can CHDK harm the memory card? - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum  

can CHDK harm the memory card?

• 17 Replies
can CHDK harm the memory card?
« on: 30 / April / 2008, 03:40:23 »
Advertisements
Sorry if this has been asked like million times, but im just checking. I already know that it wont harm the camera but what about the memory card? I have a bit expencive card and im not planning to ruin it  :-[

Thanks in advance.

Offline a710is

• A710 IS
Re: can CHDK harm the memory card?
« Reply #1 on: 30 / April / 2008, 04:43:32 »
NO. unless you excessively abuse it yourself physically by inserting it/ removing it millions of times. but that wouldn't be CHDK's fault.

« Reply #2 on: 30 / April / 2008, 14:01:01 »
Are you saying that if i bang it with a hammer it may get damaged? 
Just kidding. :D

I was just refferring to one thread here where someone said he broke his memory card.  :-[
This one
Allbest S5is release

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #3 on: 30 / April / 2008, 14:17:02 »
that dude probably was so excited to try chdk that he stuck the card in the cardreader the wrong way - maybe.
also you have to consider that you probably will set the write protection of the card very often. since it is only cheap plastic (the contacts are made of metal at least) it is likely to break after about 10.000 uses, which is like a million years on a non-chdk-enhanced camera, but like ONE year on a chdk one :D

« Reply #4 on: 30 / April / 2008, 15:51:31 »
that dude probably was so excited to try chdk that he stuck the card in the cardreader the wrong way - maybe.
also you have to consider that you probably will set the write protection of the card very often. since it is only cheap plastic (the contacts are made of metal at least)

Yeah probably.

it is likely to break after about 10.000 uses, which is like a million years on a non-chdk-enhanced camera, but like ONE year on a chdk one :D
I always upload my pics straight from camera so i hardly take out the SD card.
I was thinking about this CHDK the same way that normal hard drive of a computer ... i mean, you can load bad stuff on it but if something goes tits up, you can always format it... right?

Thanks PhyrePhoX, ... have to trust a guy that has 666 posts  :D

Offline wontolla

• S3 & G9 & A720
« Reply #5 on: 01 / May / 2008, 12:18:11 »
I'll ask because it is still on topic:

also you have to consider that you probably will set the write protection of the card very often. since it is only cheap plastic

Have somebody ever tried to "modify" the card reader so you don't have to switch the protection of the SD card every time?

This way you can always leave it in "read only - autoload CHDK" and write from the PC without switching the little plastic 10,000 times.

My card reader is glued, so I ask before I "break" it.

Thanks PhyrePhoX, ... have to trust a guy that has 666 posts
You can trust him. Although 666 sounds a little bit diabolic.

Offline BB

« Reply #6 on: 01 / May / 2008, 13:09:47 »
I have read here (or at DPreview) that some cheap card readers don't even read the switch position...

Try your reader first before you try to pop it open and "fix" it.

Or just get the cheapest card reader you can find... Try it, and if you break it while moding it--no great loss.

-Bill

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #7 on: 01 / May / 2008, 13:47:29 »
also you have to consider that you probably will set the write protection of the card very often. since it is only cheap plastic
That's it - after extensive testing chdk on my 2 cameras now i have two SD cards (cheap ones) that formed cracks in the plastics beside the write protection slider  ;)

Solution:
I put some superglue on it and polished it with a needle file (after the glue was dry) :haha

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
« Reply #8 on: 02 / May / 2008, 03:56:14 »
Have somebody ever tried to "modify" the card reader so you don't have to switch the protection of the SD card every time?

EVAWR did. He shorted the pin to the ground, afair. Ask him for detail.
BTW. My cardreader has been broken after a year of CHDK using - now it ignores write protection at all. :)
CHDK Developer.

Offline wontolla

• S3 & G9 & A720
« Reply #9 on: 02 / May / 2008, 08:39:39 »
Thanks guys, I'll try to "fix" it. Will be back with instructions if I'm successful. Worst thing can happen is I have to buy a new one.

...now it ignores write protection at all. :)

Now that's what I call a reconfigurable device. It adapts to the user's needs. Isn't it amazing this new technology?