S95, S90 alt button - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

S95, S90 alt button

• 10 Replies
S95, S90 alt button
« on: 11 / May / 2014, 17:37:59 »
Advertisements
Stagdriver, and others; can a different button (e.g. Ring Func on top of the camera) be used to enter the ALT mode on my S95 as well?

Currently I use the Shortcut button as is the default. According to http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ (section: Q. What are the key settings and shortcuts?) it should be possible for the S-series. I like to use a different button because in my Canon underwater house the Shortcut button seems to be non-functional below 10 meters.

Re: S95, S90 alt button
« Reply #1 on: 11 / May / 2014, 18:39:37 »
Stagdriver, and others; can a different button (e.g. Ring Func on top of the camera) be used to enter the ALT mode on my S95 as well?
Alternate ALT button selection is not enabled on the S95  (or the S90 for that matter).   There is probably no reason why not, other than the fact that the option was not available when the port was completed and nobody went back to add it.

It looks like the Ring Func button in identified in the key map for the S90.  No telling if its right or not.

I could make you a test build if you'd like to try it?  Just need to know what f/w version you have.
« Last Edit: 12 / May / 2014, 08:37:39 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 12 / May / 2014, 05:39:25 »
Cool, my Firmware is listed as 100h. I currently have CHDK 1.0.0.1530 of 2012-01-06.

I would be very interested in having that Ring Func. button work to enter into ALT mode. There are very few buttons on this device and I think it’s the one that makes the most sense. I never use the Ring Func. button now and it has a port thru my underwater house for diving.

Cheers, Jurgen

« Reply #3 on: 12 / May / 2014, 09:05:08 »
Cool, my Firmware is listed as 100h. I currently have CHDK 1.0.0.1530 of 2012-01-06.
download link > S95 1.00H

If it worked,  there should be a new menu item that says  <ALT>Mode Button near the bottom of the CHDK Settings menu.   Options are "Print", "Play", "Disp", "RingFunc".   

Please check them all? Note :  I forgot the Shortcut / Print button - I'll add if this works.- fixed
« Last Edit: 12 / May / 2014, 09:57:31 by waterwingz »

« Reply #4 on: 12 / May / 2014, 16:22:46 »
Cool, I found the Print (default), Play, Disp, RingFun values in the menu as you described.

The Play button for access to the ALT mode fails for me as it will enter into play mode no matter how short I press it. I then had to reinstall CHDK ;-)
The Display button is real useful during review so I don't want to use it for ALT access either; it works during testing no problemo.

The great news is that the RingFun is working very well in practise. I will try it out underwater tomorrow evening in the pool just to make sure my underwaterhouse is not screwing up this thru-port as well.

Since my request is based on an exceptional use case I wondered if it would be worthwhile to have this functionality in the stable release at some point for the S95. I guess it does fit the mindset of CHDK to add it.

Thanks a bunch waterwingz!

« Reply #5 on: 12 / May / 2014, 23:21:24 »
Cool, I found the Print (default), Play, Disp, RingFun values in the menu as you described.
Great !

The Play button for access to the ALT mode fails for me as it will enter into play mode no matter how short I press it. I then had to reinstall CHDK ;-)
A short press is supposed to do the ALT function.  When you press & hold for more than about a second, you will get the original function.  If this does not work for the Play button, can you confirm it works when the <ALT> button is assigned to Disp, RingFunc or Print ?

The Display button is real useful during review so I don't want to use it for ALT access either; it works during testing no problem.
See my previous comment.

Since my request is based on an exceptional use case I wondered if it would be worthwhile to have this functionality in the stable release at some point for the S95. I guess it does fit the mindset of CHDK to add it.
Yea .. I'll post a patch once we have this all sorted.
« Last Edit: 12 / May / 2014, 23:26:39 by waterwingz »

« Reply #6 on: 13 / May / 2014, 04:17:04 »
>When you press & hold for more than about a second, you will get the original function.  If this does not work for the Play button, can you confirm it works when the <ALT> button is assigned to Disp, RingFunc or Print ?

Play: as mentioned above no way to get it into <ALT>. Tried again and again had to reinstall CHDK. Probably best to take out at some point.

Print: works best for all but my use case where my underwater (UW) house for the camera is probably pressing the button under pressure. Anyway, the button when selected for the <ALT> function works great. Short press for <ALT>, longer press for any shortcut it can be set to by the default Canon system.

RingFunc: works great during playback. It also works fine in live mode in the automatic (Auto) mode because the RingFunc button has no function there. However in Manual (M; but also Av, Tv, and P) modes the RingFunc button will perform it’s default action in addition to entering the <ALT> mode.  No matter how short I press the button, this will happen. To be clear it will go into a selection menu for the Ring Function and it will enter <ALT> mode at the same time. I can somewhat work around this by a full shutter press but it’s clearly not desirable.

Disp.: works really well in live mode where this button has no default function. And then in Play mode, this button listens well to the “about a second” rule. When briefly pressed, it goes in and out of <ALT> reliably and when pressed for about a second it gives the original functionality. Great, this functionality gives me a perfect work around for the bad port of the Print button in my UW house.

Thanks again and let me know if more testing is needed.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #7 on: 13 / May / 2014, 17:26:16 »
Play: as mentioned above no way to get it into <ALT>. Tried again and again had to reinstall CHDK. Probably best to take out at some point.
Most likely the key mask or the index for the play key is not correct and this should be trivial to fix.

FWIW, you don't have to re-install CHDK in this case, you can just delete the .CFG files from the CHDK directory using a card reader.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #8 on: 13 / May / 2014, 18:33:56 »
Most likely the key mask or the index for the play key is not correct and this should be trivial to fix..
Nafraf sent me a PM suggesting the same thing.  Have not had time to look - I'll update the patch tonight.

« Reply #9 on: 14 / May / 2014, 02:04:02 »
Thanks again and let me know if more testing is needed.

Install file updated. Link> S95 1.00H

Please retest using the RingFunc and Playback buttons as the <ALT> key.

Also attached here is a patch file that implements this for the S90 & S95.  It would be nice to get a tester for the S90 version

Edit :  patch file updated
« Last Edit: 16 / May / 2014, 00:33:04 by waterwingz »