Can not create badpixel.bin on Canon IXUS 220HS - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Can not create badpixel.bin on Canon IXUS 220HS

• 1 Replies
Can not create badpixel.bin on Canon IXUS 220HS
« on: 02 / June / 2016, 16:46:13 »
Advertisements
Hey

I've been using CHDK on my camera for the last month or so without any issues, and decided to give shots in RAW a go. However when I try to run create badpixel.bin, after a few seconds and two pictures I get the message "badpixel.bin failed" "Please try again". I tried it numerous times without any success.

I tried shooting in raw anyway, and the resulting DNG pictures have random coloured and dark pixels spread through out the picture (the bad pixels I assume). Is there anything I can do?

I found this other thread from a couple of years ago with the same issue, but no replies: https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=8235.msg86704#msg86704

--EDIT--

I finally managed to get things working (I think) by forcing the ISO down to a low number (90 I think). I thought of doing it thanks to a message on this thread: https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=12151.0

If you want to use the built in bad pixel interpolation in CHDK (DNG 1.1) with the bad pixel list detected at low ISO, then when you shoot at high ISO you may end up with pixels not being corrected. It's better to use the bad pixel list detected at high ISO - the cleanup code will ignore pixels in image that are not 0 even though they are in the list.

I'm not sure if this is "normal" behaviour or not, I'm quite new to all of this. I wonder if there will be issues with higher ISO pictures or not. My first tests with flash on seemed to work well though. :)
« Last Edit: 02 / June / 2016, 18:11:14 by ToastyTurnip »

Offline reyalp

Re: Can not create badpixel.bin on Canon IXUS 220HS
« Reply #1 on: 03 / June / 2016, 00:30:31 »
I'm not sure if this is "normal" behaviour or not, I'm quite new to all of this.
Some cameras seem to have trouble creating badpixel.bin, for reasons that aren't well understood.

An alternative is to use DNG 1.3 with software that understands badpixel opcodes, or is able to interpolate over 0 value pixels. Most adobe software should handle DNG 1.3 opcodes correctly. In other software, you may find an option to fix "dead" pixels that does a reasonable job.
Don't forget what the H stands for.