Thanks to CHDK and its developers - General Chat - CHDK Forum

Thanks to CHDK and its developers

• 4 Replies
Thanks to CHDK and its developers
« on: 24 / November / 2014, 17:16:10 »
Advertisements
Thanks to CHDK I could wake an old and humble A3100 IS from hybernation and find out a whole new world of amateur photography.

With it I'm starting to produce time lapses (thanks to yass4 script and all developers who made it possible) and stacked photographs.

Below a couple of examples I would like too share with you:

This was the most complicated one. I had to stack 11 photos twice and then blend both into this one.

This resulted from the stacking approximately 200 photos from a yass4 sunrise session.

This resulted from the stacking of approximately 200 photos from a yass4 sunset session.

This resulted from the focus stacking of a couple of photos.

Special thanks to waterwingz from whom I got excellent support in understanding yass4 script and the infinity focus constraints of my camera.
« Last Edit: 24 / November / 2014, 17:21:16 by oneaty »
Canon A3100IS - 100d
CHDK a3100-100d-1.2.0-3643-full_ALPHA

Re: Thanks to CHDK and its developers
« Reply #1 on: 24 / November / 2014, 17:25:26 »
Amazing post! 

Thanks for taking this time to do this.  This is really nice thanks for those of us who take a few short minutes of our time to occasionally help out here.  We seldom get to see the results of our responses.

It even makes up for the posters who grab their answer and disappear with nothing else said.

P.S. : payback time too - I've never thought of stacking the yass4.lua images - always limited my thinking to timelapse videos.  This is an even nicer use.
« Last Edit: 24 / November / 2014, 17:27:03 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 25 / November / 2014, 11:02:54 »
I've never thought of stacking the yass4.lua images - always limited my thinking to timelapse videos.  This is an even nicer use.

Not sure if I understood what you mean by "This is an even nicer use".
Canon A3100IS - 100d

« Reply #3 on: 25 / November / 2014, 11:18:12 »
Not sure if I understood what you mean by "This is an even nicer use".
Sorry. 

What I meant was that stacking the images from yass4.lua rather than just creating a time-lapse video is an even nicer use of the output of the script.  I don't use my cameras much for video as (going back to the days of VHS tapes) I never go back and look at videos. 

But getting a dramatic image from a stack created by a script is something I would use and add to my folder of "shots I like".
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #4 on: 25 / November / 2014, 11:55:26 »
But getting a dramatic image from a stack created by a script is something I would use and add to my folder of "shots I like".

I think I agree with you.

From that perspective, we could think of yass4 as a tool to provide what I would call "natural bracketing": you rely on Nature - specifically, on Earth's rotation - to give you the variety of exposures you'd otherwise had to artificially produce by changing the camera's exposure at a given moment.

In this sense, what yass4 does is just to follow what is given outside the camera, that is, a natural change in luminosity, as opposed to the artificial exposure change in standard, instant bracketing.

Interesting to think about it this way, I guess.

Changing subject, maybe it would be interesting that you guys create a sub-forum for people to share their work, maybe creating, from time to time, some kind of contest. I saw something like that on an astrophotography forum and the share-your-work sub-forum seemed very active. I'm sure that after creating it, a simple call in your Facebook page would atract many people. Since it wouldn't be a Q&A sub-forum, it wouldn't give you admins much work I guess.
« Last Edit: 25 / November / 2014, 12:07:52 by oneaty »
Canon A3100IS - 100d