Powershot A2300 first time user - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Powershot A2300 first time user

• 8 Replies
Powershot A2300 first time user
« on: 21 / August / 2014, 00:08:19 »
Advertisements
I was able to use stick successfully, and now have the SD card in my camera but don't know what to do now.  I read to activate it I'm suppose to click on PLAY (but not for more then 1 sec) to activate the CHDK menu, nothing happens.  I also tried the new user guide (http://drop.io/chdk_new_UserGuide_booklet_pdf) but that link doesn't seem to work.

My end game is to have 8 A2300's shoot at the same time for a mini bullet time rig.

Re: Powershot A2300 first time user
« Reply #1 on: 21 / August / 2014, 00:17:12 »
If you used STICK to setup your card, did you put the SD card's lock switch into the "Locked" position before restarting your camera ?

If so,  did you see the CHDK logo on the LCD when you started the camera ?

The official CHDK manual is here : http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_1.2.0_User_Manual

Some other useful & working links :

link> CHDK User Manual
link> CHDK for Dummies
link> Forum Thread on Getting Started
link> CHDK in Brief
link> CHDK User Quick Start Guide
link> CHDK Wiki FAQ
link> CHDK Firmware Usage
link> CHDK Installation Guide
link> One Page Users Guide
link> Prepare Your SD Card
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 21 / August / 2014, 09:59:46 »
Thank you for the response.  Yes, I did insert the card in locked position.  No, I did not get a chdk splash screen.  I took a look at the guide (thank you) but didn't see anything about "if splash screen doesn't appear".  Would you suggest I run stick again?

« Reply #3 on: 21 / August / 2014, 10:25:59 »
I formatted my 4GB SD card using the format option via my A2300.
I took a fresh picture, and started STICK again.  STICK ran fine, I locked the SD card and inserted it into my A2300.  Stock flash screen comes up, it doesn't appear that CHDK was loaded.

« Reply #4 on: 21 / August / 2014, 10:34:50 »
Ok, I figured it out  :)

I had to start the camera up not with the power button but with the playback button, then update the firmware.  As soon as I updated the firmware I saw the splash screen pop up.

All is good.

I spoke to soon, all is not good.

So I then turned on my camera using the power button and did not get the splash screen.  Thought this was strange and so I started it back up again using the play back button.  I went to the firmware update and noticed that it didn't update it, it still shows 1.0.0.0 -> 1.1.0.0.  It seems to either not load or somehow reset.
« Last Edit: 21 / August / 2014, 10:39:28 by pecck »

« Reply #5 on: 21 / August / 2014, 11:08:40 »
Ok, I figured it out  :)

I had to start the camera up not with the power button but with the playback button, then update the firmware.  As soon as I updated the firmware I saw the splash screen pop up.

All is good.

I spoke to soon, all is not good.

So I then turned on my camera using the power button and did not get the splash screen.  Thought this was strange and so I started it back up again using the play back button.  I went to the firmware update and noticed that it didn't update it, it still shows 1.0.0.0 -> 1.1.0.0.  It seems to either not load or somehow reset.
Please read and understand this wiki page  :

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Prepare_your_SD_card

You are missing some fundamental understanding that you will need before going any farther.

For example,  you need to understand the difference between the "firmware update" method of loading CHDK and the "SD Card Lock" method of auto-booting.

You also need to understand that CHDK does not update the firmware on your camera or make any other permanent changes.

It's all covered on that wiki page.

« Reply #6 on: 21 / August / 2014, 11:35:57 »
Please read and understand this wiki page  :

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Prepare_your_SD_card

You are missing some fundamental understanding that you will need before going any farther.

For example,  you need to understand the difference between the "firmware update" method of loading CHDK and the "SD Card Lock" method of auto-booting.

You also need to understand that CHDK does not update the firmware on your camera or make any other permanent changes.

It's all covered on that wiki page.

I've read over the link you sent, and this is where I think I'm a bit confused.  I was under the understanding that STICK is a 3rd option that does it all.

« Reply #7 on: 21 / August / 2014, 14:21:52 »
I finally figured it out from a youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYOaspc4Ohw

What I was missing was after starting the camera via the play button and not the power button I was suppose to tap the shutter button and then to enter the CHDK menu tap the play button again.

With all my reading not once did I see any mention of entering via the play button and then tapping the shutter button.

I'm just glad it's working.  Excited to start learning about the scripts.

« Reply #8 on: 21 / August / 2014, 15:52:45 »
I finally figured it out from a youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYOaspc4Ohw
I'm familiar with that video. It's pretty good but had several mistakes and omissions.  I've shared some of those with BigNate but he seems unwilling to fix them.

What I was missing was after starting the camera via the play button and not the power button I was suppose to tap the shutter button and then to enter the CHDK menu tap the play button again.
Not quite. You only need to start the camera exclusively with the Play button when you are using the firmware update method.  And you never need to press the shutter button during the process. All that does is put the camera into shooting mode. You don't need to be in shooting mode - you can enter the CHDK menu from playback mode.

With  my reading not once did I see any mention of entering via the play button and then tapping the shutter button.
That's because you don't need to do that.
« Last Edit: 21 / August / 2014, 16:07:07 by waterwingz »