SX170 porting - page 22 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

SX170 porting

• 266 Replies

Offline srsa_4c

Re: SX170 porting
« Reply #210 on: 05 / February / 2015, 16:45:30 »
Advertisements
Thanks for the fast response.
there is some barrel distortion and vignetting (the photos were taken at full wide-angle).
That's normal, all newer super/ultra zoom models do that at wide angle.

New test builds with the following changes:

- bracketing in custom timer should now work
- CAM_MARKET_ISO_BASE is now set to 200 (no need to test this)
- enabled ARAM, that means 120kB extra RAM for CHDK

Please test bracketing in custom timer and report 'free memory' in playback and shooting mode (Miscellaneous stuff -> Show memory info). Also check whether DNGs are saved in the JPEG file's directory when 'RAW file folder' is set to 'withJPG' in the RAW menu.

edit: old builds removed
« Last Edit: 06 / February / 2015, 16:38:21 by srsa_4c »

Offline TMHKR

• Canon PowerShot SX170 IS (1.01a firmware)
« Reply #211 on: 05 / February / 2015, 17:24:41 »
Please test bracketing in custom timer and report 'free memory' in playback and shooting mode (Miscellaneous stuff -> Show memory info). Also check whether DNGs are saved in the JPEG file's directory when 'RAW file folder' is set to 'withJPG' in the RAW menu.

1. Bracketing via custom timer now works.

2. Memory info:

Free memory: 242960 bytes
CHDK size: 141648 bytes
Loaded at: 0x16FB10
Note: Free memory is exactly the same in both shooting and playback mode.

3. Yes, DNG files are saved in the JPEG files directory - that's the default setting anyway, I haven't changed it.

However, I've found a new bug - it's the Edge Overlay mode. The overlay itself is corrupted, it basically looks like a bunch of pixelated, red color noise. Take a look at the attached photos.

EDIT: Zebra Mode also doesn't work - the same red noise is displayed, only not so dense. The Grids are working fine.

There's also a minor bug, the rotating control dial is inverted. In Canon menus, rotate clockwise to move down (the correct way). However, in CHDK menus, rotate clockwise to move up.
« Last Edit: 05 / February / 2015, 17:41:45 by TMHKR »

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #212 on: 05 / February / 2015, 18:30:47 »
Free memory: 242960 bytes
240k isn't a whole lot... That will have to be dealt with if somebody reports a memory related crash here.

However, I've found a new bug - it's the Edge Overlay mode. The overlay itself is corrupted, it basically looks like a bunch of pixelated, red color noise. Take a look at the attached photos.

EDIT: Zebra Mode also doesn't work - the same red noise is displayed, only not so dense
Cool, wrong framebuffer address... Guessing framebuffers blindly isn't my favourite occupation. I'll see if I can do something about that.

There's also a minor bug, the rotating control dial is inverted. In Canon menus, rotate clockwise to move down (the correct way). However, in CHDK menus, rotate clockwise to move up.
Next update will correct that.

Offline TMHKR

« Reply #213 on: 05 / February / 2015, 18:54:37 »
Memory related crash? Never encountered one, not yet - at least in my case.

Yes, the corruption of Edge Overlay and Zebra might be the main problem now.

Can we say that RAW (DNG), Override Av values and bracketing via custom timer are now fully operational? I mean, may we call it completed and move over to Edge Overlay and Zebra?

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #214 on: 05 / February / 2015, 19:09:16 »
Memory related crash? Never encountered one, not yet - at least in my case.
A crash is usually described by users as "the camera turns off with extended lens". We only know it's memory related once we see the signs in the romlog created after the crash.
Can we say that RAW (DNG), Override Av values and bracketing via custom timer are now fully operational? I mean, may we call it completed and move over to Edge Overlay and Zebra?
According to your reports, this seems to be the case.

Offline TMHKR

« Reply #215 on: 05 / February / 2015, 19:33:22 »
I will help you as much as I can, I believe you once said you're doing this blindly, without the actual camera. I don't know a single bit about DryOS programming, but I'll perform any testing you require, I'm here on a daily basis. nafraf has the camera, but version 1.00a and he's not been heard of lately. I'm using 1.01a.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #216 on: 06 / February / 2015, 16:37:10 »
Cool, wrong framebuffer address... Guessing framebuffers blindly isn't my favourite occupation. I'll see if I can do something about that.
Got it. The bug was affecting the 101a port because the address of viewport_buffers[] was the one used in 100a.

The attached test build corrects the jogdial direction and the framebuffer addresses. I'd like to know whether zebra, etc. displays correctly or not.

edit: test builds removed
« Last Edit: 06 / February / 2015, 19:00:25 by srsa_4c »

Offline TMHKR

« Reply #217 on: 06 / February / 2015, 16:56:21 »
Got it. The bug was affecting the 101a port because the address of viewport_buffers[] was the one used in 100a.

The attached test build corrects the jogdial direction and the framebuffer addresses. I'd like to know whether zebra, etc. displays correctly or not.

Edge Overlay / Zebra / Histogram = OK

Control dial direction = OK

Also, here are some less important questions:

- When you select the "Hold" option in Canon's "Review image after shooting" setting, some CHDK functions don't work properly - they just halt when you execute them. Scripts don't continue after their first command, creation of badpixel.bin fails... In essence, any function that requires some kind of automation fails, because the camera "holds" the first image and waits for a half-press to continue. When you turn off the image review, everything works fine because the camera doesn't wait for user input. I believe it was explained somewhere in the CHDK manual, I can't remember.

- There are no bitrate and mute-on-zoom video settings in any SX170 build of CHDK so far, I believe it's because they wouldn't make any particular difference to the video quality anyway.
« Last Edit: 06 / February / 2015, 17:25:32 by TMHKR »

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #218 on: 06 / February / 2015, 17:36:07 »
Edge Overlay / Zebra / Histogram = OK

Control dial direction = OK
Thanks.
I think I'll commit the changes and release the port as alpha for the autobuild, unless somebody has objections.

- When you select the "Hold" option in Canon's "Review image after shooting" setting, some CHDK functions don't work properly (they just halt when you execute them) - scripts don't continue after their first command, creation of badpixel.bin file fails - in essence, any function that requires some kind of automation fails, because the camera "holds" the first image and waits for a half-press to continue. I believe it was explained somewhere in the CHDK manual, can't remember.
That's a known issue with no solution at the moment.

- There are no bitrate and mute-on-zoom video setting in any SX170 build of CHDK so far, I believe it's because they didn't make any particular difference to the video quality.
The video recording related parts are harder to do because the related Canon code tends to change from time to time. Understanding the changes may require extensive debugging which is rather painful without having access to the camera. I'll leave it as-is for now.
This is not the only port without video features.

Offline TMHKR

« Reply #219 on: 06 / February / 2015, 17:53:08 »
Thanks.

I think I'll commit the changes and release the port as alpha for the autobuild, unless somebody has objections.

Since RAW is not corrupted anymore, Override Av values are corrected, frame buffer is correctly set, and bracketing works via custom timer, I can't see why not. All key features work, and if some minor problem occurs, we will have many more SX170 testers after the port is available on Autobuild.

MAY THE CREATURE BE UNCHAINED, MILORD...

Shout out to srsa_4c, nafraf, TMHKR, BinMaster, waterwingz, Garden, and all other who helped in developing and testing.
« Last Edit: 06 / February / 2015, 17:55:15 by TMHKR »