Manual Focus @ Infinity not working - page 3 - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Manual Focus @ Infinity not working

• 151 Replies

Offline eponymous

• Canon A4000
Re: Manual Focus @ Infinity not working
« Reply #20 on: 29 / October / 2014, 22:49:23 »
Advertisements
Does it make sense to set up a Google spreadsheet (vel sim.) for everyone to enter data into, instead of lots of posts to this thread?
John

« Reply #21 on: 29 / October / 2014, 23:10:41 »
Does it make sense to set up a Google spreadsheet (vel sim.) for everyone to enter data into, instead of lots of posts to this thread?
Maybe at some point.   I have access to  seven cameras that have no problem focusing at infinity.  We don't need 20 or 30 people to also report that.  For now it would be good to just find people who have issues with "soft focus" at infinity and see if there is a trend in the related mecha positions.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #22 on: 30 / October / 2014, 04:26:29 »
It would be nice to log the script output messages to avoid misreadings like I did.

Is it possible to use MF-TEST.LUA for the purpose of infinity focus testing? I understand that this one logs the messages to a file.
Canon A3100IS - 100d
CHDK a3100-100d-1.2.0-3643-full_ALPHA

« Reply #23 on: 30 / October / 2014, 09:09:16 »
It would be nice to log the script output messages to avoid misreadings like I did.
Actually, the script already logs to a file.  I neglected to mention that - look in the CHDK/LOGS folder for LOG_0001.TXT.

Is it possible to use MF-TEST.LUA for the purpose of infinity focus testing? I understand that this one logs the messages to a file.
As I mentioned earlier,  I have a much more comprehensive script I've been using to fully charaterize SD settings vs mecha position vs zoom position.  It creates a log file suitable for easily creating charts with a spreadsheet. It will also more useful for collecting to a shared spreadsheet per eponymous' suggestion.  However, using that script takes a bit of a commitment on the part of the person doing the tests.  Manual measurements of distances to suitable focus targets are needed and will take time and patience although the script's GUI interface makes the chore a little easier.

Meanwhile, I've pinged the owners of the "bad" cameras that have been identified so far.  Hopefully they will report back and we can decide if this whole "mecha position" idea is even worth pursuing.

Offline eponymous

• Canon A4000
« Reply #24 on: 30 / October / 2014, 10:11:26 »
My A4000 reports an error before taking the third picture, something like:

88: attempt to set global variable set_mf

John

« Reply #25 on: 30 / October / 2014, 10:16:20 »
My A4000 reports an error before taking the third picture, something like:
88: attempt to set global variable set_mf
The script needs CHDK 1.3.0.   I'll add a check to the next version that warns about that.

« Reply #26 on: 30 / October / 2014, 10:48:47 »
I repeated yesterday's tests: one for infinity, other for a subject 30 cm closer (.3 m).
For the close distance testing, I used a ruler to make sure the distance between the objective and the subject was effectively 30 cm.
Log is attached.
DoF readings as follows:

1) Infinity test:
S/NL/FL-> INF/INF/INF
DOF/HYP -> inf/1.01 (before halpressing the shutter to get focus); inf/2.87 (after halfpressing the shutter)

2) Close distance test:
S/NL/FL-> .394/.346/.455
DOF/HYP -> .102/2.87

I did four consecutive runs for each subkect distance.

Both ran under Canon P mode, and Canon DoF "Mountain&Face" setting

As for the close distance test, the camera seemed to have missed the focus when in AFL and MF mode, when compared to the AUTO mode, as you can see from the pics below (from left to right, images in script shooting order)

Canon A3100IS - 100d
CHDK a3100-100d-1.2.0-3643-full_ALPHA

« Reply #27 on: 30 / October / 2014, 11:12:22 »
I repeated yesterday's tests: one for infinity, other for a subject 30 cm closer (.3 m).
So this seems to show that the set_focus() command positions the lens differently than autofocus does for the same subject distance.  Not sure if that's just a small precision difference or something else at play (like maybe the call to set_focus() does not really do what we think?).

It will be interesting to see if we can get any other testers reporting similar results (or maybe even worse).

Offline eponymous

• Canon A4000
« Reply #28 on: 30 / October / 2014, 11:36:10 »
OK, got 1.3.0 (which seems to start up in review mode?) and ran the script.

First, the script reports:

Code: [Select]
Focus Test 65.5m
AUTO: SD:1.4m mecha:663
AFL : SD:1.3m mecha:664
MF  : SD:infinity mecha:653

As for the images, 1 & 2 seem identical and good. 3 is fuzzy. See attachment (which I cropped and reduced by 50% so it would fit).
John

« Reply #29 on: 30 / October / 2014, 11:39:50 »
Here i am.
Glad to see WW fighting again with the focus issues ... of few orphans  :)
My "mecha test" on ixus125:

long distance

short distance

The third picture of series is always blurred

log attached