Do I Really Need a Scrpit to do What I Want to Do? - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Do I Really Need a Scrpit to do What I Want to Do?

• 18 Replies
Do I Really Need a Scrpit to do What I Want to Do?
« on: 11 / March / 2014, 11:46:11 »
Advertisements
OK newbie here, you may have read my intro - I'm a Home inspector wanting to control a canon point and shoot from a Drone with a Gimbal and using CHDK.

In doing my research it seems the VP-Systems CamREMOTE 2 (http://vp-systems.eu/camremote.html) would be the way to go, maybe?  I looked at the Gentles Limited site (http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentwire/usb.htm) and did not seem to find what I needed?

I want to use an RC transmitter to control shutter release, zoom, and possibly half shutter to force an auto-focus only, at the moment.  What I am confused about is whether or not I need to write a script to add to my CHDK or a PTP extension, or SDM, or none of them, just CHDK?

In going to the various sites some recommend scrips, some PTP, some SDM.  While I appreciate that someday I may want to step it up in terms of what I want to do, it seems the VP solution with their CamREMOTE 2A with up to 4 RC channels would the way to go?  I think in one of their manual modes I would slide a switch on my RC transmitter to trigger the shutter! another channel to zoom! that's it.

I would turn the camera on when I am ready to launch, starts in CHDK, I go to the USB control mode in CHDK and basically turn camera control over to the RC transmitter! what am I missing?

Thank you for your patience!!

Re: Do I Really Need a Scrpit to do What I Want to Do?
« Reply #1 on: 11 / March / 2014, 12:29:58 »
In doing my research it seems the VP-Systems CamREMOTE 2 (http://vp-systems.eu/camremote.html) would be the way to go, maybe?  I looked at the Gentles Limited site (http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentwire/usb.htm) and did not seem to find what I needed?
I think both site offer hardware options that can meet your needs.  Certainly the gentWIRE-USB2 will do the job.   The CamREMOTE2 is also quite capable (it would be interesting someday to work with them on a chdkptp compatible version ...)

I want to use an RC transmitter to control shutter release, zoom, and possibly half shutter to force an auto-focus only, at the moment. 
So you are not going to try and pan/tilt independently of the UAV?

What I am confused about is whether or not I need to write a script to add to my CHDK or a PTP extension, or SDM, or none of them, just CHDK?
CHDK can be configured to shoot without a script.  Once you need zoom functionality you need to use a script but those exist and are trivial to modify for a specific use.

I would turn the camera on when I am ready to launch, starts in CHDK, I go to the USB control mode in CHDK and basically turn camera control over to the RC transmitter! what am I missing?
You can configure CHDK to load automatically on boot and for the script to also start automatically.  So you just turn on your camera and go.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 11 / March / 2014, 13:47:47 »
Relative to the pan/tilt - the DJI Phantom 2 w/gimbal incorporates the tilt function, which would be controlled from the RC transmitter, and I would need to change position of the Phantom by rotating in place in lieu of panning.

I'll have to look again at the Gentiles site relative to the gentWIRE-USB2.  The ELPH 300 HS has the 11-pin USB that allows me to pull out the video feed separate from the USB control and send it to a FPV transmitter on the drone.  VP-Systems offers such a plug that pulls out the video, but then allows the USB to plug into their CamREMOTE or for that matter the gentWIRE.  It also does not look that difficult to "do it yourself" rather then purchasing this specialized adapter for like $30+ from VP-Systems.

Would you know if its possible to power the camera from the USB port, in lieu of a battery in the camera?  I see where there are Canon battery adapters that would basically replace the battery with a shell that makes contact with the battery terminals within and then connects to an AC/DC transformer.  I was just looking for a way to lower the weight of the camera.  Without the battery its 120 grams and 145 grams w/battery, while the GoPro is like 70 grams.

It would not be difficult to lift the 145 gram Canon with the Phantom 2, and there are several mods to the Phantom to increase lift and flight time but drone operators are always looking for ways to save weight and if I could power the Canon with the Phantom's current battery, that might save me some flight time and make the process less complicated as I'm not recharging both the drone battery and the Canon battery.

« Reply #3 on: 11 / March / 2014, 14:06:32 »
The CamREMOTE2 is also quite capable (it would be interesting someday to work with them on a chdkptp compatible version ...)

We started working  together on an SDM PTP version a long time ago.

As usual, other work took priority (for VP).

We may resume development sometime.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #4 on: 11 / March / 2014, 16:34:08 »
What I am confused about is whether or not I need to write a script to add to my CHDK or a PTP extension, or SDM, or none of them, just CHDK?
Unless you have a PTP host capable computer on the drone, you can eliminate PTP from the list.

This means camera control will be using USB remote functionality: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/USB_Shutter_Remote which should be possible using CAMremote, Gentles, or a home brew system. As waterwingz says, you will probably need some kind of script.

CAMRemote is host capable, but it does not support the CHDK PTP extension. It can still be used with CHDK cameras in "USB remote" mode.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #5 on: 11 / March / 2014, 16:49:16 »
OK I'll go back and look at the gentles products and start reading up on scripting.  I did see some sample scripts already done so it looks like, worst case, its a matter of editing an existing script.

Why are some sites suggesting SDM instead of CHDK as SDM is more towards simpler camera functions versus CHDK?  I looked a little bit at SDM but that looks like its more for syncing two cameras, not just controlling one?

« Reply #6 on: 11 / March / 2014, 18:09:17 »
I looked a little bit at SDM but that looks like its more for syncing two cameras, not just controlling one?

Not really, but that is another story.

Stick with CHDK, you will get more support (and I develop SDM).

Offline JvdP

« Reply #7 on: 11 / March / 2014, 18:38:34 »
This is really interesting stuff here! Hope to get as far as you one day, so keep us updated so I can find this post in the future when I become awesome and have a drone rigged....  ::)  :P

« Reply #8 on: 11 / March / 2014, 19:23:40 »
OK I'll go back and look at the gentles products and start reading up on scripting.  I did see some sample scripts already done so it looks like, worst case, its a matter of editing an existing script.
If you need a little help just let us know.  Sometimes a little turns into a lot (ask me about that sometime) but that's okay too.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #9 on: 19 / December / 2014, 12:56:48 »
OK it's been awhile but I'm getting closer.  I've decided the DJI Phantom 2 was not going to work for me and purchased the DJI F550 hex-copter that is a more stable AV platform and can carry a higher payload.

I also think the Gentles connectors are the way to go using CHDK.  They offer a single RC channel with a special 11-pin connector for the Canon camera that has video out that I can connect to my 5.8mHz Tx/Rx video system and view what the camera sees from a ground monitor.

I have spent the last few days reading the CHDK user manual and notice using the USB Remote, specifically the Zoom Control Mode that it appears I can do what I want without using a script and a single RC channel by sending various pulse strings to CHDK, what am I missing?