Building a mult-camera rig - page 7 - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum  

Building a mult-camera rig

• 244 Replies
Advertisements
waterwings - any progress with the code ?
A little. I'm trying to be as compatible with the existing multicam.Lua script as possible so it's taking a little time. Should have an update for you on the weekend.  Meanwhile the two existing Lua scripts should give you something to test with?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

you can send and i will test and report

Re: Building a mult-camera rig
« Reply #62 on: 28 / June / 2014, 17:49:17 »
you can send and i will test and report
I've managed to work through reyalp's multicam.lua script and convert it for my project.   There were a few trick to learn along the way as I'm planning on having the camera-side script autostart on the cameras rather than download & run from the host script.  That will allow getting the USB remote setup correct each time the camera boots and will also support the assignment of sequential camera numbering at the camera by their position on the shooting rig. 

Of course this meant a journey into the mysteries of usb_msg_table_to_string() and the dreaded "script_id" mechanism.

At this point, there are more things to do than there are things done.  However,  it will connect to multiple cameras (currently five in my case - I guess can go to seven with what I have around the house),  shoot with USB remote sync enabled,  and download the latest images.

Here's a link to the two scripts :  bcam.zip  bcamHost.lua runs on the PC from the same directory as multicam.lua,  bcamRem.lua needs to be on the camera and running.  If you need to halt the script on the camera,  press the shutter button and things will shutdown cleanly.

To make this work at the moment,  you really need a chdkptp installed and running.  Once that's running, these two command line entries will trigger a shoot, and download the result :

Code: [Select]
> run  -e"exec bc=require('bcamHost') bc:connect() bc:cmdwait('shoot')"
> run  -e"exec bc=require('bcamHost') bc:connect() bc:download_last()"
Mapping the downloaded images into directories (or filenames) based on camera ID number is still to be done.  At some point I need to decide on a Gui.  AutoIT vs IUP/Canvas Draw?  Decision, decisions ...

Update : I've started a wiki page for Shooting with Multiple Cameras using CHDK projects.  There is a growing list of links at the bottom - additional contributions would be most welcome.
« Last Edit: 28 / June / 2014, 17:53:30 by waterwingz »

Hi

Small progress with rig fabrication , check it out

working on dummy batteries

The ring is a very robust construction, what is it made from ?

Are the ball-and-socket heads commercial products ?

If you want to capture full-length shots of people surely you will be very near and very wide-angle zoom setting will produce distortion ?

The ring is a very robust construction, what is it made from ?

metal rig

Are the ball-and-socket heads commercial products ?

I am guessing you refer to bracket - yes they are , you can find on internet / ebay

If you want to capture full-length shots of people surely you will be very near and very wide-angle zoom setting will produce distortion ?

I would to capture people from head to toes,
I hope to get good image of people using Canon A2500 without any zoom in vertical position (pic attached)
It will be trail and error till we reach best image & quality

The rig design to support 64 cameras , but we will start with 24 cams

Hope to finish the trigger N shoot wiring with USB hubs over the weekend and upload some pic

Waterwings -  Any progress with code ? need some debugging ?

thx ,

I received two more cameras today (total 3 Canon A2500 )  :lol
@waterwings - I followed your instruction with the new bcam.zip http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=11583.msg113999#msg113999

Here's a link to the two scripts :  bcam.zip  bcamHost.lua runs on the PC from the same directory as multicam.lua,  bcamRem.lua needs to be on the camera and running.  If you need to halt the script on the camera,  press the shutter button and things will shutdown cleanly.

it is very simple to shoot but (must be but :) ), the images that are copied to pc are corrupted while it is fine when checking it on SD card . why is that  ? appreciate your assistance 

please check the attached pics

it is very simple to shoot but (must be but :) ), the images that are copied to pc are corrupted while it is fine when checking it on SD card . why is that  ? appreciate your assistance 
What happens if you run chdkptp in gui mode and use the Files tab to upload a couple of those images?