SX280 / 275 / 270 porting - page 11 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum  

SX280 / 275 / 270 porting

• 365 Replies

Offline srsa_4c

Re: SX280 / 275 / 270 porting
« Reply #100 on: 14 / October / 2014, 14:57:37 »
Advertisements
Should the reboot feature work?
I have a sx280 102b, using the alpha 6 version of CHDK.  I am running the ultimate intervelometer.
When it executes the reboot() command to restart the camera after a set number of days, the camera just shuts down.  It never wakes up again.
Is the reboot supposed to work on the sx280?
Never tried on this camera before, but as it turns out, reboot() crashes the camera. I'll try to fix that.

edit:
It turned out to be more complicated than expected, so: reboot() is not currently working, crashes the camera.
« Last Edit: 14 / October / 2014, 15:54:12 by srsa_4c »

« Reply #101 on: 22 / October / 2014, 00:06:27 »
New to chdk

In order to get my camera to boot with chdk I have to create two partitions (fat16 and fat32). My problem is that when the camera
boots it only sees the fat16 partition which is only 64mb in size. My card is 8gb sd card. Can someone please advise me on what I need to
do to access that fat32 partition as I need to take quite a lot of pictures for for mapping purposes. I have tried to do as much reading before
posting this request and many of the articles indicates that once the camera boots into chdk it automatically should switch to the larger
partition to store photos.

« Reply #102 on: 22 / October / 2014, 03:05:08 »
In order to get my camera to boot with chdk I have to create two partitions (fat16 and fat32). My problem is that when the camera boots it only sees the fat16 partition which is only 64mb in size. My card is 8gb sd card. Can someone please advise me on what I need to do to access that fat32 partition as I need to take quite a lot of pictures for for mapping purposes.
Dual partitions on cards greater that 4G in size are only required for cameras released prior to 2011.

I have tried to do as much reading before posting this request and many of the articles indicates that once the camera boots into chdk it automatically should switch to the larger partition to store photos.
I'm not sure what you read but there is a lot of old, obsolete information posted about CHDK.   

The only current and complete reference for installing CHDK is here :  Prepare your SD card

Be aware that CHDK for the SX280/275/270 is  very experimental and incomplete - even for CHDK - as they use the new DIGIC6 chip, which requires substantial changes from a regular CHDK port.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #103 on: 28 / November / 2014, 18:18:49 »
Hi folks,
I just purchased a new SX280, after many years using an old SX110 (with CHDK).  I'm struggling to get CHDK even running on the new camera.  I'm running Linux, and I've attempted to use STICK to get the 16GB SSD card setup, but I'm tripping over a bug which the author is attempting to resolve (but hasn't yet).  To be honest, I don't really care for using a GUI to do what can be accomplished with a few commands.  However, I'm having difficult tracking down what the correct commands are.  The closest that I've gotten to getting CHDK running was with a tiny 1MB FAT12 partition and the rest of the SD card formatted for FAT32.  However, even though CHDK ran, the camera complained that there wasn't sufficient space left (presumably on the tiny 1MB FAT12 partition).  As a secondary problem, I can't seem to figure out which button corresponds to ALT.  I've seen a few references to it possibly being the DISPLAY button, but that didn't seem to do anything for me.

Whenever I've tried to just go with a single 16GB FAT32 partition, CHDK never runs at all.  Here's what I've attempted to do:
* Create a single W95/FAT32 partition, occupying all 16GB
* Make the partition bootable:
echo -n BOOTDISK | dd bs=1 count=8 seek=64 of=/dev/mmcblk0p1
* Mount the partition
* Copy the full contents of the CHDK build (from earlier in this thread) to the mounted partition
* Create empty ver files in the new partition:
touch ver.req vers.req
* Unmount the partition, eject the SD card, set it READ-ONLY(LOCK).  Insert into the camera, and power it on, and the screen should briefly flash with the CHDK info.  I never see the CHDK info, and instead get the camera warning me that the memory card is locked.

Can someone point out what I'm missing or doing incorrectly?  Also confirm which button corresponds to ALT would be great.

thanks!

« Reply #104 on: 28 / November / 2014, 18:29:10 »
The closest that I've gotten to getting CHDK running was with a tiny 1MB FAT12 partition and the rest of the SD card formatted for FAT32.  However, even though CHDK ran, the camera complained that there wasn't sufficient space left (presumably on the tiny 1MB FAT12 partition). 
Did you take a few minutes to read through the link I posted above ?   You would have quickly learned that cameras released after 2010 (like yours) dont' need and won't use dual partition schemes.  Hence the camera thinking it only has a 1MB card inserted.

There are a lot of other methods listed there - including some you can do completely in the camera.

echo -n BOOTDISK | dd bs=1 count=8 seek=64 of=/dev/mmcblk0p1
This is also explained on the linked wiki page :  http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Prepare_your_SD_card#Linux 
You are using a FAT32 card so need to use seek=480 rather than seek=64
* Create empty ver files in the new partition:
touch ver.req vers.req
A complete waste of time and unnecessary.  But it won't hurt anything.

Also confirm which button corresponds to ALT would be great.
There are only a few choice and once you see the CHDK logo on boot you will be in a position to try them all pretty quickly.  If you don't get the boot logo, then pressing the right button won't help.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #105 on: 28 / November / 2014, 18:36:36 »
Hi,
As a secondary problem, I can't seem to figure out which button corresponds to ALT.
it's the playback button by default.

* Unmount the partition, eject the SD card, set it READ-ONLY(LOCK).  Insert into the camera, and power it on, and the screen should briefly flash with the CHDK info.
If you see the splash screen then CHDK has successfully loaded.
I never see the CHDK info, and instead get the camera warning me that the memory card is locked.
The "locked card" message could be due to card incompatibility (a growing number of people report that but I've never experienced it). Try some other card.

« Reply #106 on: 28 / November / 2014, 18:38:41 »
The "locked card" message could be due to card incompatibility (a growing number of people report that but I've never experienced it). Try some other card.
The "locked card" message is also perfectly normal if the BOOTDISK string is in the wrong place for a FAT32 partition.  Nothing wrong with the card - it's just locked as the camera says because CHDK has not loaded to intercept that check.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #107 on: 28 / November / 2014, 18:48:08 »
The "locked card" message is also perfectly normal if the BOOTDISK string is in the wrong place for a FAT32 partition.  Nothing wrong with the card - it's just locked as the camera says because CHDK has not loaded to intercept that check.
Doh. I misread the original post "I never see the CHDK info"...

« Reply #108 on: 28 / November / 2014, 19:13:10 »
Thank you all.  My problem was simply that I had the wrong offset in the 'dd' command.  As for reading the 'Prepare your SD card' wiki page, I did read it, several times.  However, as the correct dd command was buried quite a way below the "For Cameras Released Before 2011 :" section, so I overlooked it by mistake.

« Reply #109 on: 28 / November / 2014, 19:34:58 »
Thank you all.  My problem was simply that I had the wrong offset in the 'dd' command.  As for reading the 'Prepare your SD card' wiki page, I did read it, several times.  However, as the correct dd command was buried quite a way below the "For Cameras Released Before 2011 :" section, so I overlooked it by mistake.
Good news then! 

That wiki page can be a bit intimidating. If you look at the edit log, you'll see that someone put a lot of effort into making it as complete as possible.  Periodically, someone new insists there is an easier way and starts a new wiki page about how to install CHDK.  I'm not sure I've seen a good one result from that process yet - not to say it can't be done.