline wap4

• A720IS
« Reply #14 on: 20 / April / 2008, 10:30:50 »
 I am making just one suggestion. A readme file may be included along with the diskboot.bin in the zipped folder which will describe installation instruction. Bootable.exe/cardtricks utility may be also included in the zip folders.

« Last Edit: 24 / April / 2008, 01:16:10 by wap4 »

Offline BB

« Reply #15 on: 20 / April / 2008, 13:03:53 »
How would the people that do the "real work" feel about adding Readme.txt files as suggest by WAP4 with links to the dynamic stuff (like to the wiki when talking about where to get the bootable.exe file)?

Or, in the Wiki, create a similar readme (or readme links on the opening page where the supported cameras are listed) for each camera model with major points for newbies ("play"/firmware update vs bootable, where is the <ALT> buttion, etc.).

I know that it took me a few rounds reading through wiki and this forum before I was able to successfully load my A720is--of course, I had a few weeks to "kill" while watching the "some success porting dry os" thread--so I pretty much understood how it all fit together before I had any code to try.

It is always a pain to decide when specific models should be addressed vs addressing the CHDK software as a whole. For many--digesting the whole of CHDK plus the individual issues (USB writes through camera, vs external readers, vs SD/SDHC, "WindRiver" vs "Dry OS", ND filters and aperture controls--or lack thereof, etc.).

At least with some sort of model specific readme files/webpage(s), those of us that have experience with one camera model can help those without accidentally "polluting" or misinterpreting CHDK features/interactions with other models that we have no idea about in the generic documentation...

-Bill

Offline wap4

• A720IS
« Reply #16 on: 20 / April / 2008, 23:37:38 »
Or, in the Wiki, create a similar readme (or readme links on the opening page where the supported cameras are listed) for each camera model with major points for newbies ("play"/firmware update vs bootable, where is the <ALT> buttion, etc.).
See, the WIKI has already these documentations in the FAQ section,though not separately for each camera model.

After the criticism of Barney,I reread the WIKIA page,and I figured that new users who are posting installation queries here really lack the patience to read it fully. All of their queries has been answered there. Maybe they can't find the FAQ page easily?

What may be done is to create two readme files - One for DryOS cams and another for VxWorks cams which will be included in the respective zip folders that users download.It is not very difficult to specify the ALT button there(i.e. for S series and A series).The usages of 8gb sdhc cards has to be mentioned also.
« Last Edit: 24 / April / 2008, 01:13:18 by wap4 »

« Reply #17 on: 21 / April / 2008, 14:46:45 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 18:16:38 by Barney Fife »

Offline BB

« Reply #18 on: 22 / April / 2008, 00:39:29 »
Here is a first cut at a "readme.txt" file for the A720IS... Plain ASCII, no formating, and I have not checked for spelling or grammar (not that I am very good at either).  :P

Take a look and see if this is helpful for a "newbie" or not worth the bytes it is written with.

-Bill

Offline BB

« Reply #19 on: 23 / April / 2008, 01:36:01 »
I see a few people have downloaded my "readme.txt" file for the A720IS...

Anyone have any opinions on its usefulness (or not)?

-Bill