Any developers interested in working on CHDK firmware for the G9 ? - page 2 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

Any developers interested in working on CHDK firmware for the G9 ?

• 63 Replies

Offline digit

Re: Any developers interested in working on CHDK firmware for the G9 ?
« Reply #10 on: 10 / December / 2007, 15:27:15 »
Advertisements
I can confirm that the G9's auto focus green LED address is the same as the G7s.  Using the G7's blinker code does light up the green led, and after 40~70 sec'd it starts blinking.

Now I just need to rig the phototransistor to a pc...

Offline digit

« Reply #11 on: 14 / December / 2007, 22:44:32 »
Would anyone know if the phototransister described in the G7_blink files is the same as one that would be found in a device with a remote control?  aka ir phototransister?

linuxGuy

« Reply #12 on: 15 / December / 2007, 04:59:44 »
Would anyone know if the phototransister described in the G7_blink files is the same as one that would be found in a device with a remote control?  aka ir phototransister?

Could you clarify your question ?

Offline jeff666

• A720IS
« Reply #13 on: 15 / December / 2007, 07:59:08 »
aka ir phototransister?

An IR-Phototransistor will  probably not work very well, as it is intended for IR (ie. non visible) light.
If you have the choice, go for a transparent phototransistor. If you don't, you can still try the one you have but it will only work with the AF-LED (if at all).

An oscilloscope would be the best tool to check if you get a valid readout. If you don't have one you may try the soundcard input on your PC. In both cases, don't forget the power-supply for the phototransistor.

Cheers.

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
« Reply #14 on: 15 / December / 2007, 08:23:39 »
... In both cases, don't forget the power-supply for the phototransistor.
But it can be unnecessary. At least I used a phototransistor directly connected to mic-in of my soundcard without any external power.
CHDK Developer.

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #15 on: 15 / December / 2007, 12:51:06 »
An IR-Phototransistor will  probably not work very well, as it is intended for IR (ie. non visible) light.
If you have the choice, go for a transparent phototransistor. If you don't, you can still try the one you have but it will only work with the AF-LED (if at all).

I've never done a camera fw dump, but my 2 cents:

An IR phototransistor will probably work just fine, especially if it's a clear lense type (i.e. not black) and especially if the LED color is close to infrared (i.e. red or orange) since you can stick the phtotransistor really close to the LED and a typical clear lense IR phototransistor is not extremely sharply dependent of wavelength (even using blue light you may get something like 5% of the signal you'd get using IR; that's plenty to work with).

I would cover the camera & the phototransistor with a solid box or a thick cloth during reception, though.

But you probably can't use an IR remote control receiver module, as they tend to have demodulation circuitry built-in (unless the modulation sent by the blinker is already similar to a pre-existing remote control modulation in which case a LIRC compliant receiver could be used).

Offline digit

« Reply #16 on: 15 / December / 2007, 12:54:47 »
The reason i ask is because I could only find a ir transmitter/receiver pack at a local store.  The receiver is a clear phototransistor,  it looks like the one in the G7 blink instructions.  What I did not have is the power supply plugged to it. 
Jeff666 would u be able to post the powersupply specs(dc?  Voltage?) and what pins it should be connected to on the db9 connector?  It would be really appreciated.

I didn't try the mic connection because I wasn't sure if it would work for the G7/9 blinking. Should be easy enough to hook up so I will give that a try.

Thanks again

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #17 on: 15 / December / 2007, 13:23:40 »
Most computer microphone inputs output current limited 5 V (DC) voltage for biasing elecret microphones. This is why there's probably no need for an external power source as GrAnd suggested.

The BPW96C is a typical clear lense phototransistor (most efficient at 850 nm IR, but receives visible light as well).

linuxGuy

« Reply #18 on: 16 / December / 2007, 20:30:31 »
I don't have my G9 or 40D yet, but when I receive them I will build a receiver circuit and publish a schematic and parts list using Digikey part numbers.  It should then be easy for just about anyone to build.

« Reply #19 on: 29 / December / 2007, 15:17:30 »
hello G9 funs

I've created a new page for G9 development on wikia site (check this: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/G9) also can be found in the section "For Developers" and "Camera IDs"

I have also found PWR, ISO and BLUE LED exact addresses. Still missing 2 LEDs.

First I scaned the address range to find the LEDS  between 0xC0220060 and 0xC02200FF then focused to a small segment to find each one.

I used the HDHacker.exe utility to make the SD card bootable.
(owerwriten the segment starting at 0x00000040 with "hiew.exe" Hex editor "DISKBOOT" done the work)
After it I used the UploadFirmware utility to place the BOOTDISK.BIN

Has anybody successfully dumped the G9 firmware yet? Or started already?

« Last Edit: 29 / December / 2007, 15:33:33 by Titan_G9 »