Custom Colors : standardizing a semi-transparent grey - page 11 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Custom Colors : standardizing a semi-transparent grey

• 106 Replies

Offline reyalp

Re: Custom Colors : standardizing a semi-transparent grey
« Reply #100 on: 02 / November / 2014, 15:46:54 »
Advertisements
This seems like a good approach to me, but it's a pretty major change to put in right before 1.3. If we want to release 1.3 soon, it might be better to put it off to 1.4. That doesn't mean stopping work on it.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #101 on: 02 / November / 2014, 16:19:31 »
This seems like a good approach to me, but it's a pretty major change to put in right before 1.3. If we want to release 1.3 soon, it might be better to put it off to 1.4. That doesn't mean stopping work on it.

Agreed; but it also depends on how long it takes to fix the big 1.3 issues before starting 1.4.

I can create a new branch for this so it will be easier to keep up to date with any other changes to 1.3 in the meantime.

Edit: Added a new branch for this which also saves posting large patches here. The current branch code should fix the override, message box and file selector colors, and also includes the updated colors for the A560.

Phil.
« Last Edit: 02 / November / 2014, 16:58:18 by philmoz »
CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

« Reply #102 on: 14 / December / 2014, 16:25:21 »
Not sure if this is the best place to post the following but I think it will do.

On cameras where the custom palette is implemented,  it's pretty easy to tell what mode the Canon UI is in via the active_palette_buffer variable.  Not sure if there is another way for cams without that patch or older VxWorks cameras ?

Regardless, using active_palette_buffer it should be possible to disable the CHDK OSD stuff when the camera is not in Canon shooting or playback mode.  Colors usually look wonky when not in those modes and the OSD icons tend to just get in the way.  Additionally, we could probably disable <ALT> mode completely when the Canon menus are active as that tends to look confusing at best and now seems possible to fix.

Seems like a simple fix or am I missing something?

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #103 on: 14 / December / 2014, 17:01:18 »
Regardless, using active_palette_buffer it should be possible to disable the CHDK OSD stuff when the camera is not in Canon shooting or playback mode.  Colors usually look wonky when not in those modes and the OSD icons tend to just get in the way.
I think users quickly realize this and don't enter ALT mode when Canon menus are active.
Additionally, we could probably disable <ALT> mode completely when the Canon menus are active as that tends to look confusing at best and now seems possible to fix.
I don't think this is a good idea. You can enter Canon menus by scripted keypresses. To alter some (otherwise unreachable) settings, this is even important.

Additionally, there are occasions when you do want ALT mode while inside a Canon menu (propcase, uiprop research, etc.).

« Reply #104 on: 14 / December / 2014, 17:08:36 »
I think users quickly realize this and don't enter ALT mode when Canon menus are active.
Maybe they are all smarter than me then.   I frequently get stuck in the combo of <ALT> mode and Canon menus. You can back out of that with a little care but it's a PITA.

Additionally, we could probably disable <ALT> mode completely when the Canon menus are active as that tends to look confusing at best and now seems possible to fix.
I don't think this is a good idea. You can enter Canon menus by scripted keypresses. To alter some (otherwise unreachable) settings, this is even important.
Good point.  But I think we could easily differentiate between <ALT> with script running and <ALT> without script running ?

Additionally, there are occasions when you do want ALT mode while inside a Canon menu (propcase, uiprop research, etc.).
Even though the resulting palette colors frequently make this almost unusable ?

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #105 on: 14 / December / 2014, 17:17:38 »
But I think we could easily differentiate between <ALT> with script running and <ALT> without script running ?
:) I think this is a bit more complicated.

Even though the resulting palette colors frequently make this almost unusable ?
You can always extend custom palette support to those modes if you're really desperate ;)

« Reply #106 on: 14 / December / 2014, 19:23:45 »
You can always extend custom palette support to those modes if you're really desperate ;)
Well,  I can see you are not interested.  But from my perspective, it's an annoying usability issue that we now have a relatively easy way to fix.

edit :  and we could always add a menu item to disable it if necessary
« Last Edit: 14 / December / 2014, 19:52:13 by waterwingz »