Newbie says "...what?" - page 2 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum  

Newbie says "...what?"

• 16 Replies

Offline Doug

Re: Newbie says "...what?"
« Reply #10 on: 28 / December / 2014, 00:55:59 »
Advertisements
The factory firmware version is GM1.01c 

Like I mentioned, I use it mostly as a...well, a backup video camera. Don't shoot many stills with it. So I approach it differently then the average photographer would. It shoots okay in 720p, but like most videographers, I wish I knew when they decided that manual focus and iris control were no longer needed for video!!

Offline nafraf

« Reply #11 on: 28 / December / 2014, 08:13:32 »
It seems that this port doesn't support focus scan and optical zoom during video recording - probably for a good reason.
I tried to implement these features.
For focus scan, MakeAFScan seems to be located at 0xFF96CDFC.
For optical zoom during video recording, the problem is that UnsetZoomForMovie has not been identified, the seem problem affects other sxXXX models.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #12 on: 28 / December / 2014, 08:29:19 »
For focus scan, MakeAFScan seems to be located at 0xFF96CDFC.
AF scan can conflict with continuous AF (I don't know whether this camera supports AF during recording) and can crash some cameras even if there's no continuous AF. I'm not sure if OP wants to be a tester.
For optical zoom during video recording, the problem is that UnsetZoomForMovie has not been identified, the seem problem affects other sxXXX models.
The manual says that optical zoom is available during video recording, so this one is not needed.

Offline Doug

« Reply #13 on: 28 / December / 2014, 14:56:41 »
Yes, optical zoom works when shooting video, although it is very slow. No, I'm not opposed to testing if there's a usable result. My only concern is simple manual focusing in video (not a series of "steps" as people have been mentioning) and iris control (or lock) in video. That's it. I can get everything else I might need from the factory firmware.

Seems like a very simple problem, but apparently it's not!
« Last Edit: 28 / December / 2014, 15:00:17 by Doug »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #14 on: 28 / December / 2014, 15:16:10 »
reyalp,
Regarding manual focus you said, "However... this feature is not generally enabled on CHDK ports for cameras that have MF in the Canon firmware, since it was intended as an MF replacement. This is something that we should look into improving."

My camera HAS MF in the factory firmware, but it doesn't work in video mode, just stills. I use the camera mostly for video.
See correction by srsa. On my cameras, you can use MF in video mode, you just can't change it while video is recording. In other words, you could set focus to a fixed distance and start recording, and the camera would stay at that distance.

On my D10 with CHDK, I can set MF mode in video, start recording, and then use the shortcuts described earlier to change focus while recording. Your mileage may vary ;)
I'm not sure how useful this is in practice, without the enlarged focus window it's hard to really focus and the UI is pretty clumsy. The focus adjustment  also really needs to be non-linear instead of manually setting the increment.
« Last Edit: 29 / December / 2014, 01:15:29 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline Doug

« Reply #15 on: 29 / December / 2014, 00:41:15 »
reyalp, you said, "In other words, you could set focus to a fixed distance and start recording, and the camera would stay at that distance."

Yes, that's the way a number of Nikon's I've owned behaved, and I'm sure that the SX130 does as well on the stock firmware. But I want to be able to change focus while shooting if necessary. As far as the locked iris is concerned, I just get very tired of seeing the iris flicker when I move the camera from a light to a dark area. Makes for totally useless video.

I plan to try some of the advice next week (I am away from the camera at the moment).

Offline reyalp

« Reply #16 on: 29 / December / 2014, 01:22:05 »
Yes, that's the way a number of Nikon's I've owned behaved, and I'm sure that the SX130 does as well on the stock firmware. But I want to be able to change focus while shooting if necessary.
Right, and if the SX130 behaves like the D10 I have, you can do this using the steps I explained above. Whether it is usable enough to be practical for real world shooting... I don't know.

As far as the iris control goes, there are only the hacky video exposure controls scripts that have been mentioned earlier in the thread. They may or may not work on your camera, and again even if they do may not be practical for serious use.
Don't forget what the H stands for.