Install issues on a Mac - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Install issues on a Mac

• 3 Replies
Install issues on a Mac
« on: 15 / February / 2015, 17:48:53 »
Advertisements
Hey guys,

I'm installing the stable build for use on a SX40 and copying the files from the zip to the root of the SD card using a Mac, both in Finder and also tried on command line.

When booting the camera and going into the menus, there is no upgrade firmware option.

However, when using Windows and doing exactly the same workflow, there is the option to upgrade...

What is special about the Mac that maybe causing the issue??

I'm aware that there are a couple of installers available, e.g. Sticks, however I'm no happy installing java so am reluctant to use them.   8)

Thanks,
qt11
« Last Edit: 15 / February / 2015, 18:01:31 by qt11 »

Offline reyalp

Re: Install issues on a Mac
« Reply #1 on: 15 / February / 2015, 17:59:54 »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 15 / February / 2015, 18:07:06 »
yes, it was thank you !!

If copying from a Mac don't forget to:

Code: [Select]
xattr -d com.apple.quarantine DISKBOOT.BIN PS.FI2

Offline zeno

« Reply #3 on: 16 / February / 2015, 04:11:53 »
I understand your reluctance to install java, but it's worth pointing out that the security issues with java essentially relate to its use within browsers - as a language for stand-alone apps like mine it's no more risky than an app written in C, C++ or C#. And you can install the java run-time and prevent it running within a browser.

STICK (and ACID) do the unzipping of a build in a way which completely avoids the permissions issue you stumbled over.
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit