shooting nonstop in manual mode - long exposure allbest #37 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

shooting nonstop in manual mode - long exposure allbest #37

• 7 Replies
Advertisements
I'm hoping someone can guide me here with setting up long exposures with continuous shooting. I'm using my A640 to shoot lightning and I would like my camera to be set with the following.

F8 or higher
ISO 80 or lower
exposure of 15 seconds
infinite focus
and shooting nonstop till the memory is full.

I don't want to use any lightning scripts since I don't target ground strikes as much as I rather have sky sweeps. Basically if I could override the 6 photo limit I'd be happy. I know I know I tried to search but I can find the answer the the sea of post on Tv   or Av mode.

Thanks Guys!

Offline fbonomi

• A570IS SD1100/Ixus80
    • Francesco Bonomi
Re: shooting nonstop in manual mode - long exposure allbest #37
« Reply #1 on: 09 / June / 2008, 06:04:19 »
Mmhhh. I am not sure I understand your needs.
It all seems quite straightforward....

> F8 or higher
F11: That's a phyisical limitation of your camera. Just go in manual mode and select the highest value...

> ISO 80 or lower
Extra photo operations -> ISO override
you can SET values as low as 1 ISO, but I don't know what is the actual lowest value you can HAVE.
If you find out, you could update the info here:
CameraFeatures - CHDK Wiki

> exposure of 15 seconds
So, you want to shoot in the night only, ok?
Go in manual mode and set this value.

> infinite focus
Manual focus.

> shooting nonstop till the memory is full.
Continuous mode should be a standard feature for the A640, according to here: Canon PowerShot A640 Review: 1. Introduction:
it says: "Continuous Shooting 1.5 fps, limited by card capacity"

Am  I missing something?

« Reply #2 on: 09 / June / 2008, 06:46:47 »
The Canon A640 by default has a max # of exposures of 10 while shooting in continuous mode. (Sorry I said 6 in my op.) I been shooting with my above settings for years just fine. But after reading about all the functions available in this CHDK hack  I'd really like to override the 10 photo limit and shoot nonstop.

I understand the limitation of F8, just wasn't thinking about that at the time I posted. Course if I can override any of the other settings that would be great.
« Last Edit: 09 / June / 2008, 06:48:51 by Impact9 »

Offline wontolla

• S3 & G9 & A720
« Reply #3 on: 09 / June / 2008, 07:01:30 »
Fix all the parameters you want as fbonomi says. To override the 6 photo limit use the INTERVALOMETER script:

Code: (asm) [Select]
rem Interval shooting

@title Interval shooting
@param a Shoot count
@default a 10
@param b Interval (Minutes)
@default b 0
@param c Interval (Seconds)
@default c 10

t=b*60000+c*1000
if a<2 then let a=10
if t<1000 then let t=1000

print "Total time:", t*a/60000; "min", t*a%60000/1000; "sec"

sleep 1000

print "Shoot 1 of", a
shoot
for n=2 to a
    sleep t
    print "Shoot", n, "of", a
    shoot
next n

end

Set the script to take a zillion photos every 0 minutes and 0 seconds. The camera will take one picture immediately after the other until the memory is full.

Offline cyril42e

• SD1000/Ixus70 1.02a
    • CR-TEKnologies
« Reply #4 on: 09 / June / 2008, 07:17:27 »
I wrote a script called "open-shutter" for my SD1000 for this purpose (there are some hints to port it to other cameras, but you'll have to test...). I didn't post it on CHDK wiki/forum because I'm still making some improvements. Basically it:
- sets automatically continuous mode on the SD1000 using the GUI (as I wasn't able to write the propcase)
- sets automatically the desired picture size on DIGIC III cameras
- disables black frame subtraction
- computes the appropriate long exposure so that the background is well exposed (up to the limit of the camera, often 65")
- shoots continuously for a given time (if continuous shooting is interrupted, it is detected and restarted)
- restores the modified settings

You can add one line to set focus to infinite at the beginning, or do it manually before, same for ISO and aperture (there are ubasic commands and/or propcase values for all of these).

For the 6 photos limit, as fbonomi said it shouldn't be, this is maybe due to the speed of your card that could be too slow. Nevertheless maybe the restarting of continuous shooting when interrupted of my script will suit your needs...

Anyway, as it has not been tested on other cameras than SD1000, if you want to give it a try, you should read carefully the script, understand it, and adapt it carefully (especially for set_prop commands) before to test it.

Offline fbonomi

• A570IS SD1100/Ixus80
    • Francesco Bonomi
« Reply #5 on: 09 / June / 2008, 07:41:55 »

« Reply #6 on: 10 / June / 2008, 03:38:52 »
Impact9, I think you are confusing the "custom self-timer" with "continuous mode" (or "burst" mode)

Sorry guys I got the mode names confused. I need custom self-timer limit override. I take long exposure photos to catch lightning strikes. The custom self-timer works perfect aside from the limited 10 photos.
« Last Edit: 10 / June / 2008, 04:27:29 by Impact9 »

« Reply #7 on: 11 / June / 2008, 01:59:01 »
Just a quick confirmation.. the INTERVALOMETER script will work how I want? Thanks guys. I just can't stand the frustration as these last few days have been rather storm intensive and I haven't had alot of free time to run test.