Using a Canon G10 for Astrophotography - page 2 - Creative Uses of CHDK - CHDK Forum

Using a Canon G10 for Astrophotography

• 13 Replies
Re: Using a Canon G10 for Astrophotography
« Reply #10 on: 16 / October / 2014, 11:43:24 »
Advertisements
Wow

That was a phenomenally good summary, concise and extremely useful.

You are a rare author. Can I ask if you write any books?

I especially liked the short bit of history you inserted into just a few words. I have heard of Tv and Av, but never the abbeviation Sv.

I had often wondered why Tv and Av for "Exposure Priority" and "Aperture Priority" were not Tp and Ap, now it all makes sense.

The Overrides option still causes me a little confusion. I gather a good script just sets default on startup and I shouldn't be 'Overriding the Overrides' in the beginning, just set the camera on P mode and shoot. Twist the dial on top to 'P' and go.

The usage of the ND option also leaves me a bit in doubt, sounded like ND on for Star Trails is good and ND off for everything else. I guess I'll have to experiment a bit.. which is half the fun.

The CHDK description page for the Focus seems all over the map with depends on camera and exceptions to the rule, AFL and MF.. I may just have to struggle with trying to learn how to set it at Infinity.

Thank you for your very informative summary and for pointing me at the meteor2.lau Script.

I think it will be very useful.

I start my drive to West Texas tomorrow morning before Sunrise, its a 9 hour drive, but its something I've wanted to do for a long time. Remote dark skys on a lonely Mountain top with a Really big telescope.

I'll post images of whatever I get.. good or bad.

« Reply #11 on: 16 / October / 2014, 12:53:06 »

Quote from: jwillis84
The Overrides option still causes me a little confusion. I gather a good script just sets default on startup and I shouldn't be 'Overriding the Overrides' in the beginning, just set the camera on P mode and shoot. Twist the dial on top to 'P' and go.
Correct. The script will override any override you set if it's something the script wants to do so save yourself the trouble.

The usage of the ND option also leaves me a bit in doubt, sounded like ND on for Star Trails is good and ND off for everything else. I guess I'll have to experiment a bit.. which is half the fun.
Might not be worth the trouble.  The ND filter is mostly useful on really bright days where the needed shutter speed is beyond the camera's limit, or for when you want to use a slower shutter speed to get background blur while panning with a moving subject, or for getting longer exposure times while shooting fireworks.

The CHDK description page for the Focus seems all over the map with depends on camera and exceptions to the rule, AFL and MF.. I may just have to struggle with trying to learn how to set it at Infinity..
I'm still slowly working on that one. For the meteor script, just set the script parameter to on and it should lock focus after the first shoot, saving the refocus time between shots.

Good luck on your trip. Looking forward to your photos!

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #12 on: 07 / November / 2014, 21:16:16 »
First DNG pic DSS

10-18-2014 12:38 AM

Top of Mt Locke, Fort Davis, TX, US [ University of Texas, McDonald Observatory ]

Dome is 101-inch Harlen J. Smith Telescope

Used a Canon G10 with CHDK and tripod, no tracking mount

Deep Sky Stacker says 6400 ISO, 3 min 6 seconds, 5 dark frames, 15 light frames
« Last Edit: 07 / November / 2014, 21:26:01 by jwillis84 »

« Reply #13 on: 07 / November / 2014, 21:23:00 »
First DNG pic DSS 10-18-2014 12:38 AM  Top of Mt Locke, Fort Davis, TX, US Dome is 101-inch Harlen J. Smith Telescope.
Used a Canon G10 with CHDK Deep Sky Stacker says 6400 ISO, 3 min 6 seconds, 5 dark frames, 15 light frames
AWESOME !  It's just amazing what is out there beyond the light pollution of the cities!

<< G10 ! >>
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16