New Powershot D30 - page 5 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

New Powershot D30

• 72 Replies
Re: New Powershot D30 - CHDKPTP TEST now successful
« Reply #40 on: 16 / September / 2014, 11:26:53 »
Advertisements
Hi nafraf
Hi All

Today I had the chance to test the latest beta release for the D30 regarding the problem with chdkptp.
Now chdkptp works fine!
I was able to activate Viewfinder in all variations, use all buttons (left,right,up,down, menu etc.) successful. Recording images works as well as shooting video. Play function to review images or videos works fine.

Only one small issue that I observed:  when recording video the chdkptp-live-viewfinder stream frequently flickers between a normal image and a distorted (streched vertically) view aspect. Despite that visible flaw the recorded video is ok and when pressing the "play"-button in chdkptp and reviewing the video it is displayed without distortions or flickering in the chdkptp-window.

Do you need any further tests of chdkptp?
« Last Edit: 16 / September / 2014, 11:28:36 by miti.ranieri »

Offline nafraf

Re: New Powershot D30
« Reply #41 on: 16 / September / 2014, 17:17:46 »
Thanks. The latest beta release uses srsa_4c suggestion.

Do you need any further tests of chdkptp?
Please test remote capture.  Connect to chdkptp, go to User tab, and test JPEG and DNG capture.

If you prefer to use command line:
rs -jpg /destination_dir
rs -dng /destination_dir

« Reply #42 on: 17 / September / 2014, 00:53:10 »
Can you please advise where I can download beta to test - sorry if it's obvious - it's not to me!
I realise there are older links but don't want to test old load.
Thanks

« Reply #43 on: 17 / September / 2014, 07:12:29 »
Please test remote capture.  Connect to chdkptp, go to User tab, and test JPEG and DNG capture.

If you prefer to use command line:
rs -jpg /destination_dir
rs -dng /destination_dir

Hi nafraf,

remote capture works perfectly:
1. I set destination by clicking first button
2. tried JPG and DNG shot - both were taken
3. checked the images - both were existing on the configured path on my pc (and are not on the sdcard - as expected)

Minor issue:  I use DNG version 1.1 to successfully avoid bad pixels in my DNG images and configured CHDK on the D30 to make DNG shots in version 1.1. With remote capture the DNG seems to be version 1.3 as I can see the bad pixels in the DNG file. CHDKPTP GUI doesn't seem to have a possibility to configure that option and "help rs" didn' show a command line option for another DNG version.

But as mentioned above remote capture works!

Any other tests?

@melb: testing is almost thru, I guess nafraf will soon release CHDK for the D30 in a final version. Testbuilds are provided by personal messages not in the thread here.
« Last Edit: 17 / September / 2014, 17:01:33 by miti.ranieri »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #44 on: 17 / September / 2014, 23:49:40 »
With remote capture the DNG seems to be version 1.3 as I can see the bad pixels in the DNG file. CHDKPTP GUI doesn't seem to have a possibility to configure that option and "help rs" didn' show a command line option for another DNG version.
You should be able to fix badpixels with the -badpix option in the CLI. This doesn't change the DNG version, but it does approximately the same thing the CHDK DNG 1.1 code would do.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #45 on: 18 / September / 2014, 03:09:54 »
You should be able to fix badpixels with the -badpix option in the CLI. This doesn't change the DNG version, but it does approximately the same thing the CHDK DNG 1.1 code would do.

Thank you reyalp! Tested that - you are right!
Now I got a perfect DNG without bad pixels by using the following command:

rs -dng -badpix D:\

By the way ... can I get the same result when using CHDK on the D30? Being a newbie to CHDK the only way to get DNGs without badpixels was to select DNG version 1.1
I don't know wether it is an advantage to use DNG version 1.3 or not. But with version 1.3 I was not able to get DNGs without bad pixels up to now.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #46 on: 18 / September / 2014, 23:07:25 »
By the way ... can I get the same result when using CHDK on the D30?
Only by using 1.1.  You can use chdkptp to do the same thing to DNG 1.3 files, without using remoteshoot
https://www.assembla.com/spaces/chdkptp/wiki/DNG_Processing

I don't know wether it is an advantage to use DNG version 1.3 or not.
Only that it uses less memory on the camera, doesn't require you to create badpixel.bin, and is very slightly quicker. 

Why is it like this?
In  DNG 1.1, the spec requires that any bad pixels must be fixed in the raw data. To do this, CHDK makes a list (badpixel.bin) and interpolates over them. The list is needed because scanning over the whole raw would be extremely slow, but it can require a significant amount of RAM.
In DNG 1.3, the spec allows the you to just specify what values are bad, so we can in theory say that pixels with value 0 are bad, and the raw software will handle them. In reality though, most non-adobe programs don't support this feature.

chdkptp just interpolates over the bad values like CHDK would for DNG 1.1. Since PCs are much faster than the cameras, scanning the entire file is not a problem.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #47 on: 19 / September / 2014, 02:01:02 »
Thank you for the explanation, reyalp!
Things are becoming clearer to me now.

« Reply #48 on: 20 / September / 2014, 09:25:20 »
Hi nafraf and all other CHDK hackers!

Thank you for creating such a great software and for your effort to adapt it for the D30.
I told nafraf I had the chance to make use of it during my holidays at the red sea in egypt a few weeks ago.
To thank you here's a little gallery of some images I took:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54407735

We - users of the D30 - are looking forward to the official release of CHDK for this camera.

Thanks!

Offline Mbr

« Reply #49 on: 25 / September / 2014, 09:34:20 »
I'm considering buying the D30.  Where can I find the latest test version of CHDK for it, if I do?

Edit: Actually, let me rephrase that.  If someone sends me a test build of CHDK, I will go out and buy the D30.  I will gladly help test it in any way I can, but I don't really know what I'm doing.  BUT, if I'm sort of useless because I don't know what I'm doing, and therefore I can't get access to a copy of the beta CHDK, then I will buy something else, because the ability to shoot RAW on an upcoming trip is the real reason I want the D30.
« Last Edit: 30 / September / 2014, 06:46:23 by Mbr »