General roadmap how to maintain a personalized CHDK version - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

General roadmap how to maintain a personalized CHDK version

• 4 Replies
General roadmap how to maintain a personalized CHDK version
« on: 21 / January / 2014, 06:37:25 »
Advertisements
Hello,

I am more and more customizing my CHDK version and don't want to loose the posibility to participate from the official releases or trunks. I know I have to use SVN to do that, so I installed ToutoiseSVN and also was able to check out the trunk from https://tools.assembla.com/svn/chdk/trunk

Now, I don't understand the whole system really. On one hand I have CHDK-Shell that downloads most recent trunks. But is CHDK-Shell capable of sort of "combining" the "patch" files I got here from the forum that personalize my CHDK version? If so, where to put them then?

Is there somewhere a sort of "Getting started" for CHDK developer that explains how to setup CHDK-Shell and SVN and how to deal with own code?

Thanks a lot!

Re: General roadmap how to maintain a personalized CHDK version
« Reply #1 on: 21 / January / 2014, 06:52:32 »
You are going to need to learn to generate and apply patch files.

From the command line, something like : 
svn diff  > changes.patch 
and
patch -p0 < change.patch

TortoiseSVN has similar commands available from the GUI.

Sometimes the patch file will fail to work if its patching something in that has changed in the svn repository.  Error files are produced that will tell you what failed - its a hand edit job at that point.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 21 / January / 2014, 07:17:22 »
Thanks a lot.

The problem for me is this:

When using TourtoiseSVN I obviously have to create a "working" copy. Now I managed to make TorutoiseSVN to download the trunk into CHDK-Shell trunk folder, so I can compile the Tourtoise-downloaded source with CHDK-Shell. Also I managed to apply the patches.

But I wonder if this is the right way. Say I have some changes like the ones I got from patches here from the forum (like yours) and want to always apply them to the future trunks. Will I always have to go the "Apply patches..."-way? Or can I use some automatism?

Thanks! Martin...

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #3 on: 21 / January / 2014, 07:51:56 »
In principle, yes.

You have a folder with a working copy of the CHDK trunk. Make your private changes. If a new revision is available you can update your working copy. TortoiseSVN tries to integrate the update automatically. Is there a conflict with your personal changes, TortoiseSVN will mark the conflict files. These files you have to change manually.

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

« Reply #4 on: 21 / January / 2014, 19:37:46 »
Also,  AFAIK all of the patch files I've sent you are intended to end up in the standard version at some point.    Precision sync is already available as a "per camera" build option - the sx200 can be enabled as soon as you report testing results.   Battery door switch override can be added as an SX200 platform code.  And I'm really only working on the remote via A/D channel code because I hope to make it generally available (at least as a build option).

But other than that,  maintaining your own version of CHDK patches will always require some ongoing manual maintenance as the underlying svn code changes. 
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16