CHDK OSD obscuring display - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

CHDK OSD obscuring display

• 10 Replies
CHDK OSD obscuring display
« on: 29 / December / 2014, 16:02:21 »
Advertisements
Hi everyone, I hope I'm posting in the right forum.

When shooting or using the camera menu the CHDK OSD is disabled so that everything is visible. When pressing one of the quick setting buttons or FUNC/SET they remain on screen however. It would be alright if they stayed in the background but they obscure the camera functions. Is this a general issue or just with my camera? I'm using an SX50HS. How would I fix it if possible?

Re: CHDK OSD obscuring display
« Reply #1 on: 29 / December / 2014, 16:43:16 »
When shooting or using the camera menu the CHDK OSD is disabled so that everything is visible.
Are you sure?  This is not normal  behavior.  The OSD can be disabled either totally, or in playback mode, or if the Canon icons are toggled off via the DISP button.
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_1.3.0_User_Manual#Show_OSD

When pressing one of the quick setting buttons or FUNC/SET they remain on screen however.
This is "normal".

It would be alright if they stayed in the background but they obscure the camera functions. Is this a general issue or just with my camera? I'm using an SX50HS. How would I fix it if possible?
At the moment,  that's just how it works.  I suggested a possible way around that but it was not well recevied : http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=12046.msg119068#msg119068
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #2 on: 29 / December / 2014, 16:46:47 »
Is this a general issue or just with my camera? I'm using an SX50HS.
I'm guessing that CHDK can't differentiate between the shooting menu and some other Canon overlay, therefore CHDK OSD is enabled when the shooting menu is active.
How would I fix it if possible?
If you can compile CHDK, try removing / commenting
Code: [Select]
#define CAM_SHOW_OSD_IN_SHOOT_MENU          1from platform/sx50hs/platform_camera.h
Or ask for a test build.

At the moment,  that's just how it works.  I suggested a possible way around that but it was not well recevied : http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=12046.msg119068#msg119068
Hmmm. That was a misunderstanding then. I thought you mean the "rec" menu, not the shooting menu.

« Reply #3 on: 29 / December / 2014, 16:59:42 »
Hmmm. That was a misunderstanding then. I thought you mean the "rec" menu, not the shooting menu.
Not sure I know which is the "rec" and which is "shooting" menu?  "rec" is activated by the menu key and "shooting" is activated by the Func/Set key?

Regardless, my original suggestion was to disable all CHDK OSD stuff and disable the ability to enter <ALT> mode unless the camera is in playback or shooting mode ( i.e. no Canon menu of any type active).   As you indicated not liking to do that,  I added a suggestion that it could be user configurable.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #4 on: 29 / December / 2014, 17:08:30 »
Not sure I know which is the "rec" and which is "shooting" menu?  "rec" is activated by the menu key and "shooting" is activated by the Func/Set key?
Yes.

Regardless, my original suggestion was to disable all CHDK OSD stuff and disable the ability to enter <ALT> mode unless the camera is in playback or shooting mode ( i.e. no Canon menu of any type active).   As you indicated not liking to do that,  I added a suggestion that it could be user configurable.
IMHO we should fix the root of this problem instead.
Why is CAM_SHOW_OSD_IN_SHOOT_MENU enabled for this camera (and many other recent cameras)? It used to be required for some ancient VxWorks ports...
If canon_shoot_menu_active is not able to tell the difference between the visible/invisible state of the shooting menu, then we could perhaps base the detection on active_palette_buffer (if that is a reliable method).

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #5 on: 29 / December / 2014, 17:30:36 »
Why is CAM_SHOW_OSD_IN_SHOOT_MENU enabled for this camera (and many other recent cameras)? It used to be required for some ancient VxWorks ports...

The comments in camera.h are not very enlightening - it might help to understand what purpose this served. A forum search did not reveal any clues that I could find.

