Offline koshy

Re: Powershot N Porting Thread
« Reply #20 on: 06 / August / 2014, 07:56:30 »
Advertisements
Hi, I was trying to get this to work...

- I put n-100a-1.3.0-3573-full_BETA onto a micro SD card
- I set the boot flag
- I left the card door open

PS N's power button LED flickers three times and then the cam seems to crash.
No matter if I use the power or play button. Battery out to try again but to no avail.

I think I have the right FW (100A) but I'm attaching an exif dump from a regular JPEG to check.
Koshy had a little ELPH which wasn't white as snow but everywhere that Koshy went the ELPH was sure to go. (actually an SD, but that detail ruins the rhyme...)

« Reply #21 on: 06 / August / 2014, 09:16:01 »
I have not confirmed that the version from the autobuild actually works but I'll check later today. The blinking LED pattern tells us it is at least getting through the boot loader. 

Did you try using ACID to check your firmware version?

Also, did you try the firmware update method?

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline koshy

« Reply #22 on: 06 / August / 2014, 09:39:05 »
Did you try using ACID to check your firmware version?
Yes. ACID says:
Canon PowerShot N
100a

But since it analyzes the meta data I attached a dump of that to the previous message for manual inspection.

Also, did you try the firmware update method?
Not when I wrote the first post but now I tried it. It says "Update File Error!!!"
Koshy had a little ELPH which wasn't white as snow but everywhere that Koshy went the ELPH was sure to go. (actually an SD, but that detail ruins the rhyme...)

« Reply #23 on: 06 / August / 2014, 14:34:05 »

- I set the boot flag
By the way, what did you mean by this?  You have to write the boot disk string to the SD block card boot block not just set a bit.

Offline koshy

« Reply #24 on: 06 / August / 2014, 15:56:22 »
- I set the boot flag
By the way, what did you mean by this?
I meant that I had EOScard.exe do whatever it takes to make the card bootable.
I used it an another camera with an adapter to test that the micro SD card really is bootable, too.

Offline koshy

« Reply #25 on: 06 / August / 2014, 16:12:19 »
Oh my, I think I was careless enough to get the wrong camera after all.
I happen to have a PowerShot N Facebook ready edition on my hands.

[...] has a dedicated Facebook connect button in the place of the connect-to-device one on the standard N. Once the camera has been taught your login details, you can upload images with a choice of who gets to see them, once posted.

That was a later release and while it reports Canon PowerShot N 100a on ACID they must have done something to the FW to make the FB stuff happen. Just great. So how do I dump the FW of this thing? I just tried udumper dryos and udumper new dryos but didn't get anything. Seemed I couldn't turn the cam on in play mode with that on the card. The cards were made by cardtricks so they should work...

« Reply #26 on: 06 / August / 2014, 16:31:19 »
I would not trust Cardtricks any longer. It's pretty old and does not understand cards bigger than 4G.

I was able to dump the stock N using current Canon BASIC dumper.  Just be aware that the text on the screen might be the same color as the background so check the SD card for the primary.bin file even if there is nothing on the screen.

I wondered if anyone would get the Facebook version someday. I'm guessing it should be a simple port from the stock N - hacking the touch interface took me weeks but I expect that to be the same on both models.
« Last Edit: 06 / August / 2014, 16:39:46 by waterwingz »

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #27 on: 06 / August / 2014, 16:33:24 »
Oh my, I think I was careless enough to get the wrong camera after all.
I happen to have a PowerShot N Facebook ready edition on my hands.
BTW ..  added it to the platform & loader directories as powershot_n in my build.   Just calling it "N" seems kinda weird.  Especially as there is now a "Facebook N" model - which we should just decide to ban on principal  I think.
:)
So how do I dump the FW of this thing? I just tried udumper dryos and udumper new dryos but didn't get anything. Seemed I couldn't turn the cam on in play mode with that on the card. The cards were made by cardtricks so they should work...
cardtricks and the old udumpers are obsolete. You can use http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Canon_Basic/Scripts/Dumper to dump the firmware.

Offline koshy

« Reply #28 on: 06 / August / 2014, 17:18:38 »
I wondered if anyone would get the Facebook version someday. I'm guessing it should be a simple port from the stock N - hacking the touch interface took me weeks but I expect that to be the same on both models.
Thanks for the tips. I posted the FW here. I did use the Canon BASIC dumper which gave a nice red text output on the cam.

« Reply #29 on: 11 / August / 2014, 21:16:32 »
Thanks for the tips. I posted the FW here. I did use the Canon BASIC dumper which gave a nice red text output on the cam.
Blind port here :  n_facebook-100a-1.3.0-3578-full.zip

Not sure how far this will get you but I hope you are up for an attempt ( or five ).  The only thing I was not able to port were the x & y touch positions  - I found those memory searching in the Powershot N.  With luck they will be the same in the FBook edition. If not, I'll have to do some assembly code diving.