Building a mult-camera rig - page 4 - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum

Building a mult-camera rig

• 244 Replies
Advertisements
I am so excite working on this project  :lol

Today expect to receive the new Canon A2500 (first one from 24 cameras on the way) cam for testing,
meantime I started to manufacture the 3 meter ring

I am looking for CHDK PTP script that connects to all cameras and download images , rename files name according to camera order (#1-#24)

I would appreciate your help

Offline reyalp

Don't forget what the H stands for.

I don't think this buys you anything over just wiring all the 5V pins on the USB plug in parrallel.

Only one output at a time can go low, in this case output 7.

Yet another problem with using 74HC138's although that can be fixed with a different circuit design.   But as I keep saying,  unless you want to add even more circuitry to individually address each camera, you don't need to use them and they add no value.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

I don't think this buys you anything over just wiring all the 5V pins on the USB plug in parrallel.

This post is about Building a mult-camera rig [was: Re: Battery third (temp) terminal as multipurpose analogue input (S).

To clear up a few details

Write/Shoot "SYNC" is "NOW" via the Battery third  terminal. i.e. a custom battery adapter modlue.

The Battery third  terminal is a very well defined "Analogue Input".

The "SYNC" pulse could be a DC Voltage level change.

The "SYNC" pulse could be a DC Current level change.

Also the "SYNC" pulse could also be a AC Coupled voltage/current. i.e for Improved noise rejection.

Read/Download is now controlled  via the USB .... in the Software/Script.

OR (Hardware Multi-Camera Array Controller)

Read/Download can alternatively controlled  via Hardware. i.e. Hacking USB-2 Hubs.

The 74Hc138 is used to select only ONE camera in the array. i.e. Cameras #1 to #8.

The 74Hc138 is also  used to select ALL cameras in the array i.e. via the 9th decode state.

The 74Hc138 uses the enable controls for 5 or 6 bit address decoding.

A 74Hc86 {Ex Or} or 74Hcxx [inverter] is used by the USB +5v Pin/Hub Camera  Drivers.

Write/Shoot "SYNC" as described above.

H-H
« Last Edit: 16 / June / 2014, 19:28:03 by Hardware_Hacker »

quick update

1. Got the first camera (A2500) to work with CHDKPTP + USB REMOTE with waterwingz mask code
2. Purchase 360 metal ring
3. Created simple code to shoot and download the picture to folder , than copy & rename according to camera name

Note
I controlled the power via switch (RED WIRE) after issued shoot process from the pc

waterwing -  I am having some issue with your mask code
If I open the switch after longer than 5 sec , i receive an error message (about error IO)

This isn't happen if i open the switch shorter time than 5 sec

Do u know why is that ?

If I open the switch after longer than 5 sec , i receive an error message (about error IO).  This isn't happen if i open the switch shorter time than 5 sec.
Do you mean that if you wait after you issue the "shoot" command via PTP for more than 5 seconds you get an error message back from the chdkptp client?  Does the camera also take a picture at that point ?

There is a timeout in the USB remote sync code put there so that you cannot wait too long after you start a shot.   It's designed to allow the shot to complete without waiting for the USB 5V signal to release so that you don't trigger a camera watchdog reset by waiting too long.   That shot delay is supposed to be 10 seconds (not 5) so are you certain that the delay you see is 5 seconds?   

At the time I wrote that part of the code,  I did not do a lot of experimentation to determine the maximum delay.  We could probably lengthen it safely.

Also, (from your PM to me) I'll add that this delay is unrelated to the "sync delay" value.  That parameter is removed when the precision sync patch is added.  If you still see a "sync delay" value in the Remote Menu then you are not using code with precision sync enabled.  That would also explain why you are seeing a PTP timeout errors.

waterwings - I am using your mask code with A2500 custom FW

I attached here pic of remote setting

waterwings - I am using your mask code with A2500 custom FW
My mistake - what I sent you does not have precision sync enabled.   However,  the USB hack for PTP should work.

So, back to my other questions.
  • Do you mean that if you wait after you issue the "shoot" command via PTP for more than 5 seconds you get an error message back from the chdkptp client?  Or just if you open the red wire without shooting?
  • Does the camera also take a picture when you get the error message ?
  • Are you certain that the delay you see is 5 seconds and not 10?