SX280 / 275 / 270 porting - page 17 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

SX280 / 275 / 270 porting

• 365 Replies

Offline srsa_4c

Re: SX280 / 275 / 270 porting
« Reply #160 on: 21 / January / 2015, 15:54:52 »
Advertisements
with this version i used again the 'Override Tv' function shooting in moonlight with a Tv period of 2 min. but the real shooting time was of about 140 sec.
How did you specify the exposure time? If you used "Ev step" then the nearest selectable exposure time is 128 seconds. '0' and '8' look quite similar when the original (tiny) menu font is used. I just tried a long exposure and it was the correct length.
Another little trouble is that CHDK menu, when moving and rotating my camera, blinks (more or less as if it was badly linked to the device that sets the camera orientation).
That's a CHDK feature that tries to redraw the CHDK OSD whenever it is erased by Canon. It does not work particularly well on this camera due to the slow drawing speed (it's even more annoying when the battery icon is blinking).

Isn't infinity 65530?
Older cameras used a short integer to store 'subject distance'. The maximum value of an unsigned short integer is 65535. Newer models store subject distance as a 32 bit integer which allows for bigger numbers. '-1' comes from interpreting the maximum possible unsigned value as signed.

« Reply #161 on: 22 / January / 2015, 17:51:11 »
In Manual mode, 'Enhanced Photo Operations' -> 'Override Tv Type' = 'LongExp' and 'LongExp Value' = '0.02.00' ; Then I set self timer to 2 sec to avoid vibrations.

Uhmm... Seems I have to beg pardon: i just retried the operations to send a more accurated report and I realized that I had some other overrides activated; i cleared them all and now the shutter speed seems to be correct, maybe someone of them messed with the others.
I'm sorry, excuse me.
Anyway this served me to notice that 'Override Subject Distance' (that shoud have 3 values: Off, On, Inf), in my camera works with symbols [ O ], [ O ], [In] (I used the spaces in the first two because brackets disappeared when posting the message): the first two can be confused one with the other; maybe because I'm using a rather big character set to enlarge the menu... Can you verify this?

Nice tip, the one about the OSD redrawing: covering the objective with an hand stopped the blinking.
Thank you!
« Last Edit: 22 / January / 2015, 18:03:12 by Ubicano »
Please, pardon me for possible mistakes: I'm not a native English speaker.
Corrections will be appreciated.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #162 on: 22 / January / 2015, 18:41:18 »
In Manual mode, 'Enhanced Photo Operations' -> 'Override Tv Type' = 'LongExp' and 'LongExp Value' = '0.02.00' ; Then I set self timer to 2 sec to avoid vibrations.

Uhmm... Seems I have to beg pardon: i just retried the operations to send a more accurated report and I realized that I had some other overrides activated; i cleared them all and now the shutter speed seems to be correct, maybe someone of them messed with the others.
There is only one other override that can influence the total shooting time: dark frame subtraction (in the enhanced photo operations menu). If you don't use it, the firmware will decide whether to take a dark frame after the shot, based on the firmware's calculated exposure time.
However, taking a dark frame approximately doubles the total shooting time, which doesn't explain the 120 vs. 140 seconds...
Anyway this served me to notice that 'Override Subject Distance' (that shoud have 3 values: Off, On, Inf), in my camera works with symbols [ O ], [ O ], [In] (I used the spaces in the first two because brackets disappeared when posting the message): the first two can be confused one with the other; maybe because I'm using a rather big character set to enlarge the menu... Can you verify this?
That's an issue with the CHDK RBF font support: the text field length is not calculated correctly for some fonts. Try creating your own fonts: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/RBF_fonts http://rbfeditor.sourceforge.net/
Note that fonts that are too big will slow down menu drawing.
covering the objective with an hand stopped the blinking.
If you navigate the menu for a longer time, switch the camera to playback mode.

« Reply #163 on: 27 / January / 2015, 11:00:35 »
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how well is this CHDK port working so far? Can it save RAW files? Or is it still at a very early stage (compared to CHDK for say SX230/SX260)?

« Reply #164 on: 12 / February / 2015, 18:54:48 »
I am using prealpha7 on a sx280hs and seems to me that saving raw works very well.

« Reply #165 on: 12 / February / 2015, 19:04:19 »
A little note for  srsa_4c: in the first post of this topic, the link in "Newer release is in this post." points to the page of Prealpha7 (13) instead of that of prealpha8 (15).

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #166 on: 12 / February / 2015, 19:44:02 »
A little note for  srsa_4c: in the first post of this topic, the link in "Newer release is in this post." points to the page of Prealpha7 (13) instead of that of prealpha8 (15).
Fixed, thanks.

Offline sgk

« Reply #167 on: 17 / March / 2015, 11:18:04 »
Thank you srsa_4c!

I installed your prealpha 8 on my SX280 102d. CHDK can work on my camera now.

But the CHDK menu font are very small. But it can work.

Hi All,

I also have a Canon sx280HS and have been trying to load CHDK with no luck at all!

I have formatted the card, run stick with the 102c firmware in the same folder as to enforce stick to load it, but nothing! The camera boots and I do not get the Firm menu at all.

I also tried extracting the 102c file on the bootable card, but nothing again! Any ideas?

Thank you

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #168 on: 17 / March / 2015, 13:07:47 »
I have formatted the card, run stick with the 102c firmware in the same folder as to enforce stick to load it, but nothing! The camera boots and I do not get the Firm menu at all.

I also tried extracting the 102c file on the bootable card, but nothing again!
Did you lock the card? Firmware update boot is not supported by the current prealphas (and as it currently looks, it won't be supported later either).
Use the playback button to enter/exit ALT mode.

Offline sgk

« Reply #169 on: 17 / March / 2015, 17:28:24 »
Hi again,

and thanks for helping out. No the card is not locked. I use the Play button to turn on the camera, go to Menu and there is no Firm upgrade sub-menu.

Is there by any chance causing a problem that I am using a 32Gb SD card?

Thanks