Multi-camera setup project. - page 20 - Creative Uses of CHDK - CHDK Forum

Multi-camera setup project.

• 462 Replies

Offline eponymous

• Canon A4000
Re: Multi-camera setup project.
« Reply #190 on: 21 / September / 2014, 09:07:45 »
Advertisements
Poor quality cables are a notorious problem with USB. Not sure how to test them, but they can cause all sorts of problems with drives, etc. They'll work well enough to make trouble. >:(

Sadly you can't test them if you don't buy them :) A cable that works well with usb sticks/disks or printers is not guaranteed that will work well with a bunch of cameras.

If you check the photos that i posted , you will see around the tripods on the floor stacks of cables that we used , they didn't work and are going to be a money (and it was time loss too) loss.

Yes, but other people buy and test these things too. There are more and less reputable brands.
John

Offline mphx

« Reply #191 on: 28 / September / 2014, 11:40:16 »
A minor problem raised up.

Some tests with zoom came up with some distortion...if we take the photos as raw then the problem is solved.
But we can't switch 64 cameras to raw images since raw format is too big for transferring.

Is there a way probably through some lua commands to switch between jpg and raw format at will ?

« Reply #192 on: 28 / September / 2014, 11:55:47 »
Is there a way probably through some lua commands to switch between jpg and raw format at will ?
set_raw(off/on) ?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline mphx

« Reply #193 on: 28 / September / 2014, 11:57:39 »

set_raw(off/on) ?

i shouldn't be confused with the "recording" i see there..right?it means photos ...right? :)

Also since i am not lua expert.. what should be the code of a "button" that switches on/off raw recording?

probably getting current status and turning on or off accordingly raw mode.
« Last Edit: 28 / September / 2014, 12:03:01 by mphx »

« Reply #194 on: 28 / September / 2014, 12:10:28 »
it means photos ...right? :)
Yes.

Also since i am not lua expert.. what should be the code of a "button" that switches on/off raw recording?
probably getting current status and turning on or off accordingly raw mode.
I don't know what your existing "button" code looks like but you are probably also looking for the get_raw() function ?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline mphx

« Reply #195 on: 28 / September / 2014, 14:54:11 »
Ok , i added some buttons for raw mode and for manipulating dng files apart from jpeg.I will put them in test tomorrow and will post the code for anyone that would like to do something similar.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #196 on: 29 / September / 2014, 00:10:38 »
Some tests with zoom came up with some distortion...if we take the photos as raw then the problem is solved.
It's not clear what you mean. Are you saying the jpeg has distortion but the raw doesn't? Usually, it's the other way around, the camera applies distortion correction to the jpeg, while the raw is uncorrected.

There are also some ports which have bug where using the set_zoom function causes the jpeg to not have the normal distortion correction applied. In this case, we may be able to fix the bug, or you can use repeated clicks of zoom_in and zoom_out to set the zoom.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline mphx

« Reply #197 on: 29 / September / 2014, 03:03:52 »

It's not clear what you mean. Are you saying the jpeg has distortion but the raw doesn't? Usually, it's the other way around, the camera applies distortion correction to the jpeg, while the raw is uncorrected.

There are also some ports which have bug where using the set_zoom function causes the jpeg to not have the normal distortion correction applied. In this case, we may be able to fix the bug, or you can use repeated clicks of zoom_in and zoom_out to set the zoom.

Unfortunately i was not present at these tests.My friend told me these things.He tried to shoot with zoom and there was a result with the "fish eye" effect as he said.He tried with raw on (from the chdk menu) and the result was correct.
So he is thinking about having raw mode ON at all times (with the use of buttons) .But this rises the problem of downloading.Jpeg is like 4mb and dng is like 25mb.
So he will download jpeg files to show to the clients when they shoot and he will download the dng files when the client is gone , because the result is overall better with the dng files.
I will go over the studio today to see the images and the "distortion" and will post again later today.

Offline mphx

« Reply #198 on: 29 / September / 2014, 14:46:19 »
I was at studio today.There is a distortion at photos with zoom. straight things appear bent.The same distortion in dng format is way less.

We are thinking to play with both formats.Jpeg for rough tests and to show some quick results to the clients and dng format for the actual work.Dng format offers some things jpeg doesnt.We can do some fast corrections with photoshop , things we can't do with jpegs.
So with few minutes work with photoshop we can gain hours in modelling and rest 3d work afterwards.

Cameras are extremely stable all day long and we are now taking demo photos of ourselves :) to make demo miniatures to display in ads , sites and in studio :)

Offline reyalp

« Reply #199 on: 30 / September / 2014, 23:14:43 »
I was at studio today.There is a distortion at photos with zoom. straight things appear bent.The same distortion in dng format is way less.
The only way I can see this happening is if the camera firmware is incorrectly applying the distortion correction. This could happen if the part of the firmware that does the correction thinks it's at a different zoom level.

Are you using the set_zoom function to change the zoom?

Do you still get the same effect if you use key press functions, like click('zoom_in') ?

If you shoot without zooming in, is the DNG more or less distorted than the jpeg?

Of course, if DNG works for you then you can certainly use it, but looking into the root cause might save you trouble elsewhere.
Don't forget what the H stands for.