On my cameras it is enabled because using AEL and AFL also set the 'canon_shoot_menu_active' flag causing the CHDK OSD to disappear unless CAM_SHOW_OSD_IN_SHOOT_MENU is defined. The SX50 is probably the same.

Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #6 on: 29 / December / 2014, 18:22:05 »
On my cameras it is enabled because using AEL and AFL also set the 'canon_shoot_menu_active' flag causing the CHDK OSD to disappear unless CAM_SHOW_OSD_IN_SHOOT_MENU is defined.
This used to be the case on those old cameras too, looks like this has not changed (the a3200 port doesn't define CAM_SHOW_OSD_IN_SHOOT_MENU and the OSD indeed disappears when AFL is active).
If we could move this sort of thing out from gui_osd.c:
(canon_menu_active!=(int)&canon_menu_active-4) || canon_shoot_menu_active!=0to a function that can be overridden in the port, that could offer a solution to WW's problem (I think).
Or, if palette based detection proves to be useful in a larger group of cameras, we could enable it from platform_camera.h...?

I still don't think that completely disabling OSD (including in ALT mode) or disallowing ALT mode when a Canon menu is active is a good idea.

« Reply #7 on: 29 / December / 2014, 21:13:15 »
Hi everyone, I hope I'm posting in the right forum.
@ Prom : I'm not really certain that this thread answered your question or if it is actually even addressed your question.   But one thing we failed to mention is that you can disable individual parts of the CHDK OSD completely if you desired.  You can also use the CHDK OSD editor to reposition things that are displayed to where they will be least "in the way".

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #8 on: 30 / December / 2014, 11:31:08 »
Here's a possible solution (for trunk). The is_canon_menu_active() function can be overridden in platform code which allows using active_palette_buffer to determine whether the regular CHDK OSD should appear or not.
The function/variable names introduced in this patch are somewhat unfortunate.

« Reply #9 on: 30 / December / 2014, 21:58:55 »
On my cameras it is enabled because using AEL and AFL also set the 'canon_shoot_menu_active' flag causing the CHDK OSD to disappear unless CAM_SHOW_OSD_IN_SHOOT_MENU is defined.
This used to be the case on those old cameras too, looks like this has not changed (the a3200 port doesn't define CAM_SHOW_OSD_IN_SHOOT_MENU and the OSD indeed disappears when AFL is active).
If we could move this sort of thing out from gui_osd.c:
(canon_menu_active!=(int)&canon_menu_active-4) || canon_shoot_menu_active!=0to a function that can be overridden in the port, that could offer a solution to WW's problem (I think).
Or, if palette based detection proves to be useful in a larger group of cameras, we could enable it from platform_camera.h...?

I still don't think that completely disabling OSD (including in ALT mode) or disallowing ALT mode when a Canon menu is active is a good idea.
Ok, with everything going on here I'm not sure if everybody understands the problem correctly. So I'll just try to restate it more clearly.

The ALT mode works correctly imo. One wouldn't enable ALT mode if it wasn't needed at the time. It is and should be on top of other menus.

The problem is solely with the OSD elements that provide extra info when shooting. When pressing the shutter halfway the CHDK OSD disappears as it probably should and the camera displays extra shooting parameters. When entering the menu settings with the menu button the CHDK OSD also disappears. When pressing the FUNC/SET button or any of the other settings buttons including the frame button it doesn't however and remains as an overlay over the camera OSD.

The settings menu isn't a true menu and more of an impromptu OSD display. I don't know how CHDK picks up on when to switch off the OSD but it seems to be missing the signal when one of these OSD's are present.

@ Prom : I'm not really certain that this thread answered your question or if it is actually even addressed your question.   But one thing we failed to mention is that you can disable individual parts of the CHDK OSD completely if you desired.  You can also use the CHDK OSD editor to reposition things that are displayed to where they will be least "in the way".
I'm not sure it did either but in the mean time this is what I did. Only the elements I really need are displayed rather compact and out of the way. It's still annoying but I can make everything out at least.