Extra Intervalometer feature - page 2 - Script Writing - CHDK Forum

Extra Intervalometer feature

• 68 Replies
Re: Extra Intervalometer feature
« Reply #10 on: 28 / March / 2014, 07:47:18 »
Advertisements
Is the CHDK for post edit use and the Canon done in camera?   
Yes.

RAW has to be enabled for dark frame to work, correct?
No - it does not need to be enabled.  But people doing post processing seem to prefer it as it leaves them more options.  I'd suggest enabling the DNG feature if  you are going to use RAW - same image data but better compatibility with more software packages.

On a side note, my camera isn't stellar at low light, is there a better model I could consider that's inexpensive?  Some have mentioned models ending in HS having better low light capability.
I don't know.  You might post the question in the forum thread for meteor.lua?  Or on one of the star trails web sites ?

I gotta find the sweet spot for using lower ISO on my camera.  More grain/noise than I would like in night pics. 
I'm going to add a script parameter to allow setting the ISO value (and aperture for camera's that support it) prior to releasing v2 of the script.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
    • Planetary astrophotography
« Reply #11 on: 28 / March / 2014, 11:08:26 »
On a side note, my camera isn't stellar at low light, is there a better model I could consider that's inexpensive?  Some have mentioned models ending in HS having better low light capability.
Cameras marked as HS used BSI sensor technology, which provides an image with less noise because it uses a smaller gain compared to conventional CCD sensors. For startrails your camera is also good, but do not overdo it with the length of exposure, and ISO values.

« Reply #12 on: 28 / March / 2014, 14:02:36 »
I'm looking into acquiring a Canon Powershot ELPH 320 HS.  I can likely get one for less that $100.

Is that a sound idea?

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
    • Planetary astrophotography
« Reply #13 on: 28 / March / 2014, 16:01:59 »
The best is what is being used.
Exploit the full potential of camera which you have, learn all about editing photos,framing and then decide what you need.Even with the best camera you will not get good results without a lot of practical work, for it does not need a better camera than you have.
Buying camera just because you read it is better than others makes no sense,at the end the decision is yours, this is just my opinion.

« Reply #14 on: 28 / March / 2014, 17:30:49 »
The best is what is being used.
Exploit the full potential of camera which you have, learn all about editing photos,framing and then decide what you need.Even with the best camera you will not get good results without a lot of practical work, for it does not need a better camera than you have.
Buying camera just because you read it is better than others makes no sense,at the end the decision is yours, this is just my opinion.

I understand what your saying.  The only reason I'm looking towards the other camera is the superior ISO/low light ability.  With so many dark shots that I intend/have made it would be very advantageous.  My night shots are extremely noisy.  In the mean time I will continue to chug along with my A4000.  For daylight it works just fine.
« Last Edit: 28 / March / 2014, 18:21:31 by El Pistoffo »

« Reply #15 on: 29 / March / 2014, 11:53:07 »
meteor2.lua updated - new features include full manual control of all exposure parameters ( Tv, Sv, Av, ND filter).

https://app.box.com/s/9t0b45z3ugamkz08s0gk

« Reply #16 on: 29 / March / 2014, 13:06:51 »
meteor2.lua updated - new features include full manual control of all exposure parameters ( Tv, Sv, Av, ND filter).

https://app.box.com/s/9t0b45z3ugamkz08s0gk

Thanks for the updated script.

I did a quick test of the Focus @ Infinity feature placing the camera within about 8-10 inches from an object.  I used both AFL and MF settings but the object is within focus.  Infinite focus not working with my model?  I'm using CHDK 1.3.0

Hope to put it to real use when the skies clear up.
« Last Edit: 29 / March / 2014, 14:28:32 by El Pistoffo »

« Reply #17 on: 29 / March / 2014, 14:32:43 »
I used both AFL and MF settings but the object is within focus.  Infinite focus not working with my model? 
Seems to be a problem with more than just your model.  I don't know why it's not working but I'm really beginning to regret ever having started to look at the whole SD override problem.  With my A1200 it usually locks focus at infinity but sometimes it doesn't.  I've posted about this elsewhere.

I'll post if I figure something out. Meanwhile,  the script has been updated to display the actual focus value used for each shot (same URL as above).
« Last Edit: 29 / March / 2014, 14:47:57 by waterwingz »

« Reply #18 on: 29 / March / 2014, 15:21:14 »
Hey don't sweat it.  I appreciate the help and you did a great job customizing the script. :D  Maybe all the more reason to change camera models.  I may get a used ELPH 300 HS on the cheap in the next few days.  You think it might be more successful then?

BTW, which selection should I use with infinite focus, AFL or MS?

« Reply #19 on: 29 / March / 2014, 17:49:21 »
Hey don't sweat it.  I appreciate the help and you did a great job customizing the script.
Thanks, but my comment was about something that was a lot more worh than a few changes to a script .. http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=11078.0

Maybe all the more reason to change camera models.  I may get a used ELPH 300 HS on the cheap in the next few days.  You think it might be more successful then?
At this point, I don't know.

BTW, which selection should I use with infinite focus, AFL or MF?
Try MF a couple of times with the latest script?  Power cycle the camera between runs and see what the reported focus setting is for a couple of shots?