S2IS - High Speed Shutter Question - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

S2IS - High Speed Shutter Question

• 6 Replies
S2IS - High Speed Shutter Question
« on: 22 / April / 2008, 00:43:52 »
Advertisements
Holy smokes, some of you guys on these threads are just so frickin smart.  I have a very basic question that will probably bore you...

I'm trying to take some high speed photos.  So I set the override shutter speed to 1/100k and the value factor to 1.  Enum type = Ev Step.  I haven't changed anything else.  Then I toggle out of the <alt> mode so I can start taking photos. 

In the top left part of the screen it reads TV:1/100k.  But when I push the shutter half way down, the bottom of the screen reads 1/3200 for the shutter speed.  I'm assuming this is because this is the highest speed the camera can normally do and it doesn't have the internal software to read 1/100k.  Or am I doing something wrong? 

When I review the properties of the photo after it's been taken, it lists a shutter speed of 1/3200.  Is there any way to tell what the actual shutter speed it took the photo at?

thanks

Re: S2IS - High Speed Shutter Question
« Reply #1 on: 22 / April / 2008, 01:35:46 »
You are doing right. There is no way to tell the shutter speed from exif info. If you are an expert you read the histogram and judge yourself.

« Reply #2 on: 22 / April / 2008, 02:25:56 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 18:37:16 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

« Reply #3 on: 22 / April / 2008, 08:24:52 »
Yes you are right. I missed the point. I was thinking of ISO override.

By the way CHDK to EXIF seems to have a bug or I may say that it does not have a check. If by mistake you run the utility twice in the same folder, you get garbage ISO data recorded. (ISO 80 records as ISO 800)

« Reply #4 on: 22 / April / 2008, 18:36:58 »
Deleted
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

« Reply #5 on: 23 / April / 2008, 10:40:29 »
So now I'm confused about the "deleted" comments.  Should I ignore those replies because they're incorrect and wait for a different response?

Offline wontolla

• S3 & G9 & A720
« Reply #6 on: 23 / April / 2008, 12:28:16 »

I'm assuming this is because this is the highest speed the camera can normally do and it doesn't have the internal software to read 1/100k.
You are right.

And when you review the EXIF data in your computer it still shows 1/3200 because the "real" value is not recorded in the standard tag but in a tag called "Maker notes" which some EXIF readers can't retrive.

If you want it to be displayed in your prefered pictures management software you can use a program called exiftool: ExifTool by Phil Harvey Copy the information from the Maker notes to the correspondig EXIF tag with the following command:

Code: (dos) [Select]
exiftool -overwrite_original -exif:ExposureTime<MakerNotes:ExposureTime
Or for the ISO:

exiftool -overwrite_original -exif:iso<iso
If you want to do it automatically for every picture you can create a BAT file (in windows) with this:

@echo off
C:\apps\exiftool\exiftool -k -overwrite_original -tagsfromfile %%f.JPG -rating -title -creator -xmp:source -rights -location -xmp:city -country -countrycode -people -subject -description -r -ext DNG DNGs

Where "DNGs" is a folder with all the DNG files.

This is just an example of MY bat file. Please read the Exiftool manual and make test before modify your master files