A800 Stops as if power unplugged with Ultimate Intervalometer - page 3 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum  

A800 Stops as if power unplugged with Ultimate Intervalometer

• 33 Replies

Offline srsa_4c

Re: A800 Stops as if power unplugged with Ultimate Intervalometer
« Reply #20 on: 18 / May / 2014, 09:07:30 »
Advertisements
ASSERT!! DriverIC.c Line 48
Occured Time  2014:05:13 10:06:07
ASSERT!! DriverIC.c Line 48
Occured Time  2014:05:13 10:06:07
Your two logs are actually only one log, and it's not recent. That means, whatever is causing the symptoms, the camera fails to record a newer romlog at the time of crash/poweroff.

« Reply #21 on: 18 / May / 2014, 09:22:09 »
I did a quick scroll through this thread but did not see the version of CHDK you are using.  It would be good to know the release number & version ( e.g.  1.3.0 or 1.2.0,   release 3343 ).
In addition to an update on what CHDK version you are using, can you summarize where "we" are now?

Originally this seemed to be related to the script going from day to night mode.  Then is seemed to be when the zoom lens moved.  It was only the A800 but then later maybe the A1300?  Power connections and battery types were mentioned?  Were similar or different test conditions used for each problem mentioned?

Edit : What Display Blanking mode are you using?  Does this happen if the script zoom position is set to 0? Can you enable logging to SDcard (or "both") in the script and attach the log file to a post in this forum (no need to cut and paste the whole thing into your message  ;) )
« Last Edit: 18 / May / 2014, 09:29:08 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #22 on: 18 / May / 2014, 10:59:46 »
using version 1.3.0 build 3440.

I am satisfied that battery terminals are not the issue as i have a direct connection made to the camera PCB bypassing battery terminals.

The A1300 was the only other camera i could force to crash when setting a zoom leve greater than 0 but only if using cheap non branded batteries. (i dont think the A1300 is relevant any more as it it always works with good batts or external psu, it does not fail if psu is good.

i have the script set to save to sd card, but as the camera completely powers off dead it does not log anything.

Orig problem was that camera crashed apparently at dusk (checked from last picture taken before crash)
I found however that i could make camera crash always, by setting a zoom of 3 or more in the script. Script would run, it would adjust the zoom, then a second later as it was adjusting the focus it turned off dead in an instant. Setting Zoom to 0 the camera does not crash (apart from today when it simply got stuck and the script halted....I think this is a red herring). Setting zoom to 1 or 2 and the camera then runs ok all day,  but crashes at dusk.

This is why i deviated and investigated power connections.

« Reply #23 on: 18 / May / 2014, 11:05:08 »
I am using Bklite as dispkey does not work with this camera.

« Reply #24 on: 18 / May / 2014, 11:23:08 »
using version 1.3.0 build 3440.
Good enough !

I am satisfied that battery terminals are not the issue as i have a direct connection made to the camera PCB bypassing battery terminals.
That pretty much does it for battery terminals then.

The A1300 was the only other camera i could force to crash when setting a zoom leve greater than 0 but only if using cheap non branded batteries. (i dont think the A1300 is relevant any more as it it always works with good batts or external psu, it does not fail if psu is good.
Okay - back to the A800 only.

i have the script set to save to sd card, but as the camera completely powers off dead it does not log anything.
That does not seem right.  The logging function opens & closes the log file ( A/ultimate.log ) each time it writes. What you see on the LCD console log should also be in the file.

Orig problem was that camera crashed apparently at dusk (checked from last picture taken before crash)
FWIW : I don't believe the transition from Day to Night updates the zoom position. However, if the Display blanking mode is set to PlayKey then the zoom position is updated each time the camera comes out of playback mode in order to shoot.

I found however that i could make camera crash always, by setting a zoom of 3 or more in the script. Script would run, it would adjust the zoom, then a second later as it was adjusting the focus it turned off dead in an instant.  Setting Zoom to 0 the camera does not crash (apart from today when it simply got stuck and the script halted....I think this is a red herring). Setting zoom to 1 or 2 and the camera then runs ok all day,  but crashes at dusk.
For reference,  the ultimate.lua script does not use any focus related commands (i.e. no set_aflock(1), set_mf(), set_focus() etc) .   The focus that stagdriver refers to here happens with the first half-press in the check_exposure() function.  If there are problems with get_shooting() not returning true / false correctly on the shoot_half press / release then it's possible the script could "hang" at that point.

And the actual zoom code has a generous helping of sleep() applied around the actual set_zoom() command.
Code: [Select]
function update_zoom()
   if ( zoom_setpoint > 0 ) then
       zsteps=get_zoom_steps()
       if(zoom_setpoint>zsteps) then zoom_setpoint=zsteps end
       printf("set zoom to step %d of %d",zoom_setpoint,zsteps)
       sleep(2000)
       set_zoom(zoom_setpoint)
       sleep(2000)
    end
end

This is why i deviated and investigated power connections.
Understood - it was certainly worth a look.

Update : if this is just a zoom problem with the A800 it would not be the first time we have seen zoom issues.  From one of my old threads / posts here's a test script you can try : http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=7071.msg76172#msg76172
« Last Edit: 18 / May / 2014, 11:33:11 by waterwingz »

« Reply #25 on: 18 / May / 2014, 11:50:33 »
The stand alone zoom script you have linked me to is going to be very useful as i have been trying to do this myself in order that i may record some power levels.

As this camera otherwise works it can become a general jobbing camera, but i will persevere with finding a root cause and post any results in case it helps others.

many thanks Waterwingz

« Reply #26 on: 18 / May / 2014, 12:21:20 »
The stand alone zoom script you have linked me to is going to be very useful as i have been trying to do this myself in order that i may record some power levels.
I cut the ultimate.lua script down to just the update_zoom() and check_exposure() functions and looped them. Every four iteration is actually takes a shot as well.

Let this run for a bit and see what it does ?

« Reply #27 on: 18 / May / 2014, 13:39:45 »
Well this is quite definitive. Most of the time it sets ok to Zoom 2 of 7 (irrespective of whether lens was in or out to start with, powers off about 1 in 10 times.
But when in the process of zooming 7 of 7 always loses power.

« Reply #28 on: 18 / May / 2014, 13:53:49 »
Well this is quite definitive. Most of the time it sets ok to Zoom 2 of 7 (irrespective of whether lens was in or out to start with, powers off about 1 in 10 times.
But when in the process of zooming 7 of 7 always loses power.
Does it do so when zooming or when it tries to focus? 

Attached is a version of the script with longer delays between zooming and setting focus?  See if that helps?

Edit : can you go to the debug menu and see if you can create a new ROMLOG ?  If so, please attach it here.
« Last Edit: 18 / May / 2014, 13:58:06 by waterwingz »

« Reply #29 on: 18 / May / 2014, 15:03:56 »
With zoomer 2 its easy to see that is crashes at the end of the 7 of 7 zoom.