Ultimate Intervalometer - intermittent reboot faiure (powershot D10) - page 2 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Ultimate Intervalometer - intermittent reboot faiure (powershot D10)

• 63 Replies

Offline reyalp

Re: Ultimate Intervalometer - intermittent reboot faiure (powershot D10)
« Reply #10 on: 27 / January / 2014, 02:15:53 »
Advertisements
Does this ROM.LOG contain any useful clues about the failure/crash?
Yes. It's an old friend  >:(
Code: [Select]
ASSERT!! FsIoNotify.c Line 451
As it turns out, this not directly related to the reboot function. It happens when something tries to open too many files at once. When there are lots of images on the card, the cameras spends a while doing something with them, which can conflict with CHDK. Having a script auto-start probably makes this more likely to happen. Whether or not it actually happens is sensitive to timing, which varies depending on the SD card and the number of images.
ROM.LOG is a mystery to me but I see "ASSERT!! ... occurred time" is 12 seconds after "rebooting now" time for the failed reboot.
This is a good observation, it tells us this crash was actually associated with the reboot.

The two romlogs you posted a appear to be identical, if you meant to upload two different ones I think there was a mistake. But as long as it's the same assert, there's no need to post more.

I don't have a good workaround at the moment, but I'll think about it.

If you can reproduce it with the build I posted earlier, I will be able to see exactly which file open caused the trouble, which might provide ideas to avoid this specific occurrence.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline jules

« Reply #11 on: 27 / January / 2014, 05:14:43 »
My mistake, I attached the file twice, sorry.

I will look for ROM.LOGs in the other two cameras after I retrieve them.  No ROM.LOGs saved from previous fail/crash events unfortunately, because I did not know about them.

If I understood you correctly, the file issue is unrelated to rebooting. So I should just confirm that after every fail/crash I've seen, the last item on the Ult Int log was attempted reboot. I never got a crash at another point in the Ult Int cycle.

If number of files matters, it might be relevant that some fail/crash events happened after less than 24 hours (reboot setting 1 day) when there were not many files on the card. The latest fail/crash (ROM.LOG with my previous post) happened after much longer run than any before, so there were more files on the card. Still plenty of empty space though. 

I will load the new build and do another Ult Int run, then report back.

Many thanks indeed for helping me!

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #12 on: 27 / January / 2014, 12:59:17 »
I don't have a good workaround at the moment, but I'll think about it.
I do have an idea about one, but I don't know what kind of (scripting?) interface it would need.
We could place a file rename hook in fwt_open. Saving the files to directories unknown by the camera would probably prevent this kind of incident. Downside is that those images will become invisible in the camera UI...

Offline reyalp

« Reply #13 on: 27 / January / 2014, 16:49:47 »
If I understood you correctly, the file issue is unrelated to rebooting. So I should just confirm that after every fail/crash I've seen, the last item on the Ult Int log was attempted reboot. I never got a crash at another point in the Ult Int cycle.
It's related to booting, because both the camera and CHDK tend to open a lot of files at startup. It isn't related specifically to scripting reboots with the reboot() function, which was my original fear. You might get the same error just powering the camera on and off a bunch of times, but having a script autostart involves more file operations.

If number of files matters, it might be relevant that some fail/crash events happened after less than 24 hours (reboot setting 1 day) when there were not many files on the card.
In my experience, how often this kind of crash happens is affected by the number of files on the card, but there isn't a direct correlation like more files = more crashes. Rather you might find that say 20 pictures on a particular card triggered it most of the time, while 0 pictures or 100 didn't (numbers made up for illustration)

We actually have a workaround that mostly eliminated this problem, but it appears it wasn't complete.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #14 on: 27 / January / 2014, 17:06:10 »
I do have an idea about one, but I don't know what kind of (scripting?) interface it would need.
We could place a file rename hook in fwt_open. Saving the files to directories unknown by the camera would probably prevent this kind of incident. Downside is that those images will become invisible in the camera UI...
Interesting idea. Setting the jpeg name / path from script could be a potentially useful feature even without the startup crash issue. I see two options two do this
1) set a string once that has some simple substitution for file / directory numbers (how do you handle date based folders?)
2) set the full name from script for each shot before shooting. May be difficult in continuous mode, but could probably use shoot hook.

My feeling is jules is probably seeing this because of script autostart, and script still uses fopen() to read files in some places, meaning it doesn't benefit from the startup crash fix. Another brute force option might be to have an optional startup delay for auto start scripts.

« Reply #15 on: 28 / January / 2014, 11:49:27 »
Hello, today I opened a new thread for a similar problem I have here with 50 SX200IS. Now I will monitor this one, since waterwingz pointed me to here.

The problem has never been a big issue for me, but nowadays my camera rig gets realtime features - which it did not have before - and this means I will have more hurry to restart cameras if something goes wrong.

I had a very old CHDK version until three months ago (0.8 or so, I think), and there sometimes I had the issue described here. Now I have a very new release and still the issue is prominent, even more, it seems, since I use a startup script now.

I would be very happy with any solution, also delays or so, it is much better for me to wait a little but have the cams boot for sure than try over and over again.

Help would be appreciated very much. Thanks!

BTW.: I don't believe the issue depends on the amount of images on the card.
« Last Edit: 28 / January / 2014, 14:06:41 by Karmaschinken »

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #16 on: 28 / January / 2014, 17:40:19 »
1) set a string once that has some simple substitution for file / directory numbers (how do you handle date based folders?)
JPEG files are saved in a known directory depth, IMHO the only interesting part of the original full file name is the file name. But we could keep everything except 'DCIM' for example. We'll probably have to create missing directories ourselves.
2) set the full name from script for each shot before shooting. May be difficult in continuous mode, but could probably use shoot hook.
That's a bit more dangerous, illegal filenames can easily result in a crash.

My feeling is jules is probably seeing this because of script autostart, and script still uses fopen() to read files in some places, meaning it doesn't benefit from the startup crash fix.
Do other file related functions have lower level variants we could use? (Fopen_Fut, stat, mkdir ...?)

« Reply #17 on: 28 / January / 2014, 18:09:55 »
At least here on my SX200IS the boot failure happens also without startup scripts. Are you sure file access is the reason?

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #18 on: 28 / January / 2014, 18:39:27 »
At least here on my SX200IS the boot failure happens also without startup scripts. Are you sure file access is the reason?
Please make a new CHDK build, keep the resulting core/main.bin.dump, put the new diskboot.bin on one or more cameras, reproduce the crash, retrieve the romlog and attach here with main.bin.dump .
The assert happens in Open(), but it's not directly called from CHDK.

Offline jules

« Reply #19 on: 28 / January / 2014, 18:48:21 »
I ran Ult Int script on my D10 with CHDK build 3338 that reyalp kindly posted above.

Reboot was set to 1 day. Shots at 5 min intervals until dark (set time) and noshot at night. 

Ult Int ran as normal, shots were taken as normal, reboot failed.

ROMLOG attached shows the assert time was a few seconds after the time of reboot attempt.

I hope the log contains useful info and will be very grateful for expert diagnosis!