After much testing this morning I think I have found the issue, CHDK dark frame mode enabled in the meteor 2.6 script. It turns out it's the only script where the camera freezes up. I went through disabling different features of the script and camera. When the dark frame method is set to "CHDK", I would get sporadic stops at either 1 pic or 102 pics. The script was set to take 150 pics (only 1 of 5 attempts made it to the 150 pic mark).
I've set Dark Frame mode to "none" and I've had 3 successful attempts in a row. All other features including display off work fine. I don't mind leaving the dark frame off, I haven't been doing any subtraction with the TL images anyway lately. As long as I keep the ISO to 800 or less it's ok. More than that and
I get too many white sensor specks.
So far this morning I've taken 1227 photos with the camera using my dual 16850 battery pack and the in-camera power level meter is still at 88%. I know the meter reading is probably not calibrated correctly for these cells but I bet I could easily get double the shots I've gotten so far. This battery pack works awesome.
Not sure what the in camera dark frame operation is doing to lock up the operation but at least I found a workaround.