Withdrawal of Barney Fife - Forum related topics (including issues) - CHDK Forum

Withdrawal of Barney Fife

• 30 Replies
Withdrawal of Barney Fife
« on: 22 / April / 2008, 21:54:40 »
Advertisements
It is sad that Barney Fife has withdrawn. Even in my short association with this forum I realised, he was the one person from whom you could expect an answer. His posts were real informative. I hope he reviews his decision and start contributing to this forum again.

acseven (admin) edit: my comment here Withdrawal of Barney Fife
« Last Edit: 23 / April / 2008, 18:31:30 by acseven »

Re: Withdrawal of Barney Fife
« Reply #1 on: 22 / April / 2008, 23:38:20 »
I want everyone here to know that Barney Fife has foolishly mistaken me for someone else.
I've been waiting to have my original user account ("Sterling" reinstated since he banned me.
The details of what transpired and eventually led up to Barney's rash decision to pull his posts and leave the forum are outlined here; http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/User:SterlingRex

I am not the person that Barney thinks I am, and I'm not a "gay-basher". My only problem with Fife was that he treats noobs like freshmen at a frat house. There's no excuse for it.

I'm disappointed that his posts are gone, but I do not feel responsible for his actions, nor am I sorry he has decided to leave.

Offline wap4

• A720IS
« Reply #2 on: 23 / April / 2008, 00:09:33 »
My only problem with Fife was that he treats noobs like freshmen at a frat house. There's no excuse for it.
But Barney has helped newbies before! He usually gets angry when newbies post the same questions in this forum that has been answered in the wikia. These newbies,for some reason,never read the FAQ's in the wikia & comes to this forum with same questions. Although I don't know what happened in your case! Also I did notice that Fife was in a bad temper this month and he got furious if you opposed his view.

Barney,please rethink & join the forum again.

Edit: I think that Barney has realized that his language was too harsh,that's why he removed all his posts so that none can quote him further & criticize him. BTW,who is 'bluenoser' mentioned besides 'sterling'? I can't find any member of this name! 
« Last Edit: 23 / April / 2008, 09:32:06 by wap4 »

« Reply #3 on: 23 / April / 2008, 00:43:44 »
He chose not just to leave, but to pull his entire post history in an effort to ruin this forum before he left. That was a selfish and spiteful thing to do. Though I realize his contributions are significant to the CHDK wiki & forum, I'm certain others will agree with me that the loss of his posts will not have nearly the detrimental impact that Barney himself would like to believe.
After all, he did tend to blather on about himself quite a bit.

Regarding "noobs" as irritating troublesome pests to the forum is flat out wrong. It's the wrong message to send, IMO. Curious camera enthusiasts should not be met with the inhospitable attitude of Barney Fife.
Furthermore, as the forum moderator, he certainly could have done more to reduce the "recent influx of noobs asking inane, redundant questions...", such as create new sub forums, sections for developers where noobs could not be allowed to post, etc.
Instead, Barney Fife chose to be rather obnoxious.

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
« Reply #4 on: 23 / April / 2008, 01:32:30 »
such as create new sub forums, sections for developers where noobs could not be allowed to post, etc.

Moderators do not have such permissions here. Just edit/move/split/merge/lock topics.
CHDK Developer.

databoy

« Reply #5 on: 23 / April / 2008, 03:39:49 »
I must have missed the excitement. I do not read the forum as much as I used to. Mainly too busy with other living life activities.

A word of wisdom. Everyone should calm down and not get excited over misunderstandings. We all live in different parts of the planet. Australian English is different to US English. For example root in Australia means having sex. Root in the USA means supporting your sporting team.

Many of you are from countries where English is not your native language. Some of the common words can be misunderstood and misinterpreted. It is difficult enough to convey precisely what a person wants to express in a forum. Wars and lives have been lost over such misuse of the English language.

My solution is to sleep on it for a few days, calm down and think rationally. We are all here because of a common interest. Don't get to the stage where it happens on a lot of forums; the forum develops into an ego flame war and all the good people jump ship.

I am of the opinion that all forums need some comic relief in the way of a humour/joke section. Maybe the whoever set the system up could do that.   

« Reply #6 on: 23 / April / 2008, 06:33:37 »
DOES NOT COMPUTE!!!

I am forced to ignore this event because of the irrationality behind it.

« Reply #7 on: 23 / April / 2008, 06:50:13 »
A word of wisdom. Everyone should calm down and not get excited over misunderstandings. We all live in different parts of the planet. Australian English is different to US English. For example root in Australia means having sex. Root in the USA means supporting your sporting team.

Many of you are from countries where English is not your native language. Some of the common words can be misunderstood and misinterpreted. It is difficult enough to convey precisely what a person wants to express in a forum. Wars and lives have been lost over such misuse of the English language.

My solution is to sleep on it for a few days, calm down and think rationally. We are all here because of a common interest. Don't get to the stage where it happens on a lot of forums; the forum develops into an ego flame war and all the good people jump ship.
This was no case of mistakes made due to a language barrier; we both live in the US. It was, however, a case involving ego; -the rather huge ego of Mr. Fife which I apparently bruised when I exposed his long history of trouble making and banishments from other photography forums.
His ego too large for him to even see the point I was making about his conduct unbecoming of a forum moderator with regards to how he treated the newer members, he just saw it as a complete personal attack, and associated me with someone else who must be giving him a hard time elsewhere.

I am here to save my name as camera and chdk enthusiast as Mr. Fife has left behind nothing of himself for the membership of this forum save 1500 post that have written at the bottom that I am a "stalker and a gay-basher".
I wish to continue being a part of this community. I would not normally bother with such childish Internet drama, but I feel that I must resolve this issue by explaining myself and my actions fully to you all before I can proceed.

Offline waldo

« Reply #8 on: 23 / April / 2008, 10:52:18 »
And it appears that Woodsman has done the same as far as deleting all his messages.  There are now entire message threads containing nothing but "Deleted".

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
    • poll about some pics (not much serious) ^^
« Reply #9 on: 23 / April / 2008, 11:35:10 »
Hej,
I'm wondering about the "right" to delete things you once made public.

Btw didn't really get what happened exactly, but whatever, it seems to me that all this is over-reacting. Never seen anyone deleting all his posts when living a forum before. New trend ?