CHDKplus.lua : adding M, Tv, Av, ISO+ exposure modes with a GUI - page 11 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum

CHDKplus.lua : adding M, Tv, Av, ISO+ exposure modes with a GUI

• 141 Replies
Re: CHDKplus.lua : adding M, Tv, Av, ISO+ exposure modes with a GUI
« Reply #100 on: 27 / July / 2014, 05:14:01 »
Advertisements
It gives a 3 on all my cameras but it's temperamental.

New test with nd filter=3 and nd filter=2

nd_used:true   in   P, Tv, Av, and Sv mode. Case dismissed ! :)

Link to test with pics and log

I'll look at the code again "just in case".
So the exposure check thingy has gone  ???

EDIT ... after about 150 shoots more

Definitely v 2.3 works better on ixus 125.
The nd filter is correctly engaged in bright light.
Sometimes it's not when @default setted at 2 f/stops. So nd at 3 f/stops seems the right value (on my cam) with a more stable behaviour. There is a slight acceptable/correctable overexposition in Tv, Av and Sv.

In dim lights it works well too. I need just to fine tune the @default parameters.
Just found the right config.

TY again ;)
« Last Edit: 27 / July / 2014, 08:02:46 by fabri22 »

« Reply #101 on: 27 / July / 2014, 12:52:58 »
Link to test with pics and log
Hard to reach exact conclusions here.  The minimum ISO setting of 100 means that the automatic modes never get a chance to match the exposure in P mode that the camera sets (at ISO90).   What happens if you force the ISO to 100 in the Canon shooting menu and test ?

So the exposure check thingy has gone  ???
Not sure what you mean here as nothing related to that changed.   But this version should now behave as you wanted at startup :
link>CHDKplus2-4beta.zip
  • P or Sv mode : the script checks exposure and sets the required Tv, Av, Sv setpoints.
  • Tv mode :  the script uses the Tv default value and calculates the required Av and Sv setpoints.
  • Av mode :  the script uses the Av default value and calculates the required Tv and Sv setpoints.
  • M mode :  the script uses the Tv, Av, Sv default values and checks the exposure./li]
Does that work for you now ?

EDIT ... after about 150 shoots more.  Definitely v 2.3 works better on ixus 125.  The nd filter is correctly engaged in bright light.
Good - was expecting that.

Sometimes it's not when @default setted at 2 f/stops. So nd at 3 f/stops seems the right value (on my cam) with a more stable behaviour. There is a slight acceptable/correctable overexposition in Tv, Av and Sv.
In dim lights it works well too. I need just to fine tune the @default parameters.
See my note above - the ISO setting is giving you different exposures with the same illumination.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #102 on: 27 / July / 2014, 14:26:49 »

What happens if you force the ISO to 100 in the Canon shooting menu and test ?
Things remain the same. A constant slight overexposition persists in Tv, Av and Sv with nd filter setted at 3 and canon iso=100.
Also i tryed lowering the @default ev compensation but it gives Tv, Av and Sv shots with a right constant exposure, but P mode shots are underexposed.
Not sure what you mean here as nothing related to that changed.   But this version should now behave as you wanted at startup :
link>CHDKplus2-4beta.zip
  • P or Sv mode : the script checks exposure and sets the required Tv, Av, Sv setpoints.
  • Tv mode :  the script uses the Tv default value and calculates the required Av and Sv setpoints.
  • Av mode :  the script uses the Av default value and calculates the required Tv and Sv setpoints.
  • M mode :  the script uses the Tv, Av, Sv default values and checks the exposure./li]
Does that work for you now ?
YEAH! You did it.  :) :) :)
It works fine.
Thank you
See my note above - the ISO setting is giving you different exposures with the same illumination.
ISO mode shoots now are exposed as Tv and Av are (in dim and bright lights) with nd filter=3.
Definitely this behaviour is more acceptable and stable than before (with previous versions and nd filter=2)... that was driving me nuts in testing
No more random exposures among modes, and results are more predictable now.

And thanks again for "the" script.
The best, complex and ambitious script ever written here.

;)
« Last Edit: 27 / July / 2014, 14:32:43 by fabri22 »

« Reply #103 on: 27 / July / 2014, 14:34:49 »

What happens if you force the ISO to 100 in the Canon shooting menu and test ?
Things remain the same.  A constant slight overexposition persists in Tv, Av and Sv with nd filter setted at 3 and canon iso=100.   
Setting the Canon ISO to 100 was an attempt to get the "P" mode image to match the exposure of the others.  The script ignores the Canon mode ISO setting when shooting in Tv, Av, M, or Sv modes and uses its own.

I suppose it is also possible that the camera thinks it has an ND filter with a 3 stop equivalent but the quality control of that little bit of film is not precise and you are really getting 2.5 or so stops ?

Also i tried lowering the @default ev compensation but it gives Tv, Av and Sv shots with a right constant exposure, but P mode shots are underexposed.
The @default ev will only affect the Tv,Av,Sv, and M images. It basically "tweaks" the meter reading by the entered amount.   In P mode,  the script lets the camera firmware shoot normally (no overrides) so it's just like pressing the shutter button without CHDK (or the script) loaded.

Thanks again for hanging with this - the software world has known for a long time just how impossible it is for somebody to effective test their own code.

« Reply #104 on: 27 / July / 2014, 15:49:33 »
I suppose it is also possible that the camera thinks it has an ND filter with a 3 stop equivalent but the quality control of that little bit of film is not precise and you are really getting 2.5 or so stops ?

Maybe, but out of scripts exposures seem fine.
The @default ev will only affect the Tv,Av,Sv, and M images. It basically "tweaks" the meter reading by the entered amount.   In P mode,  the script lets the camera firmware shoot normally (no overrides) so it's just like pressing the shutter button without CHDK (or the script) loaded.
My camera thinks different  :)
Look at attached picture.
Just to avoid misunderstandings i'm talking about the script @default ev +/- that affects P mode shoots on my cam ... even though what you're saying
« Last Edit: 27 / July / 2014, 16:54:13 by fabri22 »

« Reply #105 on: 27 / July / 2014, 15:53:07 »
My camera thinks different  :) Look at attached picture. Just to avoid misunderstandings i'm talking about the script @default ev +/- that affects P mode shoots on my cam ...
You're right - again.   The script sets the camera's ev comp value so that the LCD display brightness adjusts proportionally.   I forgot that I did that.  And of course,  that means it affects the "P" mode shots - which fortunately is exactly what you want to have happen.
« Last Edit: 27 / July / 2014, 15:57:22 by waterwingz »

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #106 on: 27 / September / 2014, 13:41:47 »
I love this script.

The attached script version has some small improvement proposals.

- centered help screen
- help text depending on Canon OSD language
- disabling of the CHDK OSD elements when the help screen is shown
- shorter code for chdk_version

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

« Reply #107 on: 27 / September / 2014, 13:47:27 »
The attached script version has some small improvement proposals.
- centered help screen
- help text depending on Canon OSD language
- disabling of the CHDK OSD elements when the help screen is shown
- shorter code for chdk_version
Great additions - thanks! I'll add to the "downloadable" version. 

I'm wondering if it might make sense for the help screen language to come from a separate file - CHDKplus.lng (and default to English if no file exists)?

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #108 on: 27 / September / 2014, 14:03:14 »
If there are multiple language versions, it might make sense. On the other hand it could be user unfriendly, if you have to use more and more files for the script.

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

« Reply #109 on: 04 / October / 2014, 15:13:03 »
Thank you for your great work
I have Ixus 310 (elph500HS) (not best choice but ...)
Script works fine for me.

Just some things. Switching to view mode when script runs, it displays help screen, but in settings are that help are off. This info just for info.

Are there any reason, that I can go up to only 64 sec and not any more?

Can you consider add settings that focus are manually to infinite or auto?

Sorry my bad english