ELPH 340 (IXUS 265) - page 16 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

ELPH 340 (IXUS 265)

• 174 Replies
Re: ELPH 340 (IXUS 265)
« Reply #150 on: 20 / January / 2021, 07:48:05 »
Advertisements
Here I am. I got this camera as well but found out chdk was not available. Although I'm familiar with chdk (I had it working on my older a620) I can't really get this port from this post working.
According to Stick, mine has the 100c software version.
I already tried formatting the SD card to fat32 and trying to start it with locked SD. If I try the software update way, it doesn't find the file at all (I don't have update options)
A test build for 100c is posted in https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=11597.msg144286#msg144286

It does not include a PS.FI2 file, so the firmware update method is not available. You will need to make the card bootable.
Thanks for your answer
I had already tried it after making my card bootable but it did not work, camera turns on normally saying SD is locked

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
    • Planetary astrophotography
« Reply #151 on: 20 / January / 2021, 13:10:36 »
I had already tried it after making my card bootable but it did not work, camera turns on normally saying SD is locked
Your SD card is probably not configured correctly.
How big is your SD card and what OS are you using on your PC?

« Reply #152 on: 20 / January / 2021, 15:04:49 »
Your SD card is probably not configured correctly.
How big is your SD card and what OS are you using on your PC?
I tried on a 8gb SD but I also have a 4gb and a 2gb ones I may try if size is the problem
I'm running windows 10 on my pc

Let me know, I'd really like to try it on my camera and give some feedbacks

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
« Reply #153 on: 20 / January / 2021, 15:49:40 »
I tried on a 8gb SD but I also have a 4gb and a 2gb ones I may try if size is the problem

Here is a test build that includes a PS.FI2 file so you will be able to use the firmware update method to load the CHDK.
1. Format the SD card as FAT32 using the card reader and PC
2. Copy all the necessary files to the SD card
3. Insert the unlocked card into the camera and turn it on by pressing the PLAY button
4. Load the CHDK using the firmware update method
5. Go to: Miscellaneous stuff >> SD card >> Make card bootable
6. Remove the SD card from the camera, move the slider on the card to the "LOCKED" position, insert it into your camera, and power up

Read more about preparing SD card here: https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/Prepare_your_SD_card

Offline Caefix

• Sorry, busy deleting test shots...
« Reply #154 on: 20 / January / 2021, 16:06:14 »
??? FW-Update opens lens.
The last issue I know, need new PS.FI2 to confirm...
:D Now it boots fine in all modes. Last issue I knew here is history...
All lifetime is a loan from eternity.

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
« Reply #155 on: 20 / January / 2021, 16:09:51 »
:D Now it boots fine in all modes. Last issue I knew here is history...
There are no changes to the source code, everything is the same as before. ;)

« Reply #156 on: 21 / January / 2021, 08:31:43 »

Here is a test build that includes a PS.FI2 file so you will be able to use the firmware update method to load the CHDK.
1. Format the SD card as FAT32 using the card reader and PC
2. Copy all the necessary files to the SD card
3. Insert the unlocked card into the camera and turn it on by pressing the PLAY button
4. Load the CHDK using the firmware update method
5. Go to: Miscellaneous stuff >> SD card >> Make card bootable
6. Remove the SD card from the camera, move the slider on the card to the "LOCKED" position, insert it into your camera, and power up

Read more about preparing SD card here: https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/Prepare_your_SD_card
It works perfectly now :D
Both firmware and bootable sd methods, but for some reason it started in turkish  :D

Thanks a lot, I'll try it in the days to come and give my feedback, wishing it will be helpful as well

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
« Reply #157 on: 21 / January / 2021, 10:07:35 »

It works perfectly now :D
Both firmware and bootable sd methods, but for some reason it started in turkish  :D

Thanks a lot, I'll try it in the days to come and give my feedback, wishing it will be helpful as well
Thanks for the report.
The CHDK is compiled by default in English. You can change the language in the CHDK menu, this has no effect on the language selected in the Canon menu.
It is necessary to go through these tests and publish the report on the forum, without that this will never become the official port and will not be available in the autobuild server.
https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/Testing

« Reply #158 on: 22 / January / 2021, 10:00:45 »
Ok guys I started testing it some
At first I had a small issue cause the SD could not be read for some reason from the camera nor from my phone or pc.
So I started again and now chdk started in English and didn't crash anymore, for now.
By the way, I only tried basic settings for now like custom ISO and raw which are particularly useful in my case, cause this is a full-spectrum converted camera with which I shot mostly in infrared.
Also the dng files have wrong lens profiles, like I'm using some fisheye, with a noticeable distortion and black vignettes.
But I guess this is normal when taking pics in raw format, although I didn't have it with my old powershot a620.
Not much of a problem as you just crop and correct distortion in photoshop anyway.
As soon as the weather gets better ill do more tests and show you some infrared pics :D

Offline reyalp

« Reply #159 on: 22 / January / 2021, 14:03:42 »
Also the dng files have wrong lens profiles, like I'm using some fisheye, with a noticeable distortion and black vignettes.
Yes, it's normal. CHDK DNG do not contain lens correction information, although some software may have profiles for some cameras.
But I guess this is normal when taking pics in raw format, although I didn't have it with my old powershot a620.
The main reason is that the old cameras didn't do nearly as much (if any) software correction. That's part of why a pocket compact like the elph340 can have 12x optical zoom, where the a620 only had 4x in a much larger package.
Don't forget what the H stands for.