A800 Stops as if power unplugged with Ultimate Intervalometer - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

A800 Stops as if power unplugged with Ultimate Intervalometer

• 33 Replies
Advertisements
Hi all, hoping someone may have seen this before.
I have A800 running Ultimate Intervalometer that runs and operates fine until it reaches end of day (as set by geographical location, ucs and running dawn to dusk.
It simply stops on reaching dusk with lens still extended and totally powers off.
As a test i have altered the usc by 1 hour later and the camera shuts down 1 hour later too.
I have set chdk to record crash log but in every case nothing is recorded.
I am going to Misc Stuff, Debug Parameters, Save Rom crash log and i get an ok but does not record so i cannot post any logs here. (is my procedure correct for crash log?)

My PSU is tried and tested, (tried several) , all heavy gauge wires psu both ac types and regulator types all capable of 3 amps some even to 10 amps, battery powered 240 Ah), mains etc.
Totally convinced not a Psu issue but more something to do with the camera itself.

I will try tonight running from new AA batteries about 5 minutes before estimated shut down to see what happens.

All my other cameras are totally reliable, it's just this one. So any tips before i give it to my neighbors kids would be appreciated especially regarding the non recording of crash log.

??? does the lens try to retract at dusk, i have not noticed as yet???
Cheers.

Re: A800 Stops as if power unplugged with Ultimate Intervalometer
« Reply #1 on: 12 / May / 2014, 08:53:00 »
I have A800 running Ultimate Intervalometer that runs and operates fine until it reaches end of day (as set by geographical location, ucs and running dawn to dusk. It simply stops on reaching dusk with lens still extended and totally powers off.
As there is no ROMLOG, it sounds more like something the script itself is doing wrong.

And IIRC,  the A800 is very short of RAM so that might confound the problem.

All my other cameras are totally reliable, it's just this one. So any tips before i give it to my neighbors kids would be appreciated especially regarding the non recording of crash log.
Have you run the Ultimate Intervalometer successfully using the same settings (especially end of day shutdown) on any of your other cameras and does it work?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline nafraf

« Reply #2 on: 12 / May / 2014, 09:52:26 »
And IIRC,  the A800 is very short of RAM so that might confound the problem.
We can try to load CHDK in ARAM.

@stagdriver What is the firmware version of your camera?

« Last Edit: 12 / May / 2014, 10:03:05 by nafraf »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 12 / May / 2014, 15:47:15 »
I am going to Misc Stuff, Debug Parameters, Save Rom crash log and i get an ok but does not record so i cannot post any logs here. (is my procedure correct for crash log?)
When you do this, a file called ROMLOG.LOG should be saved on the root of the SD card. This is a copy of the last crash recorded by the Camera on it's internal flash. The only case you don't get a ROMLOG.LOG should be if there are no crashes recorded.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #4 on: 12 / May / 2014, 16:48:09 »
Thank-you all for your advice, sorry for the delay in responding, been at work.

Waterwingz, yes i have run (am currently running exact same settings on A470. A530, A550, A810, A1200, A1300, A2300, A2400 and A4000. The only difference is the zoom factor. All have been good as gold some running for several (6) weeks now.

Nafraf, the camera firmware version is 100c.

Realp, have double checked and no Romlog recorded, its definitely as if the power plug is pulled.

Everything i have read about this particular camera suggests a bargain basement cut down to the bone so it may just be running on the ragged edge.

New info. I have been playing with this camera at lunch and i notice when using Ultimate Intervalometer that if a larger zoom setting is made say 3 or higher this camera goes through the start up procedure and sets the zoom then goes dead at the point where it should focus immediately after adjusting the zoom.

If setting the zoom to 1 or 2 it sometimes crashes, up to 1 in 5 times during start up.

By setting the zoom to '0' it achieves focus and proceeds to focus and run the script  ok, i am going to run it with '0' zoom and otherwise identical settings to see if it restarts taking pictures at dawn. (seem to remember on my original tests i run for a few days with '0' zoom.

I have just tried larger zoom numbers with A1200, A1300, A470 and they work fine.

It may be possible I have a poorly camera here and something is shorting momentarily as the focus motor is adjusting along with the higher zooms as it has to generally move to a significantly different position when zoomed. ( But then it does not do this when in normal camera mode and setting zoom then gaining focus with 1/2 shutter press).
Confused, but intrigued to find the cause.

« Reply #5 on: 12 / May / 2014, 17:37:02 »
Could still be memory. We could try a loader script here to free up some memory if you would like to try that?

Offline nafraf

« Reply #6 on: 12 / May / 2014, 18:13:53 »
Test version A800 100c:
- Simpler loader
- CHDK loaded in ARAM
- movie_rec.c rewritten using code_gen
- Fix TurnOnMic/TurnOffMic function addresses
- #define CAM_MISSING_RAND   1

« Reply #7 on: 12 / May / 2014, 18:42:05 »
Waterwingz, i suspect a memory problem too, I would like to test this as i think there's something to be learnt from this excercise.

Nafraf, looking at the patch i'm thinking you have produced what Waterwingz has suggested. I will get this on test in the morning and report back

Thanks Guys.

« Reply #8 on: 12 / May / 2014, 18:49:15 »
What nafraf had done is different than what I proposed.  A script loader lets you load a script such that it used a lot less memory. I'll post something later tonight.

« Reply #9 on: 12 / May / 2014, 23:05:35 »
Okay - attached here is a "loader" script for the ultimate intervalometer.  Put this in the same directory as the ultimate.lua file and load / run it just like you would any other script.  I should save enough memory to eliminate that as a possible source of your mysterious shut  downs